There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

greg roman and alex smith

Originally posted by Pfield9er:
does anyone one else think that roman could bring alex with him if he gets a head coaching job?

I could see that happening. However, is Roman seriously considered for an HC spot in the NFL?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
I personally do not think Roman is sold on Alex Smith. IMHO I feel that Kaep is Roman's guy. Remember, Jim Harbaugh and Roman have been working together since the Stanford days. They worked together on Andrew Luck. When the 9ers went to take a look at Peyton Manning, reports were both Roman and Harbaugh went together to evaluate Peyton. I'm sure Harbaugh consulted Roman when they drafted Kaepernick.

just my assumption, I could be wrong...

pretty sure G-Ro isn't taking Kaep Any-damm-where. Alex would probably be a better option than any broken team hiring a new coach would have.


This year isn't over and Alex could take the field at anytime. With everything that Alex has been through I could see him entering a game a lighting it up. I'm sure Roman would take him in an instant. A team like Philly has pieces in place and would be a good fit. I'm sure Alex will avoid the losing teams.

It wouldn't be his choice if the team trades him, though I think Harbaalke would try to set him up nicely as a thank you.

Alex isn't going to be traded. He's got a one year contract right now.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
I personally do not think Roman is sold on Alex Smith. IMHO I feel that Kaep is Roman's guy. Remember, Jim Harbaugh and Roman have been working together since the Stanford days. They worked together on Andrew Luck. When the 9ers went to take a look at Peyton Manning, reports were both Roman and Harbaugh went together to evaluate Peyton. I'm sure Harbaugh consulted Roman when they drafted Kaepernick.

just my assumption, I could be wrong...

pretty sure G-Ro isn't taking Kaep Any-damm-where. Alex would probably be a better option than any broken team hiring a new coach would have.


This year isn't over and Alex could take the field at anytime. With everything that Alex has been through I could see him entering a game a lighting it up. I'm sure Roman would take him in an instant. A team like Philly has pieces in place and would be a good fit. I'm sure Alex will avoid the losing teams.

It wouldn't be his choice if the team trades him, though I think Harbaalke would try to set him up nicely as a thank you.

Alex isn't going to be traded. He's got a one year contract right now.

1st year of a 3yr, actually. Everyone says it is like a 1yr deal for the team, since the can cut him w/little penalty. That said, Alex is still bound by the deal for two seasons after this.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,723
Originally posted by taney71:
Alex isn't going to be traded. He's got a one year contract right now.


Alex Smith is on a three-year, $24 million contract. He will be a free agent in 2015.

Alex Smith can be traded.

I am not saying he should be traded or that is likely that he will be traded; just that it is possible.

But, as I understand the contract, the 49ers can void the contract by not paying a bonus that is due in March 2013.
edit: That bonus is substancial. I think the bonus is 7.5 million.

If that happened, Smith would be a free agent in 2013.

If Smith is traded, the new team will pick up the old contract or will have to reach a new contract with Smith.

I think most teams would wait for Smith to become a free agent.
[ Edited by buck on Nov 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM ]
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
does anyone one else think that roman could bring alex with him if he gets a head coaching job?

Not sure anyone should care, really. I have lots of respect for Alex, but once he is no longer a 49er, then he's pretty irrelevant to me. Will always want good for him... but no 49er? then whateverz... see ya!
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by NONAME:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by jreff22:
If Roman goes it would be best for Alex to go with him

I'm on board with that, I will miss the guy though

yep. best team player we've had for years

this.. I for one will become a fan of the team they end up on and ditch the loser niners

I rooted for KC when Montana went there...just not when they played the Niners.


Same here...... I wanted to see Montana take the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. Alex is a 9er for life no matter where he ends up and I'll root for his team, EXCEPT when he goes against the 9ers..........

The best possible out for Alex is to land on a team with Greg Roman. San Diego would be perfect IMO, although I don't believe Rivers is done yet.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by taney71:
Alex isn't going to be traded. He's got a one year contract right now.


