There are 176 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers position strength, strongest to weakest...

Strongest to weakest:

Punter
Kicker
Running Back (including Fullback)
Line Backers
Wide Reciever
Offensive Line
Corner Back
Defensive Line
Quarter Back
Safety
[ Edited by glorydayz on Nov 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM ]
You think our RB >> LB?

That's a close one, but I'd switch it.

Also our OL in general is probably >> WR
kicker is not strong this year

Linebackers
Running Back
Tight End
Oline
WRs
Dline
CBs
Safety
Kicker
QB
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
You think our RB >> LB?

That's a close one, but I'd switch it.

Also our OL in general is probably >> WR

The thing is, when you factor in depth the RB position is much stronger. We lose an OLB and we would sort of be in trouble. OL and WR are a tie to me, we have a few untested guys behind starters on the O-line as well as WR.
Originally posted by susweel:
kicker is not strong this year

Linebackers
Running Back
Tight End
Oline
WRs
Dline
CBs
Safety
Kicker
QB
Haven't we won a few games this year due to kicking?
LB
RB
OL
STs
WR
TE
DL
CB
QB
S
K
our Safety tandem is more important to our team than Alex Smith imo.

If a team needed to choose either our safeties or Alex Smith... I think they would go for Whitner and Goldson..both Probowlers.
Wow...our QB has one of the highest QB ratings in the nfl and you rate him from 3rd to last to last?
Originally posted by Afrikan:

If a team needed to choose either our safeties or Alex Smith... I think they would go for Whitner and Goldson..both Probowlers.

I dunno...We've won games without Patrick Willis...but we have yet to win a game without Alex since Harbaugh has been our coach.

Just saying.
LB
RB
TE
OL
S (5.A)
CB (5.B)
DL (something up with soap?)
WR
P
QB
ST's (return/coverage units)
K(What have you done for me lately?)
Originally posted by Jakemall:

I dunno...We've won games without Patrick Willis...but we have yet to win a game without Alex since Harbaugh has been our coach.

Just saying.

Has Alex even missed a game since JH has been HC?
Wow...our QB has one of the highest QB ratings in the nfl and you rate him from 3rd to last to last?

besides Kicker...which position would you say has been more inconsistent in our games? enough to be rated lower than Alex Smith.

basically again, like the example I gave a second ago, which starting players on our team do you feel teams would select Alex ahead of....if given a chance.

Would a team take Alex over Gore? our TEs? our WRs? our Oline? our Dline? our LBs? our secondary?
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 17, 2012 at 11:57 PM ]

besides Kicker...which position would you say has been more inconsistent in our games? enough to be rated lower than Alex Smith's importance to the team.

basically again, like the example I gave a second ago, which starting players on our team do you feel teams would select Alex ahead of....if given a chance.

Would a team take Alex over Gore? our TEs? our WRs? our Oline? our Dline? our LBs? our secondary?

Well if we're going by strength or stats... I'd say that Alex is probably a top 10 QB...at least. Probably closer to top 5.

Our WR core is not a top ten
Our special teams is not top ten
Our DBs are not top ten (heck we are last in the league in PDs)
Our OL could be a top 10 this season...I probably wouldn't have thought so at the beginning of the season.
Our TEs have been the model of inconsistency this season...in terms of the passing game...they have been great with blocking.

Also, I would not call Alex inconsistent. With the exception of a game where he had a sprained finger, he has for the most part performed well. Even great QBs have bad games...
[ Edited by Jakemall on Nov 18, 2012 at 12:09 AM ]

besides Kicker...which position would you say has been more inconsistent in our games? enough to be rated lower than Alex Smith's importance to the team.

Well if we're going by strength or stats... I'd say that Alex is probably a top 10 QB...at least. Probably closer to top 5.

Our WR core is not a top ten
Our special teams is not top ten
Our DBs are not top ten (heck we are last in the league in PDs)
Our OL could be a top 10 this season...I probably wouldn't have thought so at the beginning of the season.
Our TEs have been the model of inconsistency this season.

Also, I would not call Alex inconsistent. With the exception of a game where he had a sprained finger, he has for the most part performed well. Even great QBs have bad games...

Are we measuring ability, potential, or performance? Depth?

Despite the fact that the defense is considered the strength of the team, there have been games (a couple) where our entire defense (DL, LB, defensive backs) have not performed as well as we know they can. So should these groups be listed at the top when they've been inconsistent?

Our WR/TEs have had some games where they made some pretty bad drops (Detroit comes to mind) but they have really come on recently, especially Crabtree. After how weak this unit was last season (with the exception of VD) are we at the point where we can call this area a strength on the team? With the offense this team runs, will it ever be a "strength?"

Our offensive line is one of the best run-blocking lines in the game but doesn't seem to be at quite the same level for pass protection (both QBs have taken quite a few sacks when they play). Once again this unit has gotten a lot better since last year. But then, are they a team strength, and are we comparing them against, say, defensive groups based on ability, potential, or performance?

Our RBs have been really good. The are definitely a strength but whether or not they are the strongest on the team once again depends on what our criteria are.

I'm sure people aren't happy to see our QB rated so low but maybe that's actually kind of a good thing. Especially if it means the rest of the pieces on the team are performing really well. If you place all your chips on one guy to buoy the team and he goes down--like we were potentially dealing with--then you're sunk. Whereas where we stand now, he could be a strong player though not necessarily the strongest on the team, but the other areas are strong enough to keep you rolling.

so....

LB
P
RB
OL
WR/TE
DL
QB
CB/S
K
LB
OL
RB
DL
TE
S
WR
QB
CB
K/ST

This is my ranking based on relative to other players within the same position in the league.
[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Nov 18, 2012 at 12:52 AM ]