There are 207 users in the forums

IF YOU WERE ALEX SMITH WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If I were Alex I'd find a good realtor. His days in SF are over. I mean come on, what else can be said? I realize there are a handful of Alex fans out there but it's time to move on and accept the new regime.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Just keep being himself. He will get another chance, BET. Win the Super Bowl, hoist the MVP trophy, and then hold out for a fat contract. When the 49ers don't give it to him, go play for someone else. F this back stabbing franchise.

Really? You're going to say that about our franchise over one player?

One player? How old are you, dude? Do you have any idea how many times, and in how many ways, Alex Smith has been screwed over by the 49ers? It's organization? It's coaches? It's fans?

The cluelessness of some people is amazing. The guy deserves better than anyone associated with the organization has given him. And save me the paycheck BS - EVERY player in the NFL is "overpaid" for playing a "game."

If I were Smith, I would play my way into a huge contract, or bounce.

please list all of the ways this *horrible* *backstabbing* organization has screwed him?

any other team that had to draft him #1 overall, he would most likely be out of the league after 3 years...or at least not starting.

If you really need me to list these things for you, you're not a 49ers fan. Or you just became one recently.

Says the guy who says Alex Smith should hold out.

I don't get your point? Because I think Smith is unappreciated and underpaid, I'm not a 49ers fan? Call me crazy, but I'm a fan of the PLAYERS, not the organization/ownership.

Just giving you some of your own medicine. Kinda lame, isn't it?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Just keep being himself. He will get another chance, BET. Win the Super Bowl, hoist the MVP trophy, and then hold out for a fat contract. When the 49ers don't give it to him, go play for someone else. F this back stabbing franchise.

One player? How old are you, dude? Do you have any idea how many times, and in how many ways, Alex Smith has been screwed over by the 49ers? It's organization? It's coaches? It's fans?

The cluelessness of some people is amazing. The guy deserves better than anyone associated with the organization has given him. And save me the paycheck BS - EVERY player in the NFL is "overpaid" for playing a "game."

How old are YOU. Seriously dude...he's not even a free agent. Hold out for huge contract?

At least have a clue when you post.
Yes, hold out for a huge contract. Players do it all the time, when they outplay their crappy contracts. If Smith wins the Super Bowl this year, and is the Super Bowl MVP, you think he's only worth $8 million/year?

Get a clue.

SMDH.

Anyone who is an advocate of Alex Smith holding out for a bigger contract has no right to be critical of ANYONES fandom.

...and dude, he ain't holding out for more money one year into his contract. Get real. PLayers don't hold out after one freakin year.

One year? It will be the 2nd solid year in a row. And again, if he was the Super Bowl MVP, don't you think he'd be worth more than $8 million/year? If you were Smith, would you play in 2013 for $8 million, after the way the organization treated you?

And again, why is my fandom being called into question because I'm siding with a player? If Colin ends up being the starter, he should hold out too. $500k for a starting NFL QB? That's a joke.

How old are YOU. Seriously dude...he's not even a free agent. Hold out for huge contract?

Yes, hold out for a huge contract. Players do it all the time, when they outplay their crappy contracts. If Smith wins the Super Bowl this year, and is the Super Bowl MVP, you think he's only worth $8 million/year?

Get a clue.

I have to say that Alex Smith's next contract will be for way more then $8 million a season with the 49ers or without the 49ers, some team is going to give him a huge contract and it will not be the 49ers no matter what happens from here on out. Alex will not let the 49ers toss him under the
bus again.

Jimmy H should have started Alex in this game.

At this point Jimmy H or anyone asking Alex Smith to take the 49ers to the Super Bowl is just dumb. Alex stats look damm good at this point to start with other teams on a new contract.........

Get a clue.

SMDH.

Anyone who is an advocate of Alex Smith holding out for a bigger contract has no right to be critical of ANYONES fandom.

...and dude, he ain't holding out for more money one year into his contract. Get real. PLayers don't hold out after one freakin year.

One year? It will be the 2nd solid year in a row. And again, if he was the Super Bowl MVP, don't you think he'd be worth more than $8 million/year? If you were Smith, would you play in 2013 for $8 million, after the way the organization treated you?

And again, why is my fandom being called into question because I'm siding with a player? If Colin ends up being the starter, he should hold out too. $500k for a starting NFL QB? That's a joke.

One year into his CONTRACT. He was just signed this offseason. He still has 2 years left. Not that complicated.

I don't call anyones fandom into question. I just cracked down on YOU for doing it to another poster.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erJim:

Get a clue.

I have to say that Alex Smith's next contract will be for way more then $8 million a season with the 49ers or without the 49ers, some team is going to give him a huge contract and it will not be the 49ers no matter what happens from here on out. Alex will not let the 49ers toss him under the
bus again.

At this point Jimmy H or anyone asking Alex Smith to take the 49ers to the Super Bowl is just dumb. Alex stats look damm good at this point to start with other teams on a new contract.........
Jim, I agree. If I were Alex I would do whatever I could to get out of SF. I'm a 49ers fan, but I'm ashamed at how our organization and coach have handled this. Smith deserves better, and I hope he gets it.

I guess that makes me less of a 49ers fan, because I'm rooting for a player.

please list all of the ways this *horrible* *backstabbing* organization has screwed him?

any other team that had to draft him #1 overall, he would most likely be out of the league after 3 years...or at least not starting.