Alex Smith is on a three-year, $24 million contract. He will be a free agent in 2015.

Alex Smith can be traded.

I am not saying he should be traded or that is likely that he will be traded; just that it is possible.

But, as I understand the contract, the 49ers can void the contract by not paying a bonus that is due in March 2013.
edit: That bonus is substancial. I think the bonus is 7.5 million.

If that happened, Smith would be a free agent in 2013.

If Smith is traded, the new team will pick up the old contract or will have to reach a new contract with Smith.

I think most teams would wait for Smith to become a free agent.

It's a one year deal with a team option. I guess its fine to call it multiple year but I believe the third year is a team and player option. AB3 should clear this up.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
does anyone one else think that roman could bring alex with him if he gets a head coaching job?

Not sure anyone should care, really. I have lots of respect for Alex, but once he is no longer a 49er, then he's pretty irrelevant to me. Will always want good for him... but no 49er? then whateverz... see ya!

I'm with you on this one. I'm a Smith supporter (as I would be a Kaep supporter) but once he's gone I could care less.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,723
Originally posted by taney71:
It's a one year deal with a team option. I guess its fine to call it multiple year but I believe the third year is a team and player option. AB3 should clear this up.

Semantics aside, I think that we agree.

Here is a link to the site that I used for the contract information.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/sf/49ers
Just cause roman interviewed with only one college team he is now leaving ?....and taking AS with him ....when he was putting Kaep in the game ?
I JUST said this the other day... Roman will go to the Chiefs and take Alex with him. The will draft a rookie QB but have Alex mentor him for the next few seasons! Plus the CHIEFS LOVE old 49er QBs... Montana, Bono, Grbac!


Sonoma County Sports Fans with Danny & Dano
The ONLY Show FOR Sports Fans BY Sports Fans
1350 KSRO
www.socosportsfans.com
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Unless Kaepernick has a Brady-esque end of the seasons where he permanently wins the starting job and does superlatively in the playoffs, Alex Smith is going to stay as insurance (assuming we're doing okay on cap space).

Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick, together, are an affordable pair I think. Remember, that teams pay $15+ million for their franchise quarterbacks, and Alex makes less than $10 million, I believe. We can afford to keep them, especially if we're not 100% sure of the QB situation.

Good point. And maybe Alex sticks around as a backup and/or QB 1A. However, as compromising as he's been with renegotiating his contract and handling the courting of Peyton, I don't foresee him sticking around when their could be a market for him.
Originally posted by Radio49er:
I JUST said this the other day... Roman will go to the Chiefs and take Alex with him. The will draft a rookie QB but have Alex mentor him for the next few seasons! Plus the CHIEFS LOVE old 49er QBs... Montana, Bono, Grbac!


Sonoma County Sports Fans with Danny & Dano
The ONLY Show FOR Sports Fans BY Sports Fans
1350 KSRO
www.socosportsfans.com

Makes a ton of sense.
Originally posted by taney71:
I'm with you on this one. I'm a Smith supporter (as I would be a Kaep supporter) but once he's gone I could care less.

Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by taney71:
Alex isn't going to be traded. He's got a one year contract right now.


Alex Smith is on a three-year, $24 million contract. He will be a free agent in 2015.

Alex Smith can be traded.

I am not saying he should be traded or that is likely that he will be traded; just that it is possible.

But, as I understand the contract, the 49ers can void the contract by not paying a bonus that is due in March 2013.
edit: That bonus is substancial. I think the bonus is 7.5 million.

If that happened, Smith would be a free agent in 2013.

If Smith is traded, the new team will pick up the old contract or will have to reach a new contract with Smith.

I think most teams would wait for Smith to become a free agent.

It's a one year deal with a team option. I guess its fine to call it multiple year but I believe the third year is a team and player option. AB3 should clear this up.

$1mm March 1 and $7.5mm April 1. (I think)
Go ahead. Feel free to take him.