There are 318 users in the forums

Anyone care to discuss that the running game produced 2.3 yards per carry today (excl. QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Agree 100%. I know Kaep's turnovers will be the focus of this game. But I laugh at the many posters who already want him benched. He still showed good pocket presence and made the proper reads. He threw crisp, accurate passes. He made plays with his feet. His mistakes cost us the game, no doubt. But to ignore everything else he did in the game is just asinine.

Even with a poor outing by the O-Line and QB, we still had a chance to win the game against these guys AGAIN. David Akers blew it last time and he blew it again this time. The refs making a terrible call on the safety also screwed us, but again, if Akers doesn't stink the joint up, we win.

Kaepernick made a terrible pitch that cost points, but outside of that, he didn't do that bad. People thinking Alex would have done better are only fooling themselves. It seems like the game plan today fit Alex's abilities instead of utilizing Kaepernick's, but the heavy blitzes and big time pressure on the QB would have resulted in a lot more sacks with Alex and it's not likely he would have moved the ball any better.

I think Kaepernick is the superior QB based on abilities, but I'm all about winning the damn game. If Alex was actually better, I'd want him starting. I don't see him as a better option. They are pretty much the same right now. The only difference is Kaepernick will improve, Alex has hit his ceiling. What we saw from him is what he has to offer. Knowing this, if the defense doesn't have a good game or the run game can't get going, Alex will not win the game for you. Long-term, it is more beneficial to start Kaepernick. Even short-term, I don't see Alex doing any better.
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
And when it was obvious the running game wasn't working, they kept running more and more, never attempting to stretch the field with a few long passes to take advantage of Kaepernick's arm. Today's two yards and a cloud of turf reminded me of the Sing/Raye offense.

With respect, we are a running team. We have to stick with the run regardless. Generally it opens up in the second half if we stick with it. Today it didnt. I dont think that was the blunder. The blunder was elsewhere.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
If we go forward with Kaep, he'd better make major strides in recognizing blitzes pre-snap.

Alex takes a sack on those 'jailbreak' blitzes every time.

But his overall stats against heavy blitzes are excellent.
Originally posted by kelpie70:
Yeah we were distracted with the QB situation. However, if Alex can be playing well but we are not happy with the explosiveness of the offense then the same can be said of Frank Gore and the running game. Lately, his average may have been good but the explosiveness of the trun game has been non existent. Frank has been averaging about 75-85 yards a game over hte last couple of weeks. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Maybe we should look at replacing Frank as well as early as next season.

I think Gore and Smith need each other.
The Rams are good. Laurenitus and Dunbar are incredible against us in particular. Gore needs the change of pace back to help his legs. Not to mention the penalties that negated decent run plays and soaked up team morale.

I'm not going to blame this L on the run game or Gore solely when this was a team loss.

True: Kaepernick was the cause of some major turnovers which led to points and he failed to get people lined up to call the run blitzing but I say again this was still a team loss.

The defense played well on most plays but were beaten for many first downs which extended drives and kept our Offense off the field. Akers is no longer the MVP of our team and it is very important that we move on from Alex "And the kicking unit comes on" Smith because of this reason. Kaepernick will lead the team closer to in the red zone and poses a triple threat as a faker, runner, and passer than Alex so it makes total sense to go on with him. But he has to assume himself as a leader out there and pick up his speed towards the line and apply patience behind it so that this intelligent team can respond.
Sometimes it's horses for courses, the Rams historically play us tough. The rivalry has produced a 62-62-3 record. All that said I agree with everyone that Hunter was a missing link. Jacobs is dead wood, he hits the hole slow and has no speed. Kaep did enough to win and then some. There was no outside threat in the run game. I hope they give LMJ a shot. Crabtree has silenced his critics. How long do we stay with Akers?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
The Running game isn't going to be good every week.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Horrible game by the oline

Yep. Kaep had to run for his life on many occasions today.

All of this
Anyone care to discuss that the running game produced 2.3 yards per carry today (excl. QB runs)?

Frank gore and Brandon Jacobs combined for 64 yards on 27 carries. That is abysmal. That is awful. Nobody is talking about that. Arguably, it was Gore's worst game since the 2009 opener against Arizona. Kaepernick had an above-average game. 6.25 yards per touch outside of the safety and the pitch from hell. Lots of drops today. Lots. I don't see how Alex Smith would have done any better today against the Rams...

game chart:

First half

Gore

Jacobs

10 Carries for 40 yards in the first half for Gore, 2 carries for 5 yards for Jacobs

Second Half

Gore

Jacobs

Second Half
Gore - 13 carries for 15 yards. Jacobs 2 carries for 1 yard.

Splits: first half - 12 carries for 45 yards, 3.75 YPC. second half - 15 carries for 16 yards, 1.07 YPC.

#runninggamefail

Kaepexcuses.
Not surprising considering that Gore and Jacobs don't have outside speed like Hunter and the Rams had a lot of defenders in the box. Need to use James in Hunter's change of pace back role.

Originally posted by 16to87:
All of this

Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Horrible game by the oline

Yep. Kaep had to run for his life on many occasions today.

All of this

Agreed
It also seemed like we forcing the issue with Gore, as if they didn't trust Jacobs late in the game. Gore was obviously injured and came out a few times..but we still run him to death against their defense. If Jacobs only threat is to run up the middle, then we need to use James or Dixon more to rest Gore. (with Dixon you don't give away the type of call like with Jacobs, since Dixon can run outside, go out for passes, pass block.)
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
dont care, I will take a sack if it means we aren't giving points away

at what point had CK given up points by extending plays?
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
at what point had CK given up points by extending plays?
The safety.
#1 O-line played horrible; rams have a great DL
#2 Rams stack the box with 10 guys; we continue to run into a brick wall ala singletary
#3 Kap not audibling out of running into brick wall
#4 Roman continuing to call runs and be conservative when they knew it was coming
#5 Kendall Hunter out
Share 49ersWebzone