There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Push in Back? Ahmad Brooks Sack?

On the play where Ahmad Brooks sacked Campbell who fumbled, Smith pushed Carimi in the back and they called a penalty that eventually gave Chicago a TD. First, WTF was that call...could you imagine if the replacement refs made that call? That is NOT a penalty. Second, why hasn't Brooks been credited with the sack? Even if there was a penalty doesn't the sack still count?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I been wondering about this, too. No idea... I think the refs just f**ked up and the league is just gonna pretend it didn't happen.
Penalty nullifies the sack I'm pretty sure.

It was an absolutely atrocious call though.
Worst part was they would have had another shutout!
someone scour the rulebook on that. i thought it was the wrong call too.
luckily no one was hurt on the Niners D on any subsequent play in that drive (bears score lone TD) or i would've
I have no idea what the penalty was. It's not like it was a block in the back. Seemed to me Aldon was fighting for the ball by pushing the player away from it (had the ball stayed in bounds). I saw nothing wrong with the play. b******t call, but everything else went our way that night. A big fat 0 would've nice to see though, and a second shutout of the year.
Even if they were going to call Aldon for the illegal push in the back which Gerry Austin (long time ref) said it wasn't a penalty they still missed the illegal batting out of bounds by Carimi. I think that was a penalty as well so that would have been offsetting. What it should have been is no penalty on Aldon, penalty on Carimi... would have been declined and led to a punt from like the 50 instead of a 15 yard? penalty that eventually led to a TD.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Even if they were going to call Aldon for the illegal push in the back which Gerry Austin (long time ref) said it wasn't a penalty they still missed the illegal batting out of bounce by Carimi. I think that was a penalty as well so that would have been offsetting. What it should have been is no penalty on Aldon, penalty on Carimi... would have been declined and led to a punt from like the 50 instead of a 15 yard? penalty that eventually led to a TD.

There should have only been a penalty on Carimi if he batted the ball forward. He didn't so no penalty.

And it was a bad call on Aldon. At the stadium we could not tell what the hell the ref called.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Even if they were going to call Aldon for the illegal push in the back which Gerry Austin (long time ref) said it wasn't a penalty they still missed the illegal batting out of bounce by Carimi. I think that was a penalty as well so that would have been offsetting. What it should have been is no penalty on Aldon, penalty on Carimi... would have been declined and led to a punt from like the 50 instead of a 15 yard? penalty that eventually led to a TD.

At the very least this is how the play should have turned out.

I remember the commentator (not Gruden) saying "the flag was on Carimi for illegally hitting the ball out of bounds"
before the call was made. I'm sure nobody would have guessed it was on the defensive player trying to get the ball lol.

Real refs still a lil rusty maybe?
mike tirico and gruden pretty much assumed automatically penalty was on carimi for batting it forward/out of bounds...were flabbergasted when the official ruling was against aldon...even ESPN's rules analyst (retired ref?) pretty much said it was a BS penalty
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
That push in the back when two players are going after the ball is not an infraction.
You sure sportsfan that it has to be batted forward? I thought in a situation like that batting it out of bounds forward or backwards was a penalty. Too many rules to keep track of.
Yeah Brooks got screwed out of a sack/FF.
They never call that on fumble recoveries.

b******t