There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why does the offensive line continue to struggle in pass protection?

Staley is having a pitty party for himself and Smith. Needs to get over it. man up
Originally posted by Geeked:

The only thing that I believe Smith could have done was check off to a different play at the line of scrimmage.

This really shouldn't be minimized. I am seeing lots of stacked box against us, and we are running right at it. I have seen Ck7 change a play in prior games... why not yesterday?
Davis was getting owned all day. He has a nasty busted finger which may account for some of the misses.

However, the play calling was transparent and stubborn. There were no adjustments throughout the game. The Rams were blitzing every play and were not very creative doing so. There were few if any attempts to disguise the blitz.

When the 49ers went to the quick slants, things started to click again. Then Roman decided that he would go back to the game plan that didn't work.

I don't know, I'm not as disturbed with Kap, or the line as I am with Roman's complete pigheadedness in regards to running the plays HE wanted.

Roman was sailing into the wind the whole game and wouldn't budge.

A two year QB isn't going to be able to shine in that situation. An offensive line loses all it's advantage when the defense knows what's going to happen.
Ya the defense doesn't even try to hide their blitzes because they know the 49ers have a clueless OC who can't make adjustments.

And ya also the slants were working then Roman reverts back into running Gore into a cement wall again that wasn't working.

Fed up with Roman's BS let Geep Chryst take over as OC.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
jesus,., why did you knot start this thread earlier in the year. if find it, sad, amusing, comical, that some people act like they just woke up and found out the o line has sucked in pass protection . come on. all year we kept hearing about how alex takes sacks when the pocket collapses and ck does not. Lost in all that blather is the phrase "pocket collapse" it has f**king happened far to many times. it did last year, they did nothing to fix it in the off season and it has been that way this year. to roll out the shock and awe campaign and act like they were bad starting yesterday , is laughable? sad? i am not sure which one
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Staley is having a pitty party for himself and Smith. Needs to get over it. man up

staley did not deserve a pro bowl spot last year
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

The only thing that I believe Smith could have done was check off to a different play at the line of scrimmage.

This really shouldn't be minimized. I am seeing lots of stacked box against us, and we are running right at it. I have seen Ck7 change a play in prior games... why not yesterday?

I fear, with the way the game was called, Smith would have been benched for not sticking with the game plan........ You never know, that may be why he's benched now.

At the moment, I believe, Roman detaches himself from reality and calls whatever he decided to call on Thursday. This is what Fisher saw. Fisher wasn't game planning Kap, he was game planning Roman.

When you read Fisher's post game comments, that's what they boiled down. Roman can't adapt and you can beat the 49ers if you are able to foil the game plan up front. Don't worry about potential halftime adjustments or minor calling adjustments. Roman will ALWAYS go back to the game plan regardless of any potential success with playcalling adjustments.
I had to laugh when Aikman said this was the best OL in the league. Obviously he doesnt watch all their games. Strong run blocking unit ( although not yesterday) but not a good pass blocking line in my opinion. You would just think that with 3 #1 picks it would be better.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I had to laugh when Aikman said this was the best OL in the league. Obviously he doesnt watch all their games. Strong run blocking unit ( although not yesterday) but not a good pass blocking line in my opinion. You would just think that with 3 #1 picks it would be better.

Well, in all fairness, if you're blitzing 6 against 5 every play and the other team refuses to modify the passing routs to exploit the short yardage holes, you're going to get tremendous pressure on the QB.
Originally posted by jreff22:
always been a problem

This but its always been called an Alexexcuse. But now its a problem for Kap and not the other way around.

They had a subpar game yesterday but the last 2 games were very good and gave Kap tons of time.

