There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aldon Smith for Defensive player of the year award?

Aldon Smith for Defensive player of the year award?

he should've had a pick 6 on that screen pass. he dropped back just a little too deep.
Aldon has more sacks than JPP, Umenyiora, and Tuck combined. If you add Kiwanuka then its the same.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Aldon has more sacks than JPP, Umenyiora, and Tuck combined. If you add Kiwanuka then its the same.

Before the season started, I said Aldon would make people forget about JPP.
looks like one of my threads is a success.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Before the season started, I said Aldon would make people forget about JPP.

Who?
Watt and V. Miller are having outstanding years and their sack numbers are close enough.

Unless Aldon breaks the record, he will probably fall short.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM ]
I think Aldon's production drops enough with the injured shoulder that he misses the record. Anything short of the record and Watt wins cause what he is doing from the DE spot is unprecedented.
Originally posted by buck:
There are still plenty of games to be played, but at this point I still think JJ Watt has to be considered the best bet to win the DPOY.

My evaluation of Aldon Smith does not rest entirely on his winning or not winning the DPOY award.

Yesterday, Aldon Smith tied Fred Dean for the most sacks in a season with 17.5.
It seems safe to assume that he will break the team record.

Aldon Smith has already reached 30 sacks faster any player in NFL history--well the history since sacks became an official statistic.

With 31.5 sacks in his first two years, Aldon Smith has passed Reggie White as the player with the most sacks in his first two years.

Aldon Smith has developed his overall game enough to be rationally considered one of the dominant outside linebackers in the NFL.
The team really did need a good outside linebacker, and Aldon Smith has surpassed expectations and has become an excellent OLB.

Props to Aldon Smith.
Excellent post, buck! I agree.

Really, individual awards in a team sport are sort of contradictory. Nice to get the recognition, but really, its about how the team played.

To that end, I can't think of another defense that plays as well together as the Niners this year.

If one were to base DPOY on things other than just stats, Justin Smith would have to be considered. He frequently helps Aldon get to the QB and makes everybody around him on D better. As great as Watt has played this year, individually, I haven't seen him make the kind of self-sacrificing plays that Justin Smith makes, routinely.

Aldon has grown tremendously this season. He's showing coverage ability that no one suspected or thought he could. He belongs in the conversation about DPOY, along with Watt and Miller, AND Justin Smith. IMHO.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Dec 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM ]
Watt is probably more deserving at this point. Aldon is top 2 or 3 imo though
dude, aldon smith is a beast though!
Originally posted by lamontb:
He was in coverage a few times and actually did a lot better than he did earlier in the year.

As far as the award I think it's gonna be hard to pass up Watt, and Miller. The media loves them two.

Watt is only a few sacks behind Aldon, has more passes defensed than most DB's is a beast against the run and he's a 3-4 end.

If Watt finishes a few sacks behind Aldon is going to be tough to see the media voting for Aldon.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Excellent post, buck! I agree.

Really, individual awards in a team sport are sort of contradictory. Nice to get the recognition, but really, its about how the team played.

To that end, I can't think of another defense that plays as well together as the Niners this year.

If one were to base DPOY on things other than just stats, Justin Smith would have to be considered. He frequently helps Aldon get to the QB and makes everybody around him on D better. As great as Watt has played this year, individually, I haven't seen him make the kind of self-sacrificing plays that Justin Smith makes, routinely.

Aldon has grown tremendously this season. He's showing coverage ability that no one suspected or thought he could. He belongs in the conversation about DPOY, along with Watt and Miller, AND Justin Smith. IMHO.

Definitely in the conversation and could win it when it's all said and done. But Watt has been ridiculous.
if he breaks the sack record along with the sack record for your two first season then he should be DOY. yes j smith helps him out alot but his combination of speed and elusiveness help him get through the blocks and to the QB. his instincts are off the charts and he is stronger than he looks, alot of of his sacks are just off of solely pushing back the OT
Let me preface this by saying justin smith is a great player. However, he has played with a lot of guys through out his career. None of them could have dreamed of what aldon is doing. Justin smith is getting to much credit. I think aldon has made justin much more than justin Made aldon, perception wise anyway. Frankly if we win the superbowl he would be mvp of the league in my eyes. Because i honestly dont think we can do it without him.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
JJ Watt has been better.

They are asked to do different things. Aldon is good at setting the edge and getting to the RB. And of course he might be the best pass rusher in the NFL this year. If Aldon finishes the season as the leader in sacks, he should get the award because he is good against the run.