There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB "controversy", Harbaugh has his cake and eats it too.

Originally posted by VA49er:
The best case scenario is that Smith does win the SB. He becomes our QB for the next few years and gets a couple more because some team gives up the farm for Kaepernick. From a pure business stanpoint, if all things are "equal" you deal Kaepernick because the market will be so inflated for him.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Harbaugh is having his way, steers up the "contorversy" the media will bombard the Saints with questions regarding our QB "contorversy".

While Harbaugh is laughing his socks off.

Nice. I don't care who starts. As long as we get the W.

Beautifully, said VA. Like them both just win baby.
Harbaugh wants Kap to play again, it's inevitable that he will take Alex's job at some point. That point should be now
The best case scenario is that Smith does win the SB. He becomes our QB for the next few years and gets a couple more because some team gives up the farm for Kaepernick. From a pure business stanpoint, if all things are "equal" you deal Kaepernick because the market will be so inflated for him.

don't understand why some of you are so attached to smith, living in denial i guess
Originally posted by Afrikan:
no, if it did...

would you complain if Kaep started the rest of the season and won us a SuperBowl? So why does if have to be the Smith option? It should be which ever QB is the one that gets us there.

I wouldnt complain the slightest, But I do think alot more people would complain over Alex being here even after a title, then if Kaep were to take over from here forth simply because alot of what happened last night happens in almost all of our good games, the only big difference is Kaep chose the "higher risk" reads and still needs to learn to control some of the umph on his throws.

Probably not going to happen (the trade part) but I've been saying that the best thing to do might be to trade him. Smith has proven he can run Harbaughs offense. Proven vs. unproven. Why not pick up some extra picks?
Be honest, can you really blame Harbaugh for giving the media a little wiggle room on the QB question? Sure he didn't proclaim Smith the outright starter next week. But then again he can't do that until a doctor clears him. Plus Kaepernick just torched the Bears. Why bash him or put a damper on his confidence. Truth be told If I had to put money on it, a healthy Smith starts. However, even if I was Harbaugh and I knew Smith would be cleared to play, which he doesn't, I would still demure. I bet we go for a reverse on the Saints this week. We'll get a bunch of stories about Kaepernick getting the reps and then we'll start Smith last minute and NO will have prepared for the wrong guy all week. Bottom line is that NO will have to prepare for both QBs. The bears approach of "they are both the same" obviously didn't work.

Well said and nice use of the word demure.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
no, if it did...

would you complain if Kaep started the rest of the season and won us a SuperBowl? So why does if have to be the Smith option? It should be which ever QB is the one that gets us there.

Of course I wouldn't. I'm just saying that if Kaepernick was the guy who one the superbowl then smith would not command as much on the open market as Kaepernick if we dealt one of them. I'm actually happy to have them both on the team into the future but that might not be realistic. I also don't think it's unrealistic to think that Smith can get us to the superbowl. It is likely that Smith resumes his starting role if he is healthy so I still see that as the most probably route to the bowl this year. However I'm not going to hate on either of them. I'm happy that Kaepernick had a great night. I hope Smith get's well and I hope they both get a ring this year.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
No. If Smith is here next year he is here. Or else he is let go and we get nothing in a trade. The 49ers have a 9 million dollar option to pick up on him in March. If they pick that up, no team is trading a pick for and taking on his 9 million contract.

You act as if 9 million is a ton of money to pay a QB. I think there are something like 20 more QB's who have the same or higher salaries than him. If we let him walk he would certainly get a bigger contract as a FA (provided he maintains his current level of play).
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

don't understand why some of you are so attached to smith, living in denial i guess

To be clear. If Colin is to be the man then so be it. I'm just saying that if we can win with Smith we'll get more trade bait for Kaepernick than if we win with Kaepernick and deal Smith. Also to be clear. I don't care who starts as long as we get the W's. Back to the original point, I think Harbaugh love's the fact that teams must prepare for two QB's.
To be clear. If Colin is to be the man then so be it. I'm just saying that if we can win with Smith we'll get more trade bait for Kaepernick than if we win with Kaepernick and deal Smith. Also to be clear. I don't care who starts as long as we get the W's. Back to the original point, I think Harbaugh love's the fact that teams must prepare for two QB's.

On top of that teams dont really know what exactly to prepare for with either. Will Kaep kill you with his arm, will he kill you with his feet, will gore and hunter stampede through your defense, or will alex kill the clock and exhaust and frustrate your defense, thats about enough to get the steam out of a coaches ears.
Originally posted by UKNiners:

Probably not going to happen (the trade part) but I've been saying that the best thing to do might be to trade him. Smith has proven he can run Harbaughs offense. Proven vs. unproven. Why not pick up some extra picks?

Kaep has a higher ceiling than Smith. Whether you're a Smith supporter or Kaep supporter, no one can argue that. If we were to trade anyone, it'd be Smith.
Nice. I don't care who starts. As long as we get the W.

The same here

The 49ers traded up to get Kaepernick so don't expect Collin to be leaving any time soon. Alex Smith has a 3 year contract that guarantees him NOTHING. Even if Alex is the QB and the 49ers win another Lombardi this year don't think that will solidify Alex as the future of this team. Alex would have to put up some serious passing yards (something he has never done) to make the 49ers front office feel as if Alex is their man.Handing the ball off to Frank Gore and ranking 27th in the league in total passing yards is not going to do it. Trent Dilfer was let go after the Ravens won a Lombardi because the Ravens didn't feel he was the guy.

Kaepernick will take over the reigns either late this season (if Alex stumbles and falls) or most likely sometime before the start of next years pre-season.Harbaugh could have said " If Alex is ready to go against the Saints then he will start" but he didn't and he did it for a reason. It was not to keep the Saints guessing because he would not have to name a starter untill late in the week anyway. He was a QB himself and understands what the media is capable of doing to a coaches comments when dealing with QB's.. Harbaugh clearly placed Alex Smith on notice with his "HOT HANDS" comment. The writing is on the wall IMO and you might want to read it.