There are 199 users in the forums

greg roman and alex smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
I'd lol if Mark Davis blows it up (again) and entices both to Oakland...

...then the stadium is shared in Santa Clara.
It would cost the raiders too much so they would never do it, but it would be really good for that team imo.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
does anyone one else think that roman could bring alex with him if he gets a head coaching job?

Well it would have to be the Chiefs. It is a right of passage for most ex niner QBs.

That pipeline might have been shutdown 20 years ago.
LOL that is true. Maybe it would be a sign that we returning to the glory days.

Grbac and Young never did square off against each other did they? IIRC, Grbac was hurt when the Niners played the Chiefs in '97 and freakin' Rich Gannon blew us out & ended the win streak after the Tampa Bay debacle...Young had retired by 2000 next time the 2 teams played
I believe you are right. Grbac went to Baltimore after that when Billick was still there. Would like to see the discussion of a Kaep vs Smith showdown in what ever year we play the AFC West again or perhaps in the Super Bowl
I personally do not think Roman is sold on Alex Smith. IMHO I feel that Kaep is Roman's guy. Remember, Jim Harbaugh and Roman have been working together since the Stanford days. They worked together on Andrew Luck. When the 9ers went to take a look at Peyton Manning, reports were both Roman and Harbaugh went together to evaluate Peyton. I'm sure Harbaugh consulted Roman when they drafted Kaepernick.

just my assumption, I could be wrong...
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
I personally do not think Roman is sold on Alex Smith. IMHO I feel that Kaep is Roman's guy. Remember, Jim Harbaugh and Roman have been working together since the Stanford days. They worked together on Andrew Luck. When the 9ers went to take a look at Peyton Manning, reports were both Roman and Harbaugh went together to evaluate Peyton. I'm sure Harbaugh consulted Roman when they drafted Kaepernick.

pretty sure G-Ro isn't taking Kaep Any-damm-where. Alex would probably be a better option than any broken team hiring a new coach would have.

pretty sure G-Ro isn't taking Kaep Any-damm-where. Alex would probably be a better option than any broken team hiring a new coach would have.

This year isn't over and Alex could take the field at anytime. With everything that Alex has been through I could see him entering a game a lighting it up. I'm sure Roman would take him in an instant. A team like Philly has pieces in place and would be a good fit. I'm sure Alex will avoid the losing teams.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

This year isn't over and Alex could take the field at anytime. With everything that Alex has been through I could see him entering a game a lighting it up. I'm sure Roman would take him in an instant. A team like Philly has pieces in place and would be a good fit. I'm sure Alex will avoid the losing teams.

It wouldn't be his choice if the team trades him, though I think Harbaalke would try to set him up nicely as a thank you.
Roman is too smart for that. Plus, Roman is more likely to get a college gig
i see roman coaching the niners when harbaugh leaves unexpectedly in a tiff with management--alex smith is the niners qb, kaepernick follows harbaugh to his new team

kind of a willie beamon-cap rooney situation
Originally posted by hofer36:
i see roman coaching the niners when harbaugh leaves unexpectedly in a tiff with management--alex smith is the niners qb, kaepernick follows harbaugh to his new team

kind of a willie beamon-cap rooney situation

Yeah right... Damn good movie though
if new team does not have a good QB then yes it might be a chance but keep this after we won the superbowl. ;)

Originally posted by NONAME:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by jreff22:
If Roman goes it would be best for Alex to go with him

I'm on board with that, I will miss the guy though

yep. best team player we've had for years

this.. I for one will become a fan of the team they end up on and ditch the loser niners

I rooted for KC when Montana went there...just not when they played the Niners.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I rooted for KC when Montana went there...just not when they played the Niners.

smh....super bowl xxviii

could've been chiefs vs niners...instead it was cowpukes-bills pt II

ugh stupid eastern divisions...ruining perfect supers bowls again (harbowl I )
Wow , u guys are out of your minds., first of all Alex needs a good OL then needs A good RB & a good D to succeed . Non of the teams were mentioned are close to what the 49ers ! In conclusion
Alex not going to succeed !
Originally posted by ninermedic:
I'm on board with that, I will miss the guy though

Originally posted by UKNiners:
A true class act. He would be missed. Lets hope it works out.

Potential landing spots for a QB/HC pair?
KC
Ari
Phil (although Foles is probably the guy)
Jax (Gabbert - see above)
San Diego (Rivers is on a serious decline)
NYJ (Would be tough to buy a Smith jersey if a Jet)
Dallas (Come on Jerry. Romo isn't leading u to the promise land. As far as a jersey, see Jets comment)
Unless Kaepernick has a Brady-esque end of the seasons where he permanently wins the starting job and does superlatively in the playoffs, Alex Smith is going to stay as insurance (assuming we're doing okay on cap space).

Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick, together, are an affordable pair I think. Remember, that teams pay $15+ million for their franchise quarterbacks, and Alex makes less than $10 million, I believe. We can afford to keep them, especially if we're not 100% sure of the QB situation.
Originally posted by Pfield9er:
does anyone one else think that roman could bring alex with him if he gets a head coaching job?

We can only hope.
Share 49ersWebzone