There are 193 users in the forums

Week 13: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
for no specific reason, there was a point during this game when i was wondering if alex being overly cautious with the ball was by the coaches design and not because of any limitation in his abilities...............

THIS! I called this the second after CK finished the Bears game.

I warned people that they are in for a rude awakening if they think the coaches won't start coaching DOWN CK to their conservative nature. People forget where Alex came from; over the last 1.5 years he was molded into what HaRoman felt would equate to wins. Now, already, we are seeing the exact same thing: don't turn the ball over (don't throw into triple coverage), use your legs to run and get out of trouble, don't throw deep and the low percentage plays, etc.

I'm wondering if the rolls and kill plays are the same plays...just two different variations. For instance, he goes to the LOS and has TWO run plays or TWO pass plays. But not one pass play and one run play. B/c it is beyond obvious to everyone in the building it's going to be a run all the way and the defense has stacked 9 in the box to stop it...yet...it's a hike and into the brick wall we go.
That pitch was the worst play I've seen called in the Harbaugh era.

WTF were they thinking? I don't know, but I never wanna see anything like that again.
The 49ers could've won the game if not for that horrible play call.

LAME
This was very close to as dumb as the pitch to me. There was approximately 1:45 left, the rams only have 2 timeouts, and it's first down. Get the clock moving again at all costs! Yes, Delanie should have caught the ball. But the rams will have a harder time winning the game if we run Gore up the middle 3 times than if we score a TD on 1st down. They'd have about a minute to try to get in FG position WITH NO TIMEOUTS rather than 1:40 and 2 timeouts to score a TD. Then there is the chance that by running 3 times we pick up a 1st down and they literally never even see the ball again! The way we were running it may be long odds that we get the 1st down, but it's no less likely than scoring a TD on the Delanie play. So what do we do? Pass on 1st down (the dropped TD) run once and hold while doing it then have Kaep run out of bounds and stop the clock again! The way all teams (even elite defenses) play at the end of games, we gave the rams 1:30 and a timeout, we could have lost in regulation a decent amount of the time! Just horrific play calling - beyond words stupid... If you want to pass on 3rd down to try to get a TD AFTER the rams have used both timeouts, that might be excusable as long as there is a run option for Kaep and he is told only to throw the ball if someone is wide open. But to pass on 1st down in this situation was unforgivable. Whoever called this play (whether it was Roman, Harbaugh, or a Kaep audible) did us a tremendous disservice. It may not quite as bad as the pitch, but to me it was close.
No way the Rams come back and score a TD. that offense did nothing on Sunday. The mistake on that drive was Kaep running out of bounds
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bpg4980:
This was very close to as dumb as the pitch to me. There was approximately 1:45 left, the rams only have 2 timeouts, and it's first down. Get the clock moving again at all costs! Yes, Delanie should have caught the ball. But the rams will have a harder time winning the game if we run Gore up the middle 3 times than if we score a TD on 1st down. They'd have about a minute to try to get in FG position WITH NO TIMEOUTS rather than 1:40 and 2 timeouts to score a TD. Then there is the chance that by running 3 times we pick up a 1st down and they literally never even see the ball again! The way we were running it may be long odds that we get the 1st down, but it's no less likely than scoring a TD on the Delanie play. So what do we do? Pass on 1st down (the dropped TD) run once and hold while doing it then have Kaep run out of bounds and stop the clock again! The way all teams (even elite defenses) play at the end of games, we gave the rams 1:30 and a timeout, we could have lost in regulation a decent amount of the time! Just horrific play calling - beyond words stupid... If you want to pass on 3rd down to try to get a TD AFTER the rams have used both timeouts, that might be excusable as long as there is a run option for Kaep and he is told only to throw the ball if someone is wide open. But to pass on 1st down in this situation was unforgivable. Whoever called this play (whether it was Roman, Harbaugh, or a Kaep audible) did us a tremendous disservice. It may not quite as bad as the pitch, but to me it was close.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
and yea, we all agree that play calling had a lot to do with this loss.
Kaep audibled to the pass?
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
No way the Rams come back and score a TD. that offense did nothing on Sunday. The mistake on that drive was Kaep running out of bounds

That + walker drop + walker hold + Goldson penalty = OT
Because even if Kaep
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

still 3 runs up the gut forcing the rams to use both time outs leaves them with less then a minute to drive to 35-40 for a makable FG attempt. Which is even more unlikely then them scoring a TD even if Walker had caught that ball.

Bad playing calling / clock management by coaches. Bad clock management / decision making by Kaepernick outweigh Walker's bad hands. Even if Walker caught that TD I would still be scratching my head saying What if he dropped it?

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
for no specific reason, there was a point during this game when i was wondering if alex being overly cautious with the ball was by the coaches design and not because of any limitation in his abilities...............

THIS! I called this the second after CK finished the Bears game.

I warned people that they are in for a rude awakening if they think the coaches won't start coaching DOWN CK to their conservative nature. People forget where Alex came from; over the last 1.5 years he was molded into what HaRoman felt would equate to wins. Now, already, we are seeing the exact same thing: don't turn the ball over (don't throw into triple coverage), use your legs to run and get out of trouble, don't throw deep and the low percentage plays, etc.

I'm wondering if the rolls and kill plays are the same plays...just two different variations. For instance, he goes to the LOS and has TWO run plays or TWO pass plays. But not one pass play and one run play. B/c it is beyond obvious to everyone in the building it's going to be a run all the way and the defense has stacked 9 in the box to stop it...yet...it's a hike and into the brick wall we go.

The most AWESOME PART! If you're going to be conservative and not throw it down field WHY ON GODS GREAN EARTH do you give all but one receiver routs that mature after 15 yards.........AND run a couple successful short pass plays only to shut them down for NO apparent reason.
We did so much in that game to beat ourselves it was absurd almost painful to witness. So many things went wrong in this cluster f**k of a failure. Is there anybody on this team that didn't fail and help the Rams win? It was a struggle but slowly and surely we beat ourselves every chance we got. It is a miracle that the game was that close considering the s**t show we put on the field.

The defense is about the only thing that was on point and even they were getting stupid penalties that cost us.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Because it was the right call and would have worked if buttfingers could catch the ball. the bad part was throwing to walker and not vd.
Originally posted by susweel:
Because it was the right call and would have worked if buttfingers could catch the ball. the bad part was throwing to walker and not vd.

Receivers drop passes from time to time...it's part of the game. It was an unnecessary gamble that backfired. Should have played it safe and milked the clock, but then again Harbaugh loves to gamble.
[ Edited by drakan on Dec 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by drakan:
Originally posted by susweel:

Receivers drop passes from time to time...it's part of the game. It was an unnecessary gamble that backfired. Should have played it safe and milked the clock, but then again Harbaugh loves to gamble.

f**k playing it safe, go for the kill
Share 49ersWebzone