There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers add S Eddie Whitley to P-Squad

Intriguing! Here's a scouting report on Eddie Whitley from www.sidelinescouting.com (I know there's a lot of scouting sites but they all say pretty much the same thing on him):

Positives -- Good athlete, can get up to full speed pretty quickly, can turn and run with most wide receivers... Has experience covering in the slot and underneath, closes to the football very well... Not afraid to come up into the box... Is a good tackler behind the line of scrimmage, wraps up running backs and quarterbacks with little problem... Experienced on special teams, as Hokies head coach Frank Beamer loves to play starters there... Named to the All-ACC 2nd team in 2011; finished the year with 83 tackles, including four for a loss and two interceptions... Started 27 of a possible 28 games over the previous two seasons, missed only the Duke game in 2010 due to a foot injury... Showed good intangibles by being the leader of a young Hokies defense that finished 12th in total defense... Was part of a senior class that went to three BCS bowl games.

Negatives -- Plays off of his reactions but won't be able to get away with that in the NFL... Seems fine with using his body to make tackles in the open field, and it caused multiple players to break for long gains when they should have been stopped after the reception... Will sometimes take poor angles to the football... Easily fooled by play fakes, the smallest of pump fakes can put him out of position... Ball skills are below average for a free safety, often mistimed his jumps when trying to get in front of a receiver for an interception... Needs to put on some weight before seeing significant playing time, his current weight won't be able to hold up to the grind of professional football... His lack of strength prevents him from hitting guys with much force, bigger players seem to just bounce off of him even when he tries to wrap up... His brain and legs seem to be on different pages most of the time, he'll want to do something but he gets his legs caught up under him; that half second of recovery time prevents him from being in the right position. Read more at Sideline Scouting: http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/s/eddie-whitley/#ixzz2DBFQ6kLR
I don't see this kid playing either safety spots on this team. Our safety position is pretty much spoken for - back-up, project, and starter. Instead, I see this guy being groomed to compete for the nickle corner for next season. Looking at his scouting report he kind of reminds me a lot of Cully. Good tackler but suffers due to technique. Closes on the ball well but ball skills need help. Good size but needs to put on a little weight. Depends too much on his instincs. "His brain and legs seem to be on different pages most of the time. . . . . " We have a very talented coaching staff that has no problem with developing players, so is issues are very correctable things for this coaching staff. Plus, he plays special teams very well. I honestly think that Cully will be the other starter at CB next season and Carlos Rogers will be either out or will have a smaller roll, like nickle corner. (Or could be used much like Charles Woodson is used in GB, especially if Goldson don't return.) So I think this PS signing could be more significant than many think.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
well if we lose Goldson in the offseason we now have:

FS Robinson, McBath, Michael Thomas and Whitley

SS Whitner Spillman

god help us if thats our options.