LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 391 users in the forums

QB "controversy", Harbaugh has his cake and eats it too.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Be honest, can you really blame Harbaugh for giving the media a little wiggle room on the QB question? Sure he didn't proclaim Smith the outright starter next week. But then again he can't do that until a doctor clears him. Plus Kaepernick just torched the Bears. Why bash him or put a damper on his confidence. Truth be told If I had to put money on it, a healthy Smith starts. However, even if I was Harbaugh and I knew Smith would be cleared to play, which he doesn't, I would still demure. I bet we go for a reverse on the Saints this week. We'll get a bunch of stories about Kaepernick getting the reps and then we'll start Smith last minute and NO will have prepared for the wrong guy all week. Bottom line is that NO will have to prepare for both QBs. The bears approach of "they are both the same" obviously didn't work.
[ Edited by VA49er on Nov 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VA49er:
To be honest can you really blame Harbaugh for giving the media a little wiggle room on the QB question. Sure he didn't proclaim Smith the outright starter next week. But then again he can't do that until a doctor clears him. Plus Kaepernick just torched the Bears. Why bash him or put a damper on his confidence. Truth be told If I had to put money on it, a healthy Smith starts. However, even if I was Harbaugh and I knew Smith would be cleared to play, which he doesn't, I would still demure. I bet we go for a reverse on the Saints this week. We'll get a bunch if stories about Kaepernick getting the reps and then we'll start Smith last minute and NO will have prepared for the wrong guy all week. Bottom line is that NO will have to prepare for both QBs. The bears approach of "they are both the same" obviously didn't work.

There is a definitely strategy to this on all sides for Harbaugh.

He keeps Kaep and Smith on their toes... each will have to give their absolute best to win the job.
Also, New Orleans has to waste time and prep for both QBs..... all the while trying to keep up with our complex running schemes.
Originally posted by Garcia:
There is a definitely strategy to this on all sides for Harbaugh.

He keeps Kaep and Smith on their toes... each will have to give their absolute best to win the job.
Also, New Orleans has to waste time and prep for both QBs..... all the while trying to keep up with our complex running schemes.

Exactly. Great point. Don't look behind the curtain NO. get your red hot secondary split between prep for our two passers and get ready to have a hefty dose of Gore and Hunter down your throat. This would be the perfect week to suit up Jacobs. Not likely to happen but I think we will run the ball very will on NO and hopefully our D can stunt their running game to make brees one dimensional.
Harbaugh is having his way, steers up the "contorversy" the media will bombard the Saints with questions regarding our QB "contorversy".

While Harbaugh is laughing his socks off.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Harbaugh is having his way, steers up the "contorversy" the media will bombard the Saints with questions regarding our QB "contorversy".

we know what we have in Kaep now. I think Smith will be declared the starter later this week and for the rest of the year.

But I think one of them is gone this off season.

It is a very weak class for QBs this year and with Smith's manageable contract I can definitely see geting a 3rd or 2nd round pick (probably more like 4th or 5th realistically) but Im sure that strongly depends on the outcome of this season.

What happens if Smith wins a superbowl?
I shutter to think about that (qb controversy wise)

Nice. I don't care who starts. As long as we get the W.
The best case scenario is that Smith does win the SB. He becomes our QB for the next few years and gets a couple more because some team gives up the farm for Kaepernick. From a pure business stanpoint, if all things are "equal" you deal Kaepernick because the market will be so inflated for him.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
The best case scenario is that Smith does win the SB. He becomes our QB for the next few years and gets a couple more because some team gives up the farm for Kaepernick. From a pure business stanpoint, if all things are "equal" you deal Kaepernick because the market will be so inflated for him.

its not gonna happen
Originally posted by fly15:
its not gonna happen

Would you complain if it did?
its not gonna happen

no, if it did...

would you complain if Kaep started the rest of the season and won us a SuperBowl? So why does if have to be the Smith option? It should be which ever QB is the one that gets us there.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM ]

Originally posted by Garcia:

we know what we have in Kaep now. I think Smith will be declared the starter later this week and for the rest of the year.

But I think one of them is gone this off season.

It is a very weak class for QBs this year and with Smith's manageable contract I can definitely see geting a 3rd or 2nd round pick (probably more like 4th or 5th realistically) but Im sure that strongly depends on the outcome of this season.

What happens if Smith wins a superbowl?
I shutter to think about that (qb controversy wise)

No. If Smith is here next year he is here. Or else he is let go and we get nothing in a trade. The 49ers have a 9 million dollar option to pick up on him in March. If they pick that up, no team is trading a pick for and taking on his 9 million contract.
I wonder of instead of winning this game we 'd lose what it would be the subject.....how one game can change the perspective of one organization.....and fans...If I remember well...a week ago who was taking about KAEP....the back up.......
I don't think kaepernick is going anywhere. IF any qb is gone next year, it will be Alex. Kaepernick is harbaughs guy
Originally posted by notsoempty86:
I don't think kaepernick is going anywhere. IF any qb is gone next year, it will be Alex. Kaepernick is harbaughs guy

What evidence do you have for that? I'm not denying it might be true. However, I just don't see how one can say that especially considering all the evidence that Smith and Harbaugh have a closer relationship. That might be BS but there's more to point to the Smith and Harbaugh link than anythign else.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Afrikan:
its not gonna happen

no, if it did...

would you complain if Kaep started the rest of the season and won us a SuperBowl? So why does if have to be the Smith option? It should be which ever QB is the one that gets us there.

this
Share 49ersWebzone