Hoping they have it all together for the playoff run!
They just got outplayed Playing calling had nothing to do with Brockers manhandling Goodwin and Iupati all day. They couldn't stop him.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I'm kind of getting tired of hearing comments about how our O-line is "one of the best" myself. Stats may support this claim, especially in the run game, but the line failed the eye test whenever they go up against a good, strong DL like the Giants or Rams. Also, how can an O-line be considered one of the best when they are clearly bad at half of their duties, namely the pass blocking. I tend to agree with Gruden more (during the Bears game, at one point he mentioned that the 49ers O-line has been terrible at pass protection).
In the Rams game, I recalled seeing, on many occasions, a Ram defender having a free run at our QB right after the snap. Even elite QBs can't perform well under such conditions. We all saw how a strong Giants pass rush reduced Aaron Rodgers, unquestionably one of the truly "elite" QBs in the league, to a very average passer. I think that we have 2 very good QBs who can play very well if given time to throw, but IMO, even Montana himself would have struggled behind that O-line yesterday.
On top of that, the line was horrible at the one thing that they are supposed to be the best at, the run blocking. Rarely did they open any hole for Gore or Jacobs to run, and our RBs frequently were stuffed for negative yards. This is just unacceptable if we want to be known as a power running team.
At this point, I don't care who starts at QB going forward. One thing I do know is, unless the O-line steps it up big time in the next few weeks, we may end up being one and done in the wild card round.
Originally posted by lamontb:
They just got outplayed Playing calling had nothing to do with Brockers manhandling Goodwin and Iupati all day. They couldn't stop him.
It isn't the OL that is such a glaring problem. Every team has protection breakdowns.

Look, the OL isn't great at pass pro... they never were... but our issues arise more from:

(1) not having intelligent quick routes to combat the blitz

(2) the QB not willing to hit the quick routes to combat the blitz

(3) the QB not recognizing when and where pressure is coming from early on

Take the "safety" play, for instance....

8 man rush.... EIGHT.... that means there is only 3 defenders in coverage. Miller goes on a quick out just beyond the LOS. Crabtree runs a deep slant from the slot right vs the single high S. VD running a deep out on the other side and getting pressed by a LB the whole time... Mario runs a deep... fly or comeback (couldn't tell as he runs off my screen). Gore stays in to block outside rusher... QB is at the 7 yard line after PA drop... he sees pressure coming from LG as Goodwin allows the DT to get over his left shoulder.... He sees the the penetrating blitz LB coming up the A-gap...

What does the QB do? Does he throw to his outlet who is wide open? (Miller) No.... he scrambles right (into the area of Gore/outside rush) and then continues into the EZ as that rusher now has a clean angle and is reaching for him. Had he set and fired to Miller from his 7 yard line to Miller at the 16, then we are talking about a QB beating the blitz.

How to read formations? Note.....CK said ..I dindt learn anything from watching AS play.......you should of learn from AS....CK getting harbaughs ego....
Originally posted by 49ercrusher:
It isn't the OL that is such a glaring problem. Every team has protection breakdowns.

Look, the OL isn't great at pass pro... they never were... but our issues arise more from:

(1) not having intelligent quick routes to combat the blitz

(2) the QB not willing to hit the quick routes to combat the blitz

(3) the QB not recognizing when and where pressure is coming from early on

Take the "safety" play, for instance....

8 man rush.... EIGHT.... that means there is only 3 defenders in coverage. Miller goes on a quick out just beyond the LOS. Crabtree runs a deep slant from the slot right vs the single high S. VD running a deep out on the other side and getting pressed by a LB the whole time... Mario runs a deep... fly or comeback (couldn't tell as he runs off my screen). Gore stays in to block outside rusher... QB is at the 7 yard line after PA drop... he sees pressure coming from LG as Goodwin allows the DT to get over his left shoulder.... He sees the the penetrating blitz LB coming up the A-gap...

What does the QB do? Does he throw to his outlet who is wide open? (Miller) No.... he scrambles right (into the area of Gore/outside rush) and then continues into the EZ as that rusher now has a clean angle and is reaching for him. Had he set and fired to Miller from his 7 yard line to Miller at the 16, then we are talking about a QB beating the blitz.

How to read formations? Note.....CK said ..I dindt learn anything from watching AS play.......you should of learn from AS....CK getting harbaughs ego....
bro that was a fake article
The O-line in my oppinion had another sub-par performance yesterday. Mental break downs, and too much pressure on Kap is the reason the offense has sputtered these last few weeks. Only difference is Kap has the ability to avoid the rush a little better than Smith can. The O-line is very suspect when it comes to pass protection and has been for years now.

Side note: How the heck did Staley make the probowl last year