There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Aldon Smith for Defensive player of the year award?

Aldon Smith for Defensive player of the year award?

If Aldon doesnt break the sack record, DPOY will definitely fo to JJ Watt
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by Jcool:

Don't be a homer. Smith doesn't make the overall impact that Watt and Miller do. Football goes beyond sack numbers. Justin Smith should have been DPOY last year but was beat out by guys with better "numbers".

And quite franklly, Watt has the sacks and bat down numbers to go with his outstanding overall play.

So insightful.
i still think he needs to improve in coverage.
Aldon was on Jim Rome and said he could see himself getting 10 sacks in one game. Beast. hopefully he does it vs the rams.

Don't be a homer. Smith doesn't make the overall impact that Watt and Miller do. Football goes beyond sack numbers. Justin Smith should have been DPOY last year but was beat out by guys with better "numbers".

And quite franklly, Watt has the sacks and bat down numbers to go with his outstanding overall play.

It goes beyond batted passes as well. Aldon has more QB hurries and pressures then Watt.

Also, Aldon has more forced fumbles and sacks, which i'd say are more impactful then playing volleyball at the line.
Originally posted by ck7era:
Aldon was on Jim Rome and said he could see himself getting 10 sacks in one game. Beast. hopefully he does it vs the rams.

haha maybe agianst that Carindals team in week 17!

For the record!
Watt had 3 sacks, 2 PD & 5 tackles last week but the defense gave up 31 points... the week before he had 1 sack and 1 PD but the D gave up 37 points to Jacksonville. So while he is having a big year it isn't really having an impact on the games. In the last 6 games the Texans D has given up 30+ points 3 times.

what he said
Originally posted by zillabeast:
One thing that might keep him from getting it.....fundamentals:

Son, I was disappoint.

He made the tackle while still trying to rip the ball out lol...................i call that a win
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

It goes beyond batted passes as well. Aldon has more QB hurries and pressures then Watt.

Also, Aldon has more forced fumbles and sacks, which i'd say are more impactful then playing volleyball at the line.

especially when Watt and company are giving up 30+ points to the f**king Jags and Lions
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYS49er:
if he gets the sack record he will be strongly considered but watt is on his tail he's a 3-4 de with 14.5 sacks bunch of tackles qb hits and pressures an int for td and heres the kicker he has 13 pass defensed thats more than alot of cb

Both are having great years.

Unless Smith breaks the sack record, Watt more than likely will win the DPOY.

I am an ardent fan of Aldon Smith, but the odds, at this point, seem to favor JJ Watt.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

It's not a pass rushing award.

Watt is far more well-rounded in all areas of the game this year - which is the point I'm trying to make.
  • buck
  • Veteran
It's not a pass rushing award.

Watt is far more well-rounded in all areas of the game this year - which is the point I'm trying to make.
Far more well-rounded seems like an exaggeration.

Not only has Aldon has improved his pass rushing skills, but he also proven to be a solid, perhaps excellent, 3-4 outside linebacker.

He is fourth on the team in tackles.
He is setting the edge very well in the run game.
And, as far as I can tell from watching the games, has done surprisingly well in pass coverage.
[ Edited by buck on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM ]
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Watt had 3 sacks, 2 PD & 5 tackles last week but the defense gave up 31 points... the week before he had 1 sack and 1 PD but the D gave up 37 points to Jacksonville. So while he is having a big year it isn't really having an impact on the games. In the last 6 games the Texans D has given up 30+ points 3 times.

what he said

+2
Originally posted by buck:
Far more well-rounded seems like an exaggeration.

Not only has Aldon has improved his pass rushing skills, but he also proven to be a solid, perhaps excellent, 3-4 outside linebacker.

He is fourth on the team in tackles.
He is setting the edge very well in the run game.
And, as far as I can tell from watching the games, has done surprisingly well in pass coverage.

To piggy back...when is the last time Aldon missed a tackle or got flattened by a lineman?? Dude is very stout in all aspects.