There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Wham Blocks

Yup, Aldon was, well, indescribable. Kap, with all that talent put on a show. The OL was fantastic. Our front 7 and DBs flat out ruled the Bears. Justin was his usual all pro self, allowing Aldon to get 5 sacks. Frank was normal...ie as in wonderful as was Hunter, Kyle, et al.

But the thing I enjoyed most of all, against the "team with the best D in the NFL"(quote read from Barack Obama to Patrick willis, who said, "Well, he's the man"), was when on at least 4 occasions , C and OG either pushed their men to the outside, or they crossblocked, and thru the hole came Miller, who flat azz stoned Lance Briggs twice, dumped him at least twice and leveled him one more time. That got Frank another 10 yds in each case. The two linemen over C and OG or the guys in the slots
(depending), took their guys outside,and miller just mauled the LB, usually Briggs, but he got some licks on someone else, too. Don't know how many points are awarded for the wham, but on a scale of 1-10, Miller definitely had a bunch of 15s. Amazing, just amazing.

It doesn't work if the two interior linemen don't move their guys, but they did and then miller came flying thru. I bet the Bears have never even seen that play before, because miller decked briggs and someone else a handful of times. One can only wonder if frank was laughing as he watched briggs on his back as frank ran by.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yup, Aldon was, well, indescribable. Kap, with all that talent put on a show. The OL was fantastic. Our front 7 and DBs flat out ruled the Bears. Justin was his usual all pro self, allowing Aldon to get 5 sacks. Frank was normal...ie as in wonderful as was Hunter, Kyle, et al.

But the thing I enjoyed most of all, against the "team with the best D in the NFL"(quote read from Barack Obama to Patrick willis, who said, "Well, he's the man"), was when on at least 4 occasions , C and OG either pushed their men to the outside, or they crossblocked, and thru the hole came Miller, who flat azz stoned Lance Briggs twice, dumped him at least twice and leveled him one more time. That got Frank another 10 yds in each case. The two linemen over C and OG or the guys in the slots
(depending), took their guys outside,and miller just mauled the LB, usually Briggs, but he got some licks on someone else, too. Don't know how many points are awarded for the wham, but on a scale of 1-10, Miller definitely had a bunch of 15s. Amazing, just amazing.

It doesn't work if the two interior linemen don't move their guys, but they did and then miller came flying thru. I bet the Bears have never even seen that play before, because miller decked briggs and someone else a handful of times. One can only wonder if frank was laughing as he watched briggs on his back as frank ran by.

That crossblock that Miller and I believe Tukuafu delivered was awesome! It got Chucky excited and they even highlighted all the different packages we ran with multiple blockers. Shows how creative we are at running the ball.
it was great to see how our O-line rebounded after that piss poor performance against the Rams
Not mean to hijack the thread. After watching 1.5 years of G-Ro's running game, I finally realized with my limited football mind, is that -- what makes our running so good is the ability to disguised where the blocking is coming from. Through multiple formations and personnel, the defensive players have a difficult time recognizing at the line where that initial blocking is coming from. Seems like it could be any number of guys from FB, Tackle, Guard, Swiss Knife D.Walker, TE. Sometimes they don't even bother to block a couple of guys at all. Basically let them overrun the play and just go straight to the second level and attack that. Using the aggressiveness of the defense against them. Where it may be obvious where the blocking will be, may not be at all, from what it looks like at the line.

Crazy good!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM ]
What about when Frank leveled Briggs? Knocked him straight back! THAT was my favorite, that a 5'9" running back absolutely creamed one of the premier 'backers in the league. All running backs could learn from Gore. I'm gonna bawl like a baby the day Frank is no longer a 9'er. A true football player!
qnn, that disguising was not there when Harbaugh still had his AFib, and the play calling was wretched. Guys can say all they want, but I think anyone who says Jim Harbaugh isn't calling a lot of plays, both O(mainly) AND D, is mistaken. Coach H says no, Roman and Fangio call plays, which is what I would do if I were in his shoes. Give the other guys credit....but, when Harbaugh was not well as in Rams game, our playcalling fell off a cliff. I think he wasn't right either during the Vikes and Giants games, and I predicted elsewhere, we now run the table with Coach H healthy. When you have asymptomatic AFib, and you start losing perfusion (oxygenation) to the brain, you feel weak, don't think well, and as is my guess, don't call a good game when only half there mentally. That has now changed and anybody left on the schedule should be forewarned. That said, I expect Brees to give us a good game. Disguising plays by motion, sets, or all of the above is almost essential in today's NFL, where everybody weighs about the same as everyone else, and you have to do something to get the edge....and that has been Harbaugh's edge. When you see it on replay, it is truly amazing how Coach has figured this all out. Miller and the Wham block tho, just let the air out of the Bear's tires.

4evr, that was a cool block by Frank. It did smoke Briggs, who must have thot he was doing something wrong Mon nite, when he got to lay on his back and look up at the stars on so many plays.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
qnn, that disguising was not there when Harbaugh still had his AFib, and the play calling was wretched. Guys can say all they want, but I think anyone who says Jim Harbaugh isn't calling a lot of plays, both O(mainly) AND D, is mistaken. Coach H says no, Roman and Fangio call plays, which is what I would do if I were in his shoes. Give the other guys credit....but, when Harbaugh was not well as in Rams game, our playcalling fell off a cliff. I think he wasn't right either during the Vikes and Giants games, and I predicted elsewhere, we now run the table with Coach H healthy. When you have asymptomatic AFib, and you start losing perfusion (oxygenation) to the brain, you feel weak, don't think well, and as is my guess, don't call a good game when only half there mentally. That has now changed and anybody left on the schedule should be forewarned. That said, I expect Brees to give us a good game. Disguising plays by motion, sets, or all of the above is almost essential in today's NFL, where everybody weighs about the same as everyone else, and you have to do something to get the edge....and that has been Harbaugh's edge. When you see it on replay, it is truly amazing how Coach has figured this all out. Miller and the Wham block tho, just let the air out of the Bear's tires.

4evr, that was a cool block by Frank. It did smoke Briggs, who must have thot he was doing something wrong Mon nite, when he got to lay on his back and look up at the stars on so many plays.

I actually laughed out loud at that block. I don't think Briggs believed any "smallish" back could do that to him! As for the Afib, I wonder if it had anything to do with some of Harbaugh's press conference demeanor and answers? In any case, he's hopefully back in synch and the coaching will reflect that.
THIS IS FUN!!!
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Don't know if anyone is a fan of the anime series Cowboy BeBop but the WAM play reminds me of an episode. Basically the main charater, Spike, is teaching another person how to fight. Using the opponets aggresion creates such an advatage that stenght and speed of your oppoent does not matter any more.

This play does such a great job of neatrulizing the DTs want to aggressively go up the field that it doesn't matter how talented your opposition is. Such a simply idea but when done right shows such great results.