If you really need me to list these things for you, you're not a 49ers fan. Or you just became one recently.

Marvin, you're one of the most respected posters on the board but what he says makes sense from Alex's point of view. The FO & coaches haven't given him any security as QB, so if he gets another opportunity he's gotta go balls out and win the title. Then the FO needs to give him his due with a big contract...

Even if he doesn't get another shot with the 9ers, and they still want to keep him as back up then if I'm Alex I still hold out. That money tied up in cap space is worth more on a guy that shows up therefore securing his release.

Then he signs with the Cards and he tears it up with Larry Fitz.

P.S. I'm really interested to see what happens with Sean Payton. I have a feeling Jerry goes after him and Payton looks for someone like Alex to be Brees 2.0
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Get a clue.

SMDH.

One year into his CONTRACT. He was just signed this offseason. He still has 2 years left. Not that complicated.

I don't call anyones fandom into question. I just cracked down on YOU for doing it to another poster.
I did it to the other poster because he couldn't remember the things that the organization has done to Smith. Come on now.

And why are you emphasizing "contract?" Do the owners honor those same contracts when the player underperforms? No, they don't.

It's rather creepy that you are siding with the organization over the players. I bet you're a republican.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AUniner:

Marvin, you're one of the most respected posters on the board but what he says makes sense from Alex's point of view. The FO & coaches haven't given him any security as QB, so if he gets another opportunity he's gotta go balls out and win the title. Then the FO needs to give him his due with a big contract...

Even if he doesn't get another shot with the 9ers, and they still want to keep him as back up then if I'm Alex I still hold out. That money tied up in cap space is worth more on a guy that shows up therefore securing his release.

P.S. I'm really interested to see what happens with Sean Payton. I have a feeling Jerry goes after him and Payton looks for someone like Alex to be Brees 2.0

I couldn't have said it better myself...
I think its really pretty obvious................

this year:
Smith should and will fulfill his contract. He will help Kap on the sideline and do whatever is needed to help the team win. If he gets called on to play he will play to the best of his ability

off season:
Smith will ask for a trade or a release. Obviously the Niners will not bring him back and will either give him a signing bonus and then deal him or simply release him.
If I was Smith, I would sign with Arizona. Being a competitor I would want to pay them back 2 times a year.

There really is no other answer to this in my opinion. End thread j/k

Jim, I agree. If I were Alex I would do whatever I could to get out of SF. I'm a 49ers fan, but I'm ashamed at how our organization and coach have handled this. Smith deserves better, and I hope he gets it.

There is nothing wrong with that. I disliked the Terry Donahue run 49ers organization with a passion for all of the players' moves. Yet I remain a fan of the team.
Originally posted by 49erJim:

Get a clue.

bus again.

I am just a 49er fan who's been around for a long time, I have been on Alex side and not on his side, but in this case this season I have to say that he has been screwed over big time by Jimmy H and the 49ers. This might be as bad as its ever been done to a Pro NFL QB starter.

I think something has happened that none of us know about between Jimmy H and Alex Smith. Either Jimmy H is one huge a$$ hole or Alex and Jimmy H have a problem with each other.........Alex is playing it right for now, but I have a feeling this is going to get UGLY soon.

Either way Alex Smith gets a huge new contract with another team, so I do not feel that bad for Alex, other then he did nothing wrong for losing his starting QB job.......unless there is something that we don't know about? One thing is for sure that Alex is getting screwed and that Jimmy H has turned his back on Alex Smith big time. So something is very wrong here.
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by postal509:
Besides Akers chocking again, nobody seems to notice we had no running game. Gore was not getting any where. I felt Smith would not have played as poor as Cap today, but Alex should wait til his time comes and remember this is a business. It was a team effort losing today from Jimmy H down to O-line not blocking to missing an easy FG!

The problem is Smith can be re-installed as a starter, but he knows that he would be playing on borrowed time. He does not have job security even if he wins the Superbowl. Many people would seek opportunity somewhere else. Smith will most likely do the same.

Any snaps Alex gets now are an audition for his new team next year. He has 20+ wins since getting out from under 2 of the worst coaches in franchise history. I thnk he'll be a hot commodity on the FA market next spring. Possible destinations....... Jets, KC, Cards (ugh!), Jax, Eagles and maybe Oakland, Dallas or SD if there are coaching changes.

I think Harbaugh will lose some credibility in the locker room over this. His public support of Alex over the past 2 years has been prolific but now it looks fake with this move. Add this to his use of Randy Moss and Brandon Jacobs this year and FAs may look twice before signing.
Originally posted by AUniner:

I couldn't have said it better myself...

You guys are both missing my point.

Questioning the fandom of peeps on this board is the worst argument I've ever seen. It's weak.

Of course bad stuff has happened to Alex here. Nolan was a joke and Sing was no better. That was never my point.

All I'm saying is that it's lame to question someones fandom and then make statements that a player should hold out to the detriment of the team.

Its really that simple.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

I don't get your point? Because I think Smith is unappreciated and underpaid, I'm not a 49ers fan? Call me crazy, but I'm a fan of the PLAYERS, not the organization/ownership.

Just giving you some of your own medicine. Kinda lame, isn't it?

No, you just don't make any sense. I'm all for a good debate, but you just sound like you don't know where you're going with this. Just admit you're wrong, barked up the wrong tree, and move on.
Share 49ersWebzone