There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anyone care to discuss that the running game produced 2.3 yards per carry today (excl. QB

• Tombo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
#1 O-line played horrible; rams have a great DL
#2 Rams stack the box with 10 guys; we continue to run into a brick wall ala singletary
#3 Kap not audibling out of running into brick wall
#4 Roman continuing to call runs and be conservative when they knew it was coming
#5 Kendall Hunter out
Agree with all 100%.
Anytime you have a kicker that is accurate from 50+ yards your chances of winning against them in a close game are not good.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Anytime you have a kicker that is accurate from 50+ yards your chances of winning against them in a close game are not good.

I mean with the way akers has been kicking and the way Jenkins was playing off the wr's 10 yards why did Roman say let's run it 3 times at the 40 and set akers up for a 50+ yarder? I can see maybe if it was last year's akers but not this years. He plays not to lose. He gets conservative at the wrong times.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I mean with the way akers has been kicking and the way Jenkins was playing off the wr's 10 yards why did Roman say let's run it 3 times at the 40 and set akers up for a 50+ yarder? I can see maybe if it was last year's akers but not this years. He plays not to lose. He gets conservative at the wrong times.

I agree, they were content to set up a 50 yard field goal. Five more yards and the kick doesn't drift as far. The coaching has to know that their kicker is off and they need to get closer. They way the play selection was on that drive was as if they were at the 20 yard line setting up a 30 yard kick.
Thank you! I joined to talk about this and since I can't start a new thread... My problem isn't even how bad the run game was today, which didn't surprise me with Hunter going down. It was how we kept beating our head against a brick wall and refusing to let go of the run game. I'm not even saying we should have abandoned it completely. But how many games have any of you seen that the defense gave that much cushion to receivers ALL game long? We should have been passing much more in the second half. It was like neither team tried to make any adjustments at the half. I don't even blame Akers. We could have got him more yards. Instead let's run run run, even though we haven't been able to all day. Don't get me wrong, Kaepernick deserves some of the blame, some being the key word. Of course though, since it makes the better story he'll be getting a lot more with the sports press. People that didn't watch the game will be calling for Alex Smith. But I'm not going to turn this into a quarterback thread. Ultimately I just wanted to put it out there that the main reason we lost this game was the play calling.
A lot of you guys know that we can't abandon the run, but we do have to be coached better and disciplined better.

As for coached better: Throughout this week Brandon Jacobs and Dixon alike should have had planned input for the game. I am pretty sure the staff knows how hard it is on Frank late in the season and how much we rely on the two punch option. The staff had time to prepare the backs for the game especially since they faced them before ( I will guess that they didn't feel like switching personnel too often because of how undisciplined they were out there today.as an offensive unit.)

As for discipline: As I mentioned earlier, "The Rams are good" They have the a quick DL with very intelligent backers for run support and run blitzing of which they do a good amount of. The 49ers have seen a good deal of this just last week in a dome setting but the rams are nastier and faster than the Saints on defense and it shows.
Roman saw a good deal of run plays reversed off penalties so quitting on the run seemed silly from his angle.

I will say this we can get drained week to week and overlook a less threatening opponent, which is a bad motto for a team that's bound to face those similar circumstances if we get into the playoffs.
[ Edited by Mercuryspeed on Dec 2, 2012 at 9:24 PM ]
I can't stand it when we abandon the run when Gore starts running well against the opposing.

If anything , abandon it in the 3rd to 4th.

Abandoning the run= Raider football.
Hunter being out is really going to hurt. I think they need to put James on the field. They need some speed.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Hey it's 2nd and 20.... lets run with Gore up the middle and not a 7-8 slant to moss....

3rd and 18
7-8 yard slant to moss

wtf
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home