There are 178 users in the forums

Week 13: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Marv, we all hear you. But there is also logic in just taking a sack instead of running backwards 20 yards. Did the refs f**k us? Yeah, but you have to be able to see the other side of the coin, too.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Marv, we all hear you. But there is also logic in just taking a sack instead of running backwards 20 yards. Did the refs f**k us? Yeah, but you have to be able to see the other side of the coin, too.

I concede that running into the endzone wasn't the wisest course of action, but one of the big reasons he's in there to begin with is that he can escape the rush better than Alex can. He thought he could get away and get rid of the ball...and he did. I can't fault him for that.

BTW...I have now watched it AGAIN and I come away thinking more than ever that Kaep should be the QB.

Why?

He was NOT rattled. He made some young player mistakes, but he wasn't rattled.

What impressed me the most in this game with him was his confidense after mistakes and in tough situations. On third downs he is a MUCH, MUCH more clutch player than Alex has ever been. He makes the throws you need him to make even when he is standing in his own endzone.

When Alex makes a mistake, he tends to be fearful of making another. He turtles up and never throws it down the field again. Kaep doesn't do that.

On the next three plays after the lateral, he responded with a dart to Crabtree on an out, the 50 yard run, and then what should have been a TD to Walker. CLUTCH.

We are going to have to live with mistakes. He's young. I still think tho that he gives the 49ers the best chance to win a Super Bowl THIS YEAR.

BTW....What does this Rams D remind me of most? The Giants. STRONG rush and zone behind it. To all those peeps who say Alex would have done better, how did he fair against the Giants this year? Now I'm not saying that its a sure thing that Alex would have lost, I'm just saying its nothing close to a forgone conclusion that he would have won.

Moreover, would he have beaten the Bears? The Saints? Maybe. We'll never know. The D was lights out against both teams. I have my doubts tho against the Saints.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I concede that running into the endzone wasn't the wisest course of action, but one of the big reasons he's in there to begin with is that he can escape the rush better than Alex can. He thought he could get away and get rid of the ball...and he did. I can't fault him for that.

BTW...I have now watched it AGAIN and I come away thinking more than ever that Kaep should be the QB.

Why?

What impressed me the most in this game with him was his confidense after mistakes and in tough situations. On third downs he is a MUCH, MUCH more clutch player than Alex has ever been. He makes the throws you need him to make even when he is standing in his own endzone.

When Alex makes a mistake, he tends to be fearful of making another. He turtles up and never throws it down the field again. Kaep doesn't do that.

on the next three plays after the lateral, he responded with a dart to Crabtree on an out, the 50 yard run, and then what should have been a TD to Walker. CLUTCH.

We are going to have to love with mistakes. He's young. I still think tho that he gives the 49ers the best chance to win a Super Bowl THIS YEAR.

BTW....What does this Rams D remind me of most? The Giants. STRONG rush and zone behind it. To all those peeps who say Alex would have done better, how did he fair against the Giants this year? Now I'm not saying that its a sure thing that Alex would have lonst, I'm just saying its nothing close to a forgone conclusion that he would have won.

Moreover, would he have beaten the Bears? The Saints? Maybe. We'll never know. The D was lights out against both teams. I have my doubts tho against the Saints.
Enjoyed reading your post this week, as usual.

I have to agree with your assessment of Kaep. Irrespective of how well Alex has played to date, Kaep is the future.

As Alex said, that's a tough pill to swallow, but he's a consumate professional, and I fully expect that he'll work as hard as ever and would be prepared to step back in if ever called upon to do so.

Harbaugh is always preaching about how you're either getting better or getting worse, you don't stay the same. Reinstating Alex after he recovered from his concussion did not appear to be that forward step, so I can understand why they decided to go with Kaep instead. He appears to have a greater upside.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Why?

on the next three plays after the lateral, he responded with a dart to Crabtree on an out, the 50 yard run, and then what should have been a TD to Walker. CLUTCH.

We are going to have to love with mistakes. He's young. I still think tho that he gives the 49ers the best chance to win a Super Bowl THIS YEAR.

BTW....What does this Rams D remind me of most? The Giants. STRONG rush and zone behind it. To all those peeps who say Alex would have done better, how did he fair against the Giants this year? Now I'm not saying that its a sure thing that Alex would have lonst, I'm just saying its nothing close to a forgone conclusion that he would have won.

I have to agree with your assessment of Kaep. Irrespective of how well Alex has played to date, Kaep is the future.

As Alex said, that's a tough pill to swallow, but he's a consumate professional, and I fully expect that he'll work as hard as ever and would be prepared to step back in if ever called upon to do so.

Harbaugh is always preaching about how you're either getting better or getting worse, you don't stay the same. Reinstating Alex after he recovered from his concussion did not appear to be that forward step, so I can understand why they decided to go with Kaep instead. He appears to have a greater upside.

The other thing that bothers me is how people say that Harbaugh is showing no loyalty to Alex with this move.

Thats a bunch of BS.

Harbaugh owes Alex the exact same amount of loyalty as he owes every other player on the team. He should NOT keep Alex in there to be loyal if he thinks Kaep gives them a better chance to win the Super Bowl. If he truly believes that Kaep gives them a better shot (and I think he does), then keeping Alex in there is disloyal to the rest of the team.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Why?

The other thing that bothers me is how people say that Harbaugh is showing no loyalty to Alex with this move.

Thats a bunch of BS.

Harbaugh owes Alex the exact same amount of loyalty as he owes every other player on the team. He should NOT keep Alex in there to be loyal if he thinks Kaep gives them a better chance to win the Super Bowl. If he truly believes that Kaep gives them a better shot (and I think he does), then keeping Alex in there is disloyal to the rest of the team.

I agree 100% with you smart guys. CK has a chance to be a star in the league, Im not saying he will for sure but he has the tools to do it.
BTW....What does this Rams D remind me of most? The Giants. STRONG rush and zone behind it. To all those peeps who say Alex would have done better, how did he fair against the Giants this year? Now I'm not saying that its a sure thing that Alex would have lost, I'm just saying its nothing close to a forgone conclusion that he would have won.

Been saying the same thing all week Marv. I think if we inserted Alex into the game when it was 10-2, yes I think we have like a 99% chance we win.

But to say if Alex started we would have won is nothing more than baseless conjecture that I cant get behind. In fact, we have trends that say the exact opposite. How many times in Alex's career have the 49ers won the game when the running game was abysmal? I think the Bengals game last year might be the only time in the past 8 years where we can say that. And in that game, our defense had 3 turnovers and Alex didnt throw a touchdown pass.

Bottom line is, we have no idea if Alex would have won the Rams game this year. Theres no way to prove it. You can only look at trends and statistics to form the best opinion possible.
Good analyses as usual, Yeah it was just one of those games that we should have never lost but we have those every year, a lot of bad bad things had to happen for the Niners to lose and they happened. I think they will be fine, The Rams are becoming a very good team, not quite there yet but soon will be a player for the Division crown. They are undefeated in the NFC West so far!! Lets hope that continues in Seattle. I guess its going to be like last year and be the biggest NFC West game of the year when the Niners head to Seattle...AND FOR GODS SAKE...#46 CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone