There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

greg roman and alex smith

Originally posted by 49erSooner:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by NONAME:
this.. I for one will become a fan of the team they end up on and ditch the loser niners

You shut your whore mouth

I visit this forum everyday, but I don't post much because I'm not a confrontational guy (see anything related to Alex Smith), but this made me laugh ridiculously hard for some reason lol.

I giggled a tit myself

that is the funniest, or the most ridiculous comment i've seen on here so far!
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
Prediction :

Alex will remain starter in SF rest of season.
If SF wins Superbowl, he's a goner
If SF doesnt, he's a goner.

As much as unfair as if sounds I think he's done.
I think as good as the team has done so far, the coaching staff would be foolish to make a change.
You got to think of the smith supporters on the team,

Staley
Gore
Willis
J Smith
Vernon - might have changed

What message does a change send? Do good, almost reach record for completions on Monday night, get hurt so your out?
Why risk going with Kap now it's not like were 5-5 and on verge of collapse.

What kind of message does it send?

The message is that Harbaugh will but the team above all else and do whatever it takes to put the best team on the field. Anything else would be a disservice to the team, ownership, and the fans.

If Smith is our best option to win, he will play. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with tenure.

I'm glad you're not the one running the team. You'd probably still have Parys Haralson as the starter when he comes back from injury, since it's an injustice to lose your job to injury.
I think everybody is rushing too quickly to judgment about Alex leaving here but in all honesty we still do not know what we have in Kaepernick. Yes the youngster looked terrific in the Bears game but it's also important to remember that all signs were pointing that Alex was to start that game until Monday morning. The Bears had no game film on Kaep and probably were not completely prepared for his skill set. I would like to see how Kaep handles the job when teams have game film to properly prepare for him. If Kaep starts, I think the only reason is that Alex still wasn't cleared medically till late in the week where Kaep had taken the reps all week and been very involved in the game plan, I think Harbaugh goes with Kaep for that reason, but I still believe Alex is his guy for now.

I think the team will return to Alex next week whether we beat the Saints or not unless Kaep just blows the scoreboard up. Alex is the vet and got us very close to the super bowl last year. It's too late in the season now to start a controversy and I think Harbaugh understands that. This time of the year is where Alex's leadership and experience will be more crucial then ever.

Next year we start with a clean slate and then I believe the best man will truley win the job. I think Alex hangs around for atleast one more season.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Nov 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM ]
I think Roman might get some interviews for a HC job, but most Coordinators don't get hired the 1st year they interview (talking about the NFL level). He could get a NCAA job right now, if he wants it, but being mentioned as a andidate for NFL positions might hold him in place for a minute. There is no way to know if his name woul ever get this hot again in the NCAA ranks.

That said, IF he does get a HC job in the NFL this offseason, I would not be at all surprised if he brought in Alex, Delanie, and Moss. Alex could be had in a relatively cheap trade (to guarantee his rights at a relatively low salary, installing the new offense to a new team quickly), and Delanie and Moss know we are up against the cap, and that they wold receive better pay elsewhere. Moss likes learing from Roman, and Delanie could play the same "Swiss Army Knife" role, while getting more snaps than he would here. If it plays out like that, I hope Roman gets hired to an AFC team. Hell, hey could even bring in Jacobs, if G-Ro thinks he is worth the Crisco he sweats. He would then have a skill player at each level that already knows his offense.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I think Roman might get some interviews for a HC job, but most Coordinators don't get hired the 1st year they interview (talking about the NFL level). He could get a NCAA job right now, if he wants it, but being mentioned as a andidate for NFL positions might hold him in place for a minute. There is no way to know if his name woul ever get this hot again in the NCAA ranks.

That said, IF he does get a HC job in the NFL this offseason, I would not be at all surprised if he brought in Alex, Delanie, and Moss. Alex could be had in a relatively cheap trade (to guarantee his rights at a relatively low salary, installing the new offense to a new team quickly), and Delanie and Moss know we are up against the cap, and that they wold receive better pay elsewhere. Moss likes learing from Roman, and Delanie could play the same "Swiss Army Knife" role, while getting more snaps than he would here. If it plays out like that, I hope Roman gets hired to an AFC team. Hell, hey could even bring in Jacobs, if G-Ro thinks he is worth the Crisco he sweats. He would then have a skill player at each level that already knows his offense.

You think AS, moss and walker would want to go to a rebuilding team?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Not ALL suitors for Roman and Smith will be in full on rebuilding mode. Some might be simply looking to revamp their offense.
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Not ALL suitors for Roman and Smith will be in full on rebuilding mode. Some might be simply looking to revamp their offense.

The teams that looks like they need a HC, are most likely need to rebuild then just adding a play book, I don't see roman as a whole team evaluator and I don't know if he will be able to assemble a great coaching crew to what's available.
If Alex isn't starting come playoff time it's over with.

Would you rather have Dashon Goldson or a disgruntled backup qb? Sorry, but Alex is gone.

I think it's unlikely that Alex hooks up with Roman. Who knows what job Roman is going to take. He could go to college or he could end up taken a job that already has a qb (SD, Car). Kansas City is likely to have the top pick and if Roman goes there he still ends up with Geno Smith as his guy.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
If Roman goes it would be best for Alex to go with him

I'm on board with that, I will miss the guy though

yep. best team player we've had for years

At least he'd be set up for success... until G-Ro finds HIS new guy.
Alex is more than capable to win a Superbowl, if het gets back on the field this year he will get it for us.

Unless his new team has an elite defense and top-notch running game, Alex will win no Super Bowl.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Unless Kaepernick has a Brady-esque end of the seasons where he permanently wins the starting job and does superlatively in the playoffs, Alex Smith is going to stay as insurance (assuming we're doing okay on cap space).

Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick, together, are an affordable pair I think. Remember, that teams pay $15+ million for their franchise quarterbacks, and Alex makes less than $10 million, I believe. We can afford to keep them, especially if we're not 100% sure of the QB situation.

No way they pay him over $8 million to ride the pine. He will restructure and get backup money or he'll be gone.
I hope Alex takes Roman when he leaves
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
I hope Alex takes Roman when he leaves

This. Never have I seen such a mediocre OC get so much credit for so little.