There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The second bye week

We need the bye more than ever because Gore will need the rest. He's gotta stay healthy with Hunter gone for the team to have a shot.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
We need the bye more than ever because Gore will need the rest. He's gotta stay healthy with Hunter gone for the team to have a shot.

breaking down the sched, we're going to lose 1 game at the very least IMO. that means we need gb and chicago to both lose at least 1 game. the play each other in chicago, but now urlacher among others is hurt. looking at gb's sched the could run the table, we're on thin ice cus we had a tie and our wins vs the teams earlier in the year now no longer mean jack s**t
Originally posted by elguapo:
Atl has the first one. So it is safe to say that the second bye week will be between the winner of the chi/gb and nyg/Dallas divisions. Assuming we lose 1 more game to new England or sea, and since the bears play gb and assuming no tie there, we probably cannot lose 2 games or else we miss out on the bye week.

I'm a little concerned if we lose 2 more we may be out of the playoffs even with our defense and running game. With a bye week we all know that our coaching staff prepares well especially if we get an extra week. What do you think? This rams loss really pisses me off bc if the refs got that intentional grounding call right (aside from Akers being inconsistent and the Christmas gift td we gave them).....we win the game and we could lose to new England and Seattle and still get the bye.

So you are saying that with a 10-5-1 record, we may be out of the playoffs? Sorry bud, but this is mathematically impossible.
Originally posted by crabman82:
breaking down the sched, we're going to lose 1 game at the very least IMO. that means we need gb and chicago to both lose at least 1 game. the play each other in chicago, but now urlacher among others is hurt. looking at gb's sched the could run the table, we're on thin ice cus we had a tie and our wins vs the teams earlier in the year now no longer mean jack s**t

Yep that tie to the Rams is basically a loss because we lose the h2h tiebreaker with GB and CHI and a divisional tie break with Seattle if it ever got to that.

But Green Bay really hasn't been playing that well - they're not as dominant as it was last year. I don't see either team running the table. 3-1 is a must and I think (hope) the Niners do it.
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
NFL says: CLINCHING SCENARIOS: San Francisco clinches a playoff spot with: 1) SF win + DAL loss + MIN loss + TB loss + WAS loss + STL loss or tie OR; 2) SF win + DAL loss + MIN loss + TB loss + WAS loss + SEA loss or tie.

In my mind, remain rhythm is more important than a second bye week....in particular for Keap.
[ Edited by Mayor88 on Dec 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Mayor88:
NFL says: CLINCHING SCENARIOS: San Francisco clinches a playoff spot with: 1) SF win + DAL loss + MIN loss + TB loss + WAS loss + STL loss or tie OR; 2) SF win + DAL loss + MIN loss + TB loss + WAS loss + SEA loss or tie.

In my mind, remain rhythm is more important than a second bye week....in particular for Keap.

its a bad move, who wants to go to green bay in january? took us 20 years to get a win there, i wouldnt count on 2 in 1 season
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
If you want to win the SB you have to be able to win against every team at every place....
Originally posted by Mayor88:
If you want to win the SB you have to be able to win against every team at every place....

no you dont. you win enough games where teams have to come to play you. for real, have the 49ers won a road playoff game since the nfc title game in chicago?
Originally posted by crabman82:
no you dont. you win enough games where teams have to come to play you. for real, have the 49ers won a road playoff game since the nfc title game in chicago?

They lost primarily to Dallas, Green Bay, and Atlanta in the '90s....but I don't put much stock on that road aspect because those were just better teams (or in the case of ATL, us losing Hearst) -- Dallas & Green Bay kicked our asses at the stick in their respective parts of the decade.

Lost to the Bucs on the road in '02 after coming back against Giants at home....but those Bucs were a vicious team.

And we played at home in our first playoff run since then last year, so yes, we haven't won a road playoff game since that Bears game.

There's a stat that Eli Manning has won more road playoff games than any QB in history, including Joe Montana. Guess what, Joe played in few road games, and back then you really were what your record said you were, so better teams tended to host games out of the norm.

Redskins in '83, Giants in '85 and '86....these were better teams at the time. The Bears in '88 were good, but when we peaked we were killing the NFC.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Dec 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We will crush MIA and all will be well in niner land again.

Esp if sea loses.

seattle is NOT losing to the Cards. The Cardinals are quite possibly the worst team in the NFL right now. Then, other than playing us at their house, the Seahawks schedule is cake. Bills and Rams.

If the rams are cake than what does that make us?

Esp if sea loses.

Agree
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Atl has the first one. So it is safe to say that the second bye week will be between the winner of the chi/gb and nyg/Dallas divisions. Assuming we lose 1 more game to new England or sea, and since the bears play gb and assuming no tie there, we probably cannot lose 2 games or else we miss out on the bye week.

I'm a little concerned if we lose 2 more we may be out of the playoffs even with our defense and running game. With a bye week we all know that our coaching staff prepares well especially if we get an extra week. What do you think? This rams loss really pisses me off bc if the refs got that intentional grounding call right (aside from Akers being inconsistent and the Christmas gift td we gave them).....we win the game and we could lose to new England and Seattle and still get the bye.

So you are saying that with a 10-5-1 record, we may be out of the playoffs? Sorry bud, but this is mathematically impossible.

No.....I meant out of the playoffs as in losing in the playoffs. I'm sure we will make the playoffs but without the bye week to prep kaep and company I think it doesn't look too great.....even with the best d and running game.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Esp if sea loses.

Agree

AZ isn't winning another game with Lindley or whatever his name is at QB.
I'm more worried about the giants not making the playoffs. I want to send these a*****es packing in the playoffs.