There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Players who can be sacrificed in off-season for salary cap reasons.

Obviously, I would love to resign all the great players and keep the core of the team together as long as possible. But we all know this isnt possible in the salary cap era. Here is my choice of players that I think the 49ers should consider sacrificing for the sake of keeping under the cap and maintaining flexibility to retain the most important players while bringing in new blood as needed.

Alex Smith: This is not that hard of a choice to make. As well as Alex Smith has played over the past 1.5 years, he is too limited to really take us to the promised land. The passing game will never become a top-10 in the league with him as QB. In addition, Alex Smith is set to make a sizable amount of money next year which will kill our cap space. Niners should try to develop Kaepernick into an above-average QB. Higher ceiling plus much lower salary makes Kaepernick the obvious way to go imo.

Delanie Walker: I understand this may cause some pain. Delanie does some nice things for us like blocking and making the occasional big catch. But you know he will be asking for a fairly large contract this off-season and there will be teams willing to pay him just out of desperation/stupidity. The guy is too unreliable in the pass-catching department and drops too many passes. I say we cut our losses here and let him go .

Ted Ginn: He is basically useless at this point in his career. We already knew he sucked at receiving. But now he sucks at kick returning too. What a shame. Get rid of him.

Dashon Goldson: If the salary cap didnt exist, I would have no issue with signing this guy to a long-term deal. He is a good player that lays some serious wood on opposing receivers . I like the guy alot, I really do. But Goldson will be demanding a top 2 or top 3 salary with 5 years deal. I dont think it is smart to put that much resources into him. As much as I love watching him deliver the big hits, I think he misses way too many tackles and isnt that great in pass coverage.. There is no way I would put him anywhere near an Ed Reed or Troy Palomalu. Except he will probly want to be paid like those guys after this year. Also consider the position that he plays- Free Safety. This is not a high-value, high-impact position. The Niners would be smart to go with a cheaper option in the Draft. Im sure there will be other options out there. There are much more important positions to invest salary cap room in, such as O-Line, D-LIne, CB, etc.

Ray Mcdonald: Sorry but I just dont hear this guy's name being called very often. He doesnt record lots of tackles and doesnt really get to the quarterback. I'm sure we can find a younger, cheaper, more explosive option somewhere. I know he has been a good player for us in the past, but lately? I dunno, maybe I'm just paying enough attention.

Carlos Rogers: The Niners are paying him a handsome salary. He is getting up there in age. He isnt terrible but he is not really good either. I like the way he tackles but he is a bit slow and gets burned by speedy receivers too often. At his age, his performance could fall off the cliff unexpectedly at any time. I think we could find younger, faster players for a lower price. Cornerback is not a position where you want old age and lack of speed. These are two things that Carlos Rogers has unfortunately. Again, I like Carlos Rogers. He has done good things for us. But it wouldnt be the end of the world if we went in another direction. Also consider that we need to think about locking up Chris Culliver and Tarell Brown who are playing VERY well for us and are still young.

Im not saying we should cut all these guys. I think they are good players who have done alot for us. I'm just saying i think the Niners would be ok if they made sacrifices in these areas for the long-term good of the team in the salary-cap era.
[ Edited by Carhanu21 on Dec 2, 2012 at 5:03 PM ]
Ray McDonald? Huh. Dude is a gamer man.
I really like Goldson too BUT man, he seems to make the stupid penalties at the worst times.
Lets cut players according the way the played today.walker..dropping ball,Akers missing FGs,greg Roman for calling terrible plays.AS...cause he is a back up...last week the best players and cut em....this is laughable......
Akers has sucked all year. Not just today.
Delanie Walker has a history of dropping lots of passes going back to last year (at least).
Goldson- I'm only saying to consider letting him walk after the season is over because he will be asking for too much money and there are more important positions to invest in. He is not the elite player that some folks think. He misses alot of tackles, and not just today. Obviously, there's no way in hell the Niners are going to cut him now. We need him this season. I just dont think we should offer him a monster contract after this season is over. He isnt worth it.
Ray Mcdonald- Maybe I'm wrong about him. Maybe he is a great player. I guess im missing something here.
Carlos Rogers- The dude is old and making alot of money for average to maybe slightly above average play. If you want to keep this guy to eat up lots of cap room for the next 3 years, then enjoy being burned alot by speedy receivers.

Originally posted by 49ercrusher:
Lets cut players according the way the played today.walker..dropping ball,Akers missing FGs,greg Roman for calling terrible plays.AS...cause he is a back up...last week the best players and cut em....this is laughable......
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I really like Goldson too BUT man, he seems to make the stupid penalties at the worst times.

Lol. He's one of the best safety's in the league. Put a bad one back there and you will see a difference. The "penalty" wasn't even a penalty. He barely touched him and there was no hit to the head. We didn't lose because of him. Kaep lost this. Spotted them 10. Then ran out of bounds and gave them more time on the clock.
A. Smith
Akers
Jacobs
D. Walker

Start with those.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
A. Smith
Akers
Jacobs
D. Walker

Start with those.

I'd add Rogers, Moss, and Ginn to this list as well. Rogers because of money. The other 2 because they suck.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I'd add Rogers, Moss, and Ginn to this list as well. Rogers because of money. The other 2 because they suck.

I didnt bother to add Moss or Jacobs to the list because they are only on 1-year, no-risk contracts. I figured these would be so obvious that there is no point in mentioning them lol.
Alex will most likely be gone.
Haralson will be gone.
Goodwinn may be cut.
Im not sure if Dixon is under contract next year but if so he'll be cut.
High chance Akers will be gone.
Dobbs will be gone.
Rogers will be back, but unless he has a huge season next year, I think it will be his last here.

Not including players scheduled for free agency.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Dec 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
A. Smith
Akers
Jacobs
D. Walker

Start with those.

I'd keep Rogers because we will have some salary cap flexibility. I would add Goodwin IF I HAD TO. Ginn for sure. I don't know what happened, but his play has regressed BIG TIME.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I'd keep Rogers because we will have some salary cap flexibility. I would add Goodwin IF I HAD TO. Ginn for sure. I don't know what happened, but his play has regressed BIG TIME.

We need to make sure Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver are resigned. I'm not sure when their contracts are up but Rogers should be sacrificed if necessary to keep Brown and Culliver. Those two guys are still young and playing very well. Culliver could become elite.
Ray Mac and Rogers aren't getting cut, McDonald just helped big time by cutting his 2013 salary and 2012 also to help get Bowman extended. And Rogers also helped, and it wouldn't make sense cap wise, dont gain enough for it to be worth it.

Right now priorities.

Re-Sign:

Goldson
Gooden
Grant

Let Walk:

Walker
Brock
McBath
L.Davis
Haggans

Decide between these 2:

Sopoaga and Jesan Francois

Possible Cuts:

Haralson
Alex
Akers
Goodwin

Extensions to gain cap room:

J.Smith
Whitner
Manningham

We need to get more cap room to even think of signing anyone.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

+1

Not sure what game poster is watching.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

+1

Not sure what game poster is watching.

People are too obsessed with sack numbers.