There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Push in Back? Ahmad Brooks Sack?

is it just me, or are there a disproportionate amount of bogus calls this year by refs against the Niners?

( stuff like flags on the KICKING TEAM on kickoffs/punts and the above example against Aldon)
Total BS call! If anything it was on the Bears' Carimi for kicking the ball out of bounds. Brooks should have gotten a sack and FF. We also should of had our shutout for our D! The Bears got a huge gift on that play, even Gruden said how can you give a team a first down after a play like that!
This was a replacement official moment.
They ask a referee analyst during the game if it was a bogus penalty and he said it was. It was a bs penalty that gave the bears a score. Just like the refs tried to rule the safety an intentional grounding when rachal was clearly in the endzone.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
is it just me, or are there a disproportionate amount of bogus calls this year by refs against the Niners?

( stuff like flags on the KICKING TEAM on kickoffs/punts and the above example against Aldon)

I have noticed this too a bit... but this is a sign of a great team that we in fact overcome the refs to beat the other team still
Originally posted by mayo49:
That push in the back when two players are going after the ball is not an infraction.

This. Should never have been a penalty called on Aldon, that was bush league b******t and the only reason the Bears even got on the board.

There was like a 25-30 yard turnaround just based on that stupid penalty call.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 21, 2012 at 11:32 PM ]
Originally posted by bigwads:
On the play where Ahmad Brooks sacked Campbell who fumbled, Smith pushed Carimi in the back and they called a penalty that eventually gave Chicago a TD. First, WTF was that call...could you imagine if the replacement refs made that call? That is NOT a penalty. Second, why hasn't Brooks been credited with the sack? Even if there was a penalty doesn't the sack still count?

no penatly results in them advancing the ball so no sack. terrible call
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by mayo49:
That push in the back when two players are going after the ball is not an infraction.

This. Should never have been a penalty called on Aldon, that was bush league b******t and the only reason the Bears even got on the board.

There was like a 25-30 yard turnaround just based on that stupid penalty call.

and change in posession.
Was not a good call by the refs there.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
From my perspective it looked like Aldon was directly behind Carimi and maybe he assumed Carimi had finally picked up the ball so he "tackled" him by making contact with his back. definitely one of the most atrocious calls of the season that will not receive any media attention. Not to mention it was near simultaneous with Carimi illegally batting the ball out of bounds so shouldn't they have been offsetting penalties?
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Clearly a blown call and it lead directly to the Bears only score. But the fuster cluck surrounding the safety was even more egregious. The officials got that one wrong on several levels and were obviously confused over what had actually happened. My only hope is that the official's internal review process will flag these guys and we won't see them in the playoffs.
The penalty was because the ref determined that Aldon was not pushing Carimi in an attempt to get the ball. The rule states one player may push another if he is trying to get the live fumble,. If he is doing it to allow a teammate to get the fumble it is a penalty.

Batting the ball out of bounds is not a penalty. Advancing a fumble is a penalty, but the ball is just placed at the spot of the foul if I remember correct.

Either way on that particular play the Niners should have had the ball after a turnover on downs with no penalties thrown either way.
[ Edited by WINiner on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM ]
The real problem with this even being called, technical call or not, is that if dude recovers the ball doesn't Aldon have to tackle him or touch him? or something? To me it was just the refs making up stuff to try to keep the game close. The whole series with the sack/fumble/safety/forward pass was absolutely insane.
off topic a bit but one thing I absolutely hate about the NFL is that you can't challenge everything. You need a freaking PHD in the NFL rulebook to understand all the wrinkles. I wish coaches were given a certain amount of challenges and they could just use them for what they wanted
The call was a bummer, but Aldon shouldn't have pushed him in the first place. There was absolutely nothing to gain from it.