LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Week 13: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Does anyone else see the irony in Zoners defending Kaep for committing the same mistakes they would have called Alex out to pasture for? I like Kaep and I would agree that after spending a second round pick on the guy, he deserves a shot to be the starter. My only gripe would be that you have nothing to gain my doing it in the middle of a championship run with a quarterback who is completing 70% of his passes and has one of the highest QBR's in the league. Unless Alex just started to play extremely crappy and cost us games you roll with the man. Right now I don't see us getting the best of Kaep because he is probably scared that if he makes too many mistakes he will be benched in the favor of Smith. On the same note, we can't go back to Smith, his confidence will be shot, his trust in the coaching staff is shot, and Jim would lose this team if he goes back to Alex. Nothing good has came out of starting Kaep... NOTHING.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Does anyone else see the irony in Zoners defending Kaep for committing the same mistakes they would have called Alex out to pasture for? I like Kaep and I would agree that after spending a second round pick on the guy, he deserves a shot to be the starter. My only gripe would be that you have nothing to gain my doing it in the middle of a championship run with a quarterback who is completing 70% of his passes and has one of the highest QBR's in the league. Unless Alex just started to play extremely crappy and cost us games you roll with the man. Right now I don't see us getting the best of Kaep because he is probably scared that if he makes too many mistakes he will be benched in the favor of Smith. On the same note, we can't go back to Smith, his confidence will be shot, his trust in the coaching staff is shot, and Jim would lose this team if he goes back to Alex. Nothing good has came out of starting Kaep... NOTHING.

I think you were looking for this thread lol
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Sorry about that.

1). The Rams had an answer for almost all of our plays. In the 2nd half Roman made no adjustments. It was reminiscent of Bozo the Singletary's 3 Frank Gore runs up the middle and punt. Coaching = F-

2). Andy Lee played excellent [Can he kick Field Goals?]

3). Delaine "Butterfingers" Walker is the most inconsistent player n te team. Inexcusable drop!

4). STUPID plenalties [reflects back to coaching] Goldson is good for 1-2 a game.

Although the play was probably unnecessary.... I thought Bradford slid really late and it was obvious Goldson made no helment to helment contact... bad call by the refs.... but unnecessary play to begin with.

I'm fine with that play penalty included. Bradford just ran the play before and here he goes again. Goldson owns the middle of the field you will not enter without taking a vicious hit. Just ask Colston or Mike Williams. Everyone else wishes they had Goldson on their team.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I'm fine with that play penalty included. Bradford just ran the play before and here he goes again. Goldson owns the middle of the field you will not enter without taking a vicious hit. Just ask Colston or Mike Williams. Everyone else wishes they had Goldson on their team.

He should know better.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
There is definitely something wrong. I mean Kendall Hunter was a rookie last year, yet he played from the get go and appeared to be a really good player right away.

I will be worried if he's inactive the entire season. Gore/Jacobs don't complement each other at all.

It's too bad we can't make Ginn inactive. He's a total waste of space right now.

We got no other return men on the roster.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

He should know better.

I second that. It was a flipping QB. EVERYBODY in the league knows that you can't even sneeze on a QB without a penalty.

Goldson dove head first into the quarterback. I don't care if he was committed or whatever, or if there was no "helmet to helmet", the refs are told all the time to "protect the quarterbacks". If there is any question about it, they side with the quarterback. Goldson is an idiot. I can't see us paying him infinity billion dollars (which is what he thinks he's worth) if he continues these idiotic plays.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Dec 4, 2012 at 4:26 AM ]
Agree Brian.

Goldson is good for one Bonehead penalty a game.

This reflects on the coaching. That penalty kept the Rams drive alive and as far as I'm concerned was just as bad as Butterfingers Walker's drop.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
After watching the game again last night:

1.) Kaepernick played well. He made one bad pitch which resulted in a disastrous play. The coaches put him in a bad position. Risky call. Furthermore, Kap totally redeemed himself on the next drive; rushing for 50 yards, then throwing a PERFECT touchdown pass to Walker, which Delanie dropped. Should've won the game right there.

