LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 401 users in the forums

Roster Shuffle

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think this game may have sealed the futures of certain players and I am not talking about Alex Smith. I am truly a fan of Kyle Williams, but only for his potential as a receiver. But he may finally have the job as a returner. Ted Ginn offers nothing as a receiver, and though I wanted us to sign him again next season as a returner, I think he my have lost his job to Kyle.

Also with the injuries to Kyle Williams and Kendall Hunter, we may finally get to see the two players that some zone members prematurely want to label as busts- AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James.

Brandon Jacobs made his debut today and may get some more opportunities with the injury to Hunter. I think it's telling that Dixon didn't get too many opportunities considering Hunter went out.

Finally there is David Akers. Something is missing. If he doesn't get any better, he is certainly gone when the season is over.
I think Hunter will play next week but won't get as many touches as we're used to and Gore/Jacobs will make up for that. I think more than anything we will see Jacobs now. I honestly think even if one or both of Jenkins/James suit up I don't see them playing and I feel like the WZ will be really upset by that.
Doubt we see any shuffling. Only one that concerns me is Delanie, we have no TE depth behind Vernon.

Remember the cap situation. Jacobs' salary is guaranteed since he was on week 1 roster, and is a vested veteran. And any one signed would have to be rooks due to low cap room.
For the rest of the year don't expect too many changes. I think we stick with Ginn at PR. Williams or Hunter at KR but I agree after next year if Ginn is gone we might need to draft/find a return man. At RB if hunter can't go next week I go Gore and Jacobs until he returns. Akers could be replaced this year yet though. But for next year I see a lot of new faces.

Guys who I could see cut or not re-signed after this year:

Jacobs, Ginn, Moss, Sopoaga, Goodwin, Haralson, A.Smith, Akers, Dixon, Leonard Davis, Haggans, McBath, Brock, Sopoaga, maybe Walker, Tukuafu or Dobbs (with high draft pick), Gooden or Grant and Celek

Would free up room for Goldson and Bowman while giving us room in the future for re-signing guys like Iupati, AD, Aldon, etc
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM ]
Jenkins will be active next week because I highly doubt Williams will be with that knee injury. Won't be surprised if KW goes on IR.
i dont want to turn this into an Alex Smith thread, but I will say the fact we have a big lead in the division is bad for him.

We can afford a loss or two going into the home stretch and this will really give us a chance to see what we have with Kap.

While I dont agree with the decision (as i've stated several times). I am starting to see the justification for the decision, and Kap does appear to be better than Alex. He throws the ball down field, he seems unsackable at times and the offense seems to rally around him.

Having your second start be in the dome is a tough test. Roster Shuffle begins!

Having this lead lets us try more things offensively
[ Edited by 49erfaithful49 on Nov 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM ]
If KW is out next week I would have to imagine we get our first regular season sighting of AJJ.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Doubt we see any shuffling. Only one that concerns me is Delanie, we have no TE depth behind Vernon.

Remember the cap situation. Jacobs' salary is guaranteed since he was on week 1 roster, and is a vested veteran. And any one signed would have to be rooks due to low cap room.

Forgetting about Dobbs?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Forgetting about Dobbs?

Celek and Dobbs are behind Vernon if Delanie is out. Celek would be #2; doubt we would even use a 3 but Dobbs would be active probably for emergencies. Don't see Walker being out for more than a week if that. Probably just bruised ribs; he will be really sore and stiff but should lose up as time goes on.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Celek and Dobbs are behind Vernon if Delanie is out. Celek would be #2; doubt we would even use a 3 but Dobbs would be active probably for emergencies. Don't see Walker being out for more than a week if that. Probably just bruised ribs; he will be really sore and stiff but should lose up as time goes on.

Yes, was just kidding AB. Walker has been so inconsistent this year that Celek may be a relief of sorts. But I'm a fan of Walker's versatility so believe he will be missed.

Damn sucks for Kyle W's injury. Love that guy. The guy is a burner and a deep threat if we can get him the ball. True fighter too!
Yes, was just kidding AB. Walker has been so inconsistent this year that Celek may be a relief of sorts. But I'm a fan of Walker's versatility so believe he will be missed.

He's good at the wham blocks and is a good blocker so that part would probably be missed but we definitely can upgrade over him in the passing department. 6 tds in 7 years is just not good. He has dropped like 40% of the balls that came to him this year. I draft someone who can block and also be a receiving threat in the red zone and on 3rd downs. A big tall TE... it's a copycat league. I wouldn't mind having Delanie back as a #3 blocking TE but I doubt he takes a demotion and he will probably want more than he would get if we paid him as a #3 blocker. Still, if we re-sign him I will be ok with it I just wish he could find the end zone and wouldn't have so many drops.
He's good at the wham blocks and is a good blocker so that part would probably be missed but we definitely can upgrade over him in the passing department. 6 tds in 7 years is just not good. He has dropped like 40% of the balls that came to him this year. I draft someone who can block and also be a receiving threat in the red zone and on 3rd downs. A big tall TE... it's a copycat league. I wouldn't mind having Delanie back as a #3 blocking TE but I doubt he takes a demotion and he will probably want more than he would get if we paid him as a #3 blocker. Still, if we re-sign him I will be ok with it I just wish he could find the end zone and wouldn't have so many drops.

Yes, his blocking on the move is very good for a TE. Would like to grab a guy like Ertz from Stanford...6'6" and great hands. He's made quite a few clutch catches this year. But there are no doubt lots of good TEs who will be in the draft next year. I would like to see more of Celek this year to see if he can develop...may be a late bloomer?
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Yes, his blocking on the move is very good for a TE. Would like to grab a guy like Ertz from Stanford...6'6" and great hands. He's made quite a few clutch catches this year. But there are no doubt lots of good TEs who will be in the draft next year. I would like to see more of Celek this year to see if he can develop...may be a late bloomer?

We've been scouting Nick Kasa TE from Colorado a lot this season, maybe others. Kasa is a late bloomer, athletic and very raw.

And to the points about KW's future, Harbaugh let it slip a bit this week when discussing LMJ's role as Sproles on the scout team. That he had spent a lot of time this season lining up in the slot. He is going to a McCluster/Sproles type player more then an RB. His benefit in the backfield will come during the "warp speed" hurry up as a read option back. I dont think LMJ or Jenkins will really affect Williams role on this team, ultimately our apparent boner for Robert Woods(early round pick) or Reggie Dunn(late round) will affect Williams' future with us.
Share 49ersWebzone