There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aldon Smith for Defensive player of the year award?

Aldon Smith for Defensive player of the year award?

Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
It goes beyond batted passes as well. Aldon has more QB hurries and pressures then Watt.

Also, Aldon has more forced fumbles and sacks, which i'd say are more impactful then playing volleyball at the line.

It's not a pass rushing award.

Watt is far more well-rounded in all areas of the game this year - which is the point I'm trying to make.

Its not a swatting award either. I get your point. Yes, Watt is well rounded and a great player. But so is Aldon.

I just put more value on putting pressure on the QB.
  • buck
  • Veteran

It may not be a pass rushing award, but being a pass rusher does help.

Lawrence Taylor won the award 3 times. Reggie White and Bruce Smith won it two times.

Other notable pass rushers who have won it are: Alan Page, Lee Roy Selmon, Bryce Paup, Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor and Terrell Suggs.

By the way, with one more sack Aldon Smith will pass two-time award winner Reggie White as the player with the most sacks in his first two years in the NFL.
[ Edited by buck on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:34 AM ]
Justin Smith is my pick!
  • buck
  • Veteran
According to Jim Trotter King the DPOY race looks like this.

1. Aldon Smith, 49ers (1). The outside linebacker has at least one sack in every game but three. In six of them he has multiple sacks, including 1.5 Sunday against the Saints. Overall he leads the league with 16.5.

2. J.J. Watt, Texans (NR). After hitting a lull for a couple of weeks, the second-year pro came back in a big way with three sacks Sunday. He ranks second in the league with 14.5 and has 13 batted passes. Houston is going to need him to play big, because injuries are depleting the linebacking corps.

3. Von Miller, Broncos (2). The second-year outside linebacker has at least one sack in four straight games and six of seven. He ranks third overall with 14 sacks and is virtually unblockable one-on-one.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/jim_trotter/11/27/week-12-nfl-awards/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a2

note: an point in favor of JJ Watt. (and I do support Aldon Smith)

Watt is the best defensive player on the Texans. Aldon Smith is not the best defensive player on the 49ers.
aldon will get some votes but watt will probably win
I put Aldon Smith behind JJ Watt and Von Miller. But all are absolute beasts!
Originally posted by buck:

It may not be a pass rushing award, but being a pass rusher does help.

Lawrence Taylor won the award 3 times. Reggie White and Bruce Smith won it two times.

Other notable pass rushers who have won it are: Alan Page, Lee Roy Selmon, Bryce Paup, Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor and Terrell Suggs.

By the way, with one more sack Aldon Smith will pass two-time award winner Reggie White as the player with the most sacks in his first two years in the NFL.

Which one of these things is not like the other
Originally posted by buck:
According to Jim Trotter King the DPOY race looks like this.

1. Aldon Smith, 49ers (1). The outside linebacker has at least one sack in every game but three. In six of them he has multiple sacks, including 1.5 Sunday against the Saints. Overall he leads the league with 16.5.

2. J.J. Watt, Texans (NR). After hitting a lull for a couple of weeks, the second-year pro came back in a big way with three sacks Sunday. He ranks second in the league with 14.5 and has 13 batted passes. Houston is going to need him to play big, because injuries are depleting the linebacking corps.

3. Von Miller, Broncos (2). The second-year outside linebacker has at least one sack in four straight games and six of seven. He ranks third overall with 14 sacks and is virtually unblockable one-on-one.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/jim_trotter/11/27/week-12-nfl-awards/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a2

note: an point in favor of JJ Watt. (and I do support Aldon Smith)

Watt is the best defensive player on the Texans. Aldon Smith is not the best defensive player on the 49ers.

We had no chance to get Miller because he went #2 and MD was/is in love with JJ t**tt. Miller and Aldon obviously went #1 and #2 in DROY even though Aldon had 1 more DROM (2) compared to Miller (1). t**tt has really come on this year and I'd rather have the Cobrador quite frankly but I think all 3 are great picks from the top 15 of the 1st round which can be hit or miss

I'm glad Harbaugh / Baalke / Paraag don't blindly follow the Zone lol

Not a bad first round so far http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_Draft

I know you can't judge a draft for 3 years but this first round is shaping up way better than, say, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft
If Aldon breaks the sack record and still leads the league in sacks by the end of the season. Then yes, otherwise I think the honor goes to either P Willy, Bowman, Justin Smith, or JJ Watt.
Von Miller is only going to win because of Manning
It goes beyond batted passes as well. Aldon has more QB hurries and pressures then Watt.

Also, Aldon has more forced fumbles and sacks, which i'd say are more impactful then playing volleyball at the line.

Watt is far more well-rounded in all areas of the game this year - which is the point I'm trying to make.

Its not a swatting award either. I get your point. Yes, Watt is well rounded and a great player. But so is Aldon.

I just put more value on putting pressure on the QB.

I dont see JJ dropping back in pass coverage, maybe im wrong because I havent watched many texans games, If this is the case then I dont see how hes more well rounded than aldon
Originally posted by rxrunner:
Von Miller is only going to win because of Manning

No way, they were all on his nuts when he broke the record for most sacks in a players 1st 2 years.......until Aldon shattered his record, havent heard Von Millers name in a week.
Aldon not gonna win because many feel Aldon has a high total only because he plays with Justin Smith.

"Many" don't watch him enough.
It's amazing that he could be our third best linebacker on our team.

I think we have 3 of the top 10 linebackers in the NFL.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Aldon not gonna win because many feel Aldon has a high total only because he plays with Justin Smith.

"Many" don't watch him enough.

It's such a weak argument too. So what if Aldon works in tandem with Justin. Like Watt and Miller don't play off their teammates? Please.

I've seen Aldon destroy his man one-on-one many times. He's been the more productive pass rusher 2 years running now.