2.) Seems like Roman runs hot and cold. Genius one week. Predictable, uninspired football drone the next.

3.) The defense really only allowed five points in regulation: one field goal and one 2 point conversion. A great game by them squandered by the offense and special teams.

9.) Agree. Walker was brilliant on several plays AND made a couple of game changing mistakes.

10.) Penalties were one of the keys to the loss. In a close game, penalties kill you. Need to clean this up. But the most damaging penalty - the intentional grounding leading to a safety - was a blown call plain and simple.

I can't believe how many game changing bad calls I've seen all across the league this season. Why does the league employ instant replay if they're not going to use it to get the calls right?

11.) Crabtree is becoming a force. It's irritating that it's taken this long to develop, but he's playing great. Hard nosed, clutch player.

Finally, if you read other fan sites, you'll notice that fans always blame their own team for losses, while ignoring the achievements of their opponent. In this game, it should be said that the Rams played well. A gritty performance by them, and Jeff Fisher is one of the best coaches in the league. On our side, numerous mistakes, penalties (including one really bad call by the refs), and a lackluster game plan on offense cost us a very close game.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Man I vehemently defended this years draft up to to this last week or so, mostly because of faith in Baalke and his amazing draft last year.

But I just can't do it with conviction anymore. The nail in the coffin for me was when MM went down in this last game and AJ was suited up but Ginn was still our 3rd WR. That's just completely unacceptable to me, Ginn has never been considered a good receiver by an means and our # 1 draft pick can't start over him!?

For the most part I used the "we have crazy depth" argument. But that goes out the window when we lose a WR and RB and our #1(WR) and #2(RB) STILL can't sniff the field.

I hope I am wrong, I really do but so far the proof is in the puddin.
I have said this since week 3......after the rookie class had been with the team for over 2 months. Right now the vast majority of this draft looks like failure.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I have said this since week 3......after the rookie class had been with the team for over 2 months. Right now the vast majority of this draft looks like failure.

Maybe a bit too early to say failure, but I do think it was a "concern" when #1 and #2 picks aren't even active for games, and "red flag" when they can't sniff the field after injuries to players at their positions.

Lots of bad/bonehead plays in the Rams game, but overall I think it was horrible coaching/gameplan that doomed the Niners. Gore had 34 yds on first 3 carries, then they kept slamming him up the gut to the tune of 20 yds on his next 18 carries. Stupid. And really foolish considering you have a speed back standing on the sidelines in a t-shirt.

And once they seemed to figure out in the 2nd half that the Rams were taking away anything deep, Kaep was able to hit Crabtree on slants/short routes almost at-will. So then why stop and still insist on 1-yd rushes from Gore?

Why keep pretending this is the 2011 version of Akers and play for long FGs?

I really thought they had learned a lesson after the first Rams game. They need to pull their heads out, Dolphins are tough and the schedule doesn't get any easier.

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Maybe a bit too early to say failure, but I do think it was a "concern" when #1 and #2 picks aren't even active for games, and "red flag" when they can't sniff the field after injuries to players at their positions.

Jenkins-0 snaps, cant surpass Ginn
James-0 snaps, cant surpass Dixon
Looney-cant surpass L Davis
Fleming-torn ACL probably will get cut next year
Robinson-very few snaps, ST only
Slowey-Cut
Johnson-Practice Squad

That looks like complete dog s**t.
condemning guys who have yet to step on the field when they have no clue what the Coaches plan for them is. All people are doing is assuming they can't play. Show me where anyone from the team has said they just can't cut it. I know about the crabtree interview but alot to learn can be said about any rookie even Luck and RG3.
Originally posted by kingairta:
condemning guys who have yet to step on the field when they have no clue what the Coaches plan for them is. All people are doing is assuming they can't play. Show me where anyone from the team has said they just can't cut it. I know about the crabtree interview but alot to learn can be said about any rookie even Luck and RG3.

almost the entire class last year played and played early and the plan for them....catch the ball, run the ball, block, etc etc

its not hard
Comparing this year to last year is irrelevant.
Originally posted by kingairta:
Comparing this year to last year is irrelevant.

No its not.
Share 49ersWebzone