There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Boone to Center in 2013?

I was talking to my dad over Thanksgiving, and he said he heard this idea of Alex Boone moving to Center in 2013 *if Colin Kaepernick is the starter next year (better field of vision). Centers are usually a bit smaller than guards, but Boone straight balls at RG for being 6-8...leverage is not an issue - he has incredible leverage for a guy that tall.

Presumably, this would make room for Looney at RG in 2013 and Goodwin would be a cap casualty.

So, what does everyone think of this idea?
Anybody remember Don Mosebar on the Raiders in the 80s and 90s? he was 6-6 or 6-7 and was an all-pro center a few times.
So where was this idea heard from?
I would love if our tackles and guards are kept together to jell even more; and with a 1st or 2nd round true center to handle those duties
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
So where was this idea heard from?

radio. dunno if it was KNBR or 95.7.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I would love if our tackles and guards are kept together to jell even more; and with a 1st or 2nd round true center to handle those duties

Looney had a 2nd round grade pre-injury. and he is healthy now
I'd rather keep Goodwin another year. But, they do need to restock the OL. Kilgore and Looney haven't played much and Leonard Davis is an expensive vet that they might not be able to afford.
At the level this line is playing at I wouldn't want to mess with anything. Boone is balling at guard.
This would make us draft another OL to fill looneys spot because we need depth....our depth is perfect and let's looney be groomed at the guard position instead of coming in without experience
He plays 4 positions pretty well. Far better at G than expected. A servicable backup swing Tackle. Why do we want to change him? And why do we want a 6'8" Center?....
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
This would make us draft another OL to fill looneys spot because we need depth....our depth is perfect and let's looney be groomed at the guard position instead of coming in without experience

The reality is that this offseason, every overpriced veteran that can be replaced by a rookie or second year player *will be replaced by a rookie or second year player.

we have over 13 draft picks (we will get more compensatory picks) and ZERO cap room.

You do the math
Boone is fine where he is
Originally posted by IowaNiner16:
At the level this line is playing at I wouldn't want to mess with anything. Boone is balling at guard.

This would have been my response. Don't be surprised if Kilgore closes the gap on Goodwin and either replaces him next season or the next.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

The reality is that this offseason, every overpriced veteran that can be replaced by a rookie or second year player *will be replaced by a rookie or second year player.

we have over 13 draft picks (we will get more compensatory picks) and ZERO cap room.

You do the math

So placing Boone at center and potentially another chilo at guard ( saying chilo because looney has no game experience)