There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 13: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by Geeked:
The most AWESOME PART! If you're going to be conservative and not throw it down field WHY ON GODS GREAN EARTH do you give all but one receiver routs that mature after 15 yards.........AND run a couple successful short pass plays only to shut them down for NO apparent reason.

I'm starting to think that long pass to Kyle Williams the other week was an abhoration. If they truely wanted a game manager to throw 15 yard dinks why did they bench Alex? This makes NOOOOOOOOOOOO sense to me. Starting Kaep and drawing up a "game manager" game plan is like bringing in Nolan Ryan from the bull pen and having him throw change ups and curve balls all game long.

Guess I'm disappointed because I thought Harbaugh was a clever guy. He's turned this team into a clusterf*ck.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
PLEASE STOP THROWING TO WALKER

A week after he has the 2 biggest catches of the game vs. the Saints....lol
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by drakan:
Because it was the right call and would have worked if buttfingers could catch the ball. the bad part was throwing to walker and not vd.

Receivers drop passes from time to time...it's part of the game. should have played it safe and milked the clock, but then again Harbaugh loves to gamble.

The ball was right in his hands, there is no excuse for that type of drop at that critical time

The only thing I would add; we didn't run sht all day
We were going for the killshot. Rams expected us to run on all 3 downs to run the clock. It was a good playcall and a nice throw by Kaep. Walker just flat out dropped it. He catches that and we win. Can't fault the coaches for trying to ice the game right then and there.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Because it was the right call and would have worked if buttfingers could catch the ball. the bad part was throwing to walker and not vd.

Receivers drop passes from time to time...it's part of the game. It was an unnecessary gamble that backfired. Should have played it safe and milked the clock, but then again Harbaugh loves to gamble.

f**k playing it safe, go for the kill

Sweep the leg
Body bag
Pete, not many posts, but I wondered same thing...I stll think Harbaw is a clever guy. But this game was a fustercluck, courtesy of grotesquely bad coaching calls. And Command is right...I do believe the coaches at some point started coaching down to Kap...who was plenty shook in this game, despite some great plays.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 3, 2012 at 9:13 PM ]
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Receivers drop passes from time to time...it's part of the game. It was an unnecessary gamble that backfired. Should have played it safe and milked the clock, but then again Harbaugh loves to gamble.

f**k playing it safe, go for the kill

Sweep the leg

Yeah. and I mean it's not like Gore & Jacobs + our o-line were having a blue-ribbon day on their front seven. Beyond Kaep's scrambles, we accomplished nothing on the ground, once again out-muscled.
I struggle with the OC getting too cute. Their D puts them in position for a W, and doesn't need to be put in positions of jeopardy as much as they are.

That said, there were a bunch of whiffs in this game that led to the loss.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
No way the Rams come back and score a TD. that offense did nothing on Sunday. The mistake on that drive was Kaep running out of bounds

That + walker drop + walker hold + Goldson penalty = OT

Ya, Walker should get the s**t kicked out of him. He drops a perfectly throw ball right in his hands. What does he do immediately after that as a follow-up on, if I remember correctly a good Gore run, he holds. Get the f**k outta here...seriously...what the f**k.
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm starting to think that long pass to Kyle Williams the other week was an abhoration. If they truely wanted a game manager to throw 15 yard dinks why did they bench Alex? This makes NOOOOOOOOOOOO sense to me. Starting Kaep and drawing up a "game manager" game plan is like bringing in Nolan Ryan from the bull pen and having him throw change ups and curve balls all game long.

Guess I'm disappointed because I thought Harbaugh was a clever guy. He's turned this team into a clusterf*ck.

Agreed. I think Harbaugh is quickly losing his charm.
Originally posted by area49:
Originally posted by pete98146:

Agreed. I think Harbaugh is quickly losing his charm.

Have you been to the new stadium in Santa Clara?
Originally posted by HearstFan:

1. Hunter's stretch runs were sorely missed, the defense was crashing gaps hard looking for Gore. The 49ers have a really difficult time with disruptive defensive line schemes - Giants, new Rams, old AZ capabilities. Hunter's stretch runs helped keep them honest. Kap's scrambles should help too eventually. James may be the solution here, certainly not Jacobs (although I have been waiting to see him!)

almost as disappointing as the loss, was not seeing LMJ activated. do not understand this.

Ginn at tail back.................
Great post Marvin49. To me Vernon should have been the one running Walkers route when he dropped the pass. I do believe Roman's playcalling was not very good most of the game.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Pete, not many posts, but I wondered same thing...I stll think Harbaw is a clever guy. But this game was a fustercluck, courtesy of grotesquely bad coaching calls. Andy Command is right...I do believe the coaches at some point started coaching down to Kap...who was plenty shook in this game, despite some great plays.

Watched the game again and more evidence of CK possibly being coached down like Alex. General offensive notes (most already covered):
  • Lots of check downs (Gore still can't catch) esp. to Miller - eye on the outlet
  • Tons of scrambles under 3 seconds (mostly short runs out of bounds)
  • 3 sacks, countless other pressures/hits/safety/pressure toss back (for a defensive TD)
  • Max protect. designed roll-outs but with minimal receiving options (still a piss poor ad lib team)
  • How many runs between the tackles? Like every single one! Jacobs got a couple 3rd and shorts.
  • Most slants I've seen in one game since the 90's (why not stay with it?)
  • VD, Walker only 3 total catches
  • 15 catches by the WR's which is good. Crabtree tied the season high for catches with 7. Most passes were well underneath (inside 10 yards with little to no RAC) including the perpetual, short-of-the-endzone pass plays
  • Lots of loss of yardage plays
  • More drops (receivers running routes short of the marker again)
  • Missed a few receivers that lead to negative/futile plays (VD, Crabtree, Moss in the EZ = FG instead, etc.)
  • One deep pass (attempted)
  • Threw into triple coverage when VD and Gore (split out wide) we both wide open
  • We struggle against 4-3 defenses (where the DE's are active and can contain the edges)
Anyone realize crabtree went over 100 yards?