There are 294 users in the forums

QB decision effect on locker Room

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erempire:
He's also starting to lose fans due to his deceitful press conferences. I don't know if I can trust what Harbaugh says anymore due to the handling of the offseason move for Manning and taking away the starting job of a player that got injured.

I think the locker room may have lost some respect in this regards.

Where's his integrity? I know the NFL is a business but the players are "49er players" and he's broken many unwritten rules when it comes to sports. These are grown men and you can't treat grown men like college kids.
No need to take it personally if Alex isn't. Plus, a coach has discretion to make changes at his whim. Whether those changes are successful or not and whether that coach keeps his job or not is up to his boss.
Originally posted by norcal49er864:
I for one love how Harbaugh is handling this situation. You guys DO remember that Harbaugh used to be a player, right? He views the media through a former player's eyes. Why name a starter right after the game like that when you can take the chance to go home, look at the film, and tell your team before you tell the media.

Secondly, and more importantly, Harbaugh has loyalty to not just Alex Smith, but every person in that locker room. People advocating that he should play favorites with Smith just don't understand it. If Kaepernick is truly the best quarterback than he owes it to the TEAM to put him out there as the starter. If Smith is the best quarterback than he owes it to the TEAM to put him out there as the starter. He owes nothing to Smith or Kap personally, no matter what their backstory is or where they came from. Every one of those 53 guys in the locker room has busted their ass all through the off-season, training camp, and then every week on the field. Imagine what kind of message that sends when you as a coach pick a starter based on favoritism and not based on what gives those 53 guys (re: TEAM) the chance to win?

That's why this crap about how Harbaugh owes Alex something or the way he is treating Alex is upsetting the locker room makes me laugh.

Point well taken. I mean, how often have we heard players tell the media as long as they are winning, that is all that matters.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by shaneblonien:

Kaepernick also adjusts at the line of scrimmage, something we do not see with Smith.

Originally posted by zillabeast:
You kidding? I think he has GAINED more supporters in the locker room than anything else. While Alex was QB, everyone was just smiling politely and doing their jobs like good little soldiers. Now, these guys freaking believe man. That confidence that has been gushing over these last two games is no accident.

I disagree.

If I played for the 49ers and the coach has been handling things like he has, I wouldn't trust him.

Yeah, cause Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary handled things like this so well...
Originally posted by vaden:

Kaepernick also adjusts at the line of scrimmage, something we do not see with Smith.

Originally posted by eddie_arkadia:

Is he aware that Smith has made some incredible adjustments and audibles this season?
Also, just consider this quote if you are looking to gauge the locker room reaction from our very own Vernon Davis:

"When I see him play, I see a playmaker," 49ers tight end Vernon Davis said. "He has so much ability and he's always helping his team out. ... I still think Alex is the man, but it's the coaches' call and I am sure Coach Harbaugh will make the right decision."

Notice how he calls Kap a playmaker, but then he says that he "still thinks Alex is the man." If he wanted to put them on even ground he could have gone back and said that "Alex is a playmaker too" but in that moment of equanimity that all professionals make when faced with difficult questions about teammates in front of the media, when he wanted to say something nice about Alex he chose to not put him on the same level as Kap.
Saying someone is "the Man" is much better than saying someone who's a "playmaker."

Everyone is a playmaker if the make the play. Heck, Alex is a playmaker too.

But Kaep is not "the Man."

I would rather be the playmaker because you might not be "the Man" anymore on any given Sunday, but you will continue to be a playmaker
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by eddie_arkadia:

Is he aware that Smith has made some incredible adjustments and audibles this season?

I think it's funny, cause everyone in the NFL makes adjustments presnap...Sometimes it's the QB, sometimes it's the O-Line, Sometimes it's the linebackers making adjustments on the adjustments, same with the safeties, the receivers, the corners, etc... Sometimes I think that people on the 'zone believe that Madden is a direct translation of the actual game of football...funny stuff...
Kaep can do things that Alex cannot. A great example was that pass to delanie Walker on the FG drive to make it 31-21. I don't see Alex even attempting such a pass--it would more likely be a short dump off. Kaep increases the margin of error a bit for these Niners and I can see the defense being more aggressive and confident. Alex is a really nice guy and he is getting paid a lot of money, he shouldn't feel bad.

Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
Also, just consider this quote if you are looking to gauge the locker room reaction from our very own Vernon Davis:

"When I see him play, I see a playmaker," 49ers tight end Vernon Davis said. "He has so much ability and he's always helping his team out. ... I still think Alex is the man, but it's the coaches' call and I am sure Coach Harbaugh will make the right decision."

Notice how he calls Kap a playmaker, but then he says that he "still thinks Alex is the man." If he wanted to put them on even ground he could have gone back and said that "Alex is a playmaker too" but in that moment of equanimity that all professionals make when faced with difficult questions about teammates in front of the media, when he wanted to say something nice about Alex he chose to not put him on the same level as Kap.
Saying someone is "the Man" is much better than saying someone who's a "playmaker."

Everyone is a playmaker if the make the play. Heck, Alex is a playmaker too.

But Kaep is not "the Man."

I would rather be the playmaker because you might not be "the Man" anymore on any given Sunday, but you will continue to be a playmaker

Are we actually playing semantics here? Look Davis has always supported teammates, why? cause he got kicked off the field once, by his own coach! Besides to know why Harbaugh does what he does, you gotta know one of the most influential people in his life:

He's also starting to lose fans due to his deceitful press conferences. I don't know if I can trust what Harbaugh says anymore due to the handling of the offseason move for Manning and taking away the starting job of a player that got injured.

I think the locker room may have lost some respect in this regards.

Where's his integrity? I know the NFL is a business but the players are "49er players" and he's broken many unwritten rules when it comes to sports. These are grown men and you can't treat grown men like college kids.

Were winning.

If this game was about making sure nobody got their feelings hurt, or being fair, then nobody would want to watch.

From day 1 Harbaugh has established the culture here, which is competition. Every man on the team has to outplay the other to keep his job. Alex got hurt, and that sucks for him, but Kaepernick is playing better. I personally think making a QB change this late in the season is a very odd move for a SB contender, but we seem to have gotten even better from this, so its hard to argue.

This isnt an issue of integrity. Harbaugh is going to put this team in the best position to win at all times. We wouldve been a better team with Manning, which is why we tried to get him. Were playing even better with Kaepernick, which is why hes the starter. Loyalty in the NFL is for losers. The best player should get the playing time.

Maybe certain players feel bad that Alex lost his job, but none of them think its unfair. Each and every one of the guys on the team is subject to losing their job in the right opportunity.

In the NFL, the best chance to win always wins out. If Smith gave us a better chance to win, hed be playing. Obviously Harbaugh feels differently at this point, and judging by what hes done so far, I think its best not to question his methods.
Originally posted by Jmahoney1979:
Do you guys think Harbaugh has lost anyone in the locker room because of how he's handling the QB situation?

No. This locker room from what they've come from to where they are now . . . . this is the only coach that has lead them and brought them together as a team. They believe in the coach and are lock step in his direction. They know what a losing team looks like, they know what a losing coach sounds like. they may raise a issue here and there but overall they know this coach will lead them to their first and the 49ers no.6.

It just sucks because the Smith has been with them through the down years and Alex was their for the team during camp Alex. I feel Alex will get his shot again this season.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think the locker room is a big part of the REASON we are seeing Kaepernick playing on Sunday's.

completely agree. i'm sure harbaugh has done a check with the "team leaders" like gore and vernon. Everyone knows kap is the way to go but everyone has a deep respect/comraderie for alex too so they just want to find a way to make this go as smooth as possible. unfortunately this isn't like RB or WR where you can share snaps in a game.

this is just a situation of a player absolutely playing like gangbusters and SEIZING a position. it REALLY sucks for alex, but this is how life works.

But things like this have a strange way of coming back around on people. I honestly believe there's going to be bad karma involved in benching alex when he got a concussion. These things always come back around......

Maybe they need to let alex and kap have a shoot out in a practice. Fourth Quarter 2 minute drills. whoever does better becomes the starter. Alex deserves a shot to win back a chance. he's took the team so far.

I feel soooo bad for alex, but this is an amazing development for the niners, and I can't wait to get past this guilt feeling and get back to just being able to enjoy the games!!
Donte Whitner post game:

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Press-Pass-Donte-Whitner/1240a94a-672b-45a6-8b5d-5be22073f92b

Alex Boone post game

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Press-Pass-Alex-Boone/1276015c-5546-4151-9b17-6968fb97c0dd
Share 49ersWebzone