There are 190 users in the forums

49ers Special Teams grade for 2012?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Special Teams grade for 2012?

D. Only thing that keeps the unit from an F is Lee.
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
multiple blocked field goals. Kick return coverage has been poor. Multiple missed field goals from close range. Special teams fumbles. Not very
good. This has got to get better.

Just horrendous. I agree.
Originally posted by Schulzy:

I agree Andy Lee is the only solid part of this special teams.
ST is screwing the pooch this year!!
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
ST is screwing the pooch this year!!

I really think we can make a run at the Super Bowl. But this special teams concerns me greatly in a close game vs. the Giants in the playoffs. It could be the difference.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
C-. Some good plays and then some God awful ones. Just barely above a D.

I'd say similar, but maybe a solid C.

I think the coverage units are getting a lot of flack. They were rough at the beginning of the year, but it looks like everything's been fleshed out.
David Akers hasn't been as good this year. By no means is he Jose Cortez-status, but he's still a solid kicker. He isn't automatic anymore though. If he gave this performance LAST year, we'd have lost several more games, in my opinion.

The return men haven't really been that explosive, but other than Ginn's one muff, they haven't exactly hurt as either.

Andy Lee, of course, is still our superstar punter, and Brian Jennings is still the best in the business at what he does.
Those special teams cuts are making me head hurt

I really, really hope it doesn't cost us big
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I was impressed by the staff benching Ginn after the muff. They're sending a clear message that they will not tolerate bonehead moves like that. If they had that approach last season, we'd probably be defending world champs right now.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I was impressed by the staff benching Ginn after the muff. They're sending a clear message that they will not tolerate bonehead moves like that. If they had that approach last season, we'd probably be defending world champs right now.

They got to do something to stop these fumbles of punt returns. It will kill us in the playoffs again.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

They got to do something to stop these fumbles of punt returns. It will kill us in the playoffs again.
agree. not sure what the answer is but jesus. to bad kyle is out because if he did not get hurt i can see them benching ginn for the rest of the year. where is vic washington when we need him?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Schulzy:

I agree Andy Lee is the only solid part of this special teams.
of course this is the truth
I voted "C"

Thank God we haven't lost any games because of ST - I'm confident JH will get it fixed.
Akers will be the death of this team.

This team looks like a true powerhouse in some ways. Yet this special teams worries me deeply. We are horrific returning kicks. And Akers misses every FG over 30 yards. Too many fumbles returning kicks. They still haven't learned the lesson of don't let the ball bounce around by your legs and hands when you are supposed to run away from it. The special teams could cost us in the playoffs.
C

The only reason they have a passing grade is because of Lee and Jennings. Spillman has made some nice tackles as well. Ginn and Akers bring this unit down tremendously. What happened to these two?
Share 49ersWebzone