LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 147 users in the forums

Growing Pessimism

Shop Find 49ers gear online
niner fans are spoiled.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Nov 15, 2012 at 8:56 AM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Stopping the opposing offense?! Can you name when our defense did that in the playoffs? I don't get how

462 yards 4 td's, by Brees
and
316 yards 2 t.d's by Manning

How is that stopping the offense? Nearly 800 yards passing including 6 passing t.d's in two playoff games? Thats buckling down? Sorry buddy but that is not buckling down. Excuse me "zeroing in".

Well, our defense DID do an excellent job of shutting things down in the 2nd half of the NYG game. 1st half was ugly as heck, but we clamped down when it counted.

Now against the Saints, our defense royally ate sh*t in the 4th quarter.. giving up quick and large TDs when it counted.. but our offense stepped up big on each occasion.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Stopping the opposing offense?! Can you name when our defense did that in the playoffs? I don't get how

462 yards 4 td's, by Brees
and
316 yards 2 t.d's by Manning

How is that stopping the offense? Nearly 800 yards passing including 6 passing t.d's in two playoff games? Thats buckling down? Sorry buddy but that is not buckling down. Excuse me "zeroing in".

Eli had 316 yards on 32/58 attempts (~55%), 5.4 yards per attempt. those are both below his season average. (61% comp., 8.4 YPA)

Drew brees went 40/63 (63%) and 7.3YPA, his regular season stats were 71% comp percentage and 8.3YPA....... on top of that a 2TD's and a big chunk of yardage came in the final 5 minutes of the game...... don't forget the 2 INT's Brees threw.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
yes i am negative,. I have been worried all year about our lack of pressure , s**tty special teams, horrid pass protection. I have been assured by many not to worry, the coaches know whats going on, our defense and offensive line is elite..Sundays fiasco just made me realize some things. Are you people aware of the SAME things keep happening when we lose games so this is not just a bump in the road. I think this team has problems and as they keep happening it tells me either the coaches are clueless, which i do not think they are,, or they have ZERO idea how to fix it.the common factors in 3 losses( Yes i know what the score was sunday)
defense not ready to play
defense getting owned at the the end of the game when we are supposed to be unbeatable with a lead late in the game
defense struggling vs the run
defense sloppy with awfull penalties
entire team terrible with drive killing penalities and mistakes
special teams coverage horrid horrid
pass protection horrid
all those things came to a head sunday in that fiasco. our defense is soft vs good teams and is soft to often early in a game and at crunch time sunday they just faded away, willis allowed himself to be owned by jackson, no pressure on the quarterback and as a result the secondary gets burned plus rogers has been a bum .
You think I LIKE to list this stuff? I look at that list, I see those SAME things happening in very loss we have had this year, I SEE no improvement in kickoff and punt return coverage. I see two games in a dome coming up where we are horrid at. I see a team who will win ten at best, 9 is more realistic in my opinion, we either host a wildcard team or we are the wildcard team, we lose and thats it. I do not think our defense is elite, i think our special teams are horrid and can not be fixed. I saw the losses we had last year and saw that different little non tragic things led to a loss in each one of them during the regular season,,,, THIS year i see the SAME things happening over and over and THATS why i no longer think this is an elite team and whats more I worry the coaches know it and have no idea how to fix it
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Eli had 316 yards on 32/58 attempts (~55%), 5.4 yards per attempt. those are both below his season average. (61% comp., 8.4 YPA)

Drew brees went 40/63 (63%) and 7.3YPA, his regular season stats were 71% comp percentage and 8.3YPA....... on top of that a 2TD's and a big chunk of yardage came in the final 5 minutes of the game...... don't forget the 2 INT's Brees threw.

holy s**t they threw the ball 121 times

obviously you're going to give up a ton of yardage
Originally posted by ninermedic:
49ers never lost a single game under Walsh or Seifert. Simple fact. Not a single loss ever in between 1979 and 1996. That's why everyone is freaking out, how are we supposed to get to the playoffs if we lose any games during the regular season?

LOL THAT WAS GREAT!!!!!!
2010 Green Bay Packers (6-3) after nine games
... ended up 10-6
2011 New York Giants (6-3) after nine games
... ended up 9-7
1988 San Francisco 49ers (6-3)
... ended up 10-6

Here are three examples of teams that had very SPOTTY performances throughout their first 9 games. Furthermore, all of these team would play even worse after the 9 game mark...

... Giants lost four in a ROW last year after starting 6-2, had boat loads of problems even had their (Playoffs?) moment after slipping to 6-6.
... Packer barely held on to a winning record down the stretch.
... And, in 1988, as the 49ers fell to 6-5, riddled with injuries, quarterback drama, and even whispers that Walsh may be let go at the years end, pulled off a late season rally and stormed toward a third Lombard.!

Point being, any team with a decent record at this point can look at these examples and draw correlation's.

I reserve my paranoia, disappointment, and head scratching to the Chaos of it all. You take your bumps.

This is a good life lesson, don't be so fickle! Why these pessimistic people act this way is to protect there fear of being disappointed. So if the team does fail, they can at least have, "I told you so." It's really annoying, because if they do end up right, it's like calling a coin flip right and claiming you actually knew it was going to fall that way.

Holy moly, we're 6-2-1, in first place in our division and have a chance to take the lead in a playoff bye week race Monday. On all apects of this game, this team has at one time or another played at an elite level, that more than you can ask for. Question is can you get the hole machine running on the same game, and if you do, lets hope those games are playoff games.
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:
... ended up 10-6
... ended up 9-7
... ended up 10-6

Here are three examples of teams that had very SPOTTY performances throughout their first 9 games. Furthermore, all of these team would play even worse after the 9 game mark...

... Giants lost four in a ROW last year after starting 6-2, had boat loads of problems even had their (Playoffs?) moment after slipping to 6-6.
... And, in 1988, as the 49ers fell to 6-5, riddled with injuries, quarterback drama, and even whispers that Walsh may be let go at the years end, pulled off a late season rally and stormed toward a third Lombard.!

Point being, any team with a decent record at this point can look at these examples and draw correlation's.

I reserve my paranoia, disappointment, and head scratching to the Chaos of it all. You take your bumps.

This is a good life lesson, don't be so fickle! Why these pessimistic people act this way is to protect there fear of being disappointed. So if the team does fail, they can at least have, "I told you so." It's really annoying, because if they do end up right, it's like calling a coin flip right and claiming you actually knew it was going to fall that way.

Holy moly, we're 6-2-1, in first place in our division and have a chance to take the lead in a playoff bye week race Monday. On all apects of this game, this team has at one time or another played at an elite level, that more than you can ask for. Question is can you get the hole machine running on the same game, and if you do, lets hope those games are playoff games.

excellent post, thank you!
... ended up 10-6
... ended up 9-7
... ended up 10-6

Very good post! thanks...
Originally posted by cciowa:
yes i am negative,. I have been worried all year about our lack of pressure , s**tty special teams, horrid pass protection. I have been assured by many not to worry, the coaches know whats going on, our defense and offensive line is elite..Sundays fiasco just made me realize some things. Are you people aware of the SAME things keep happening when we lose games so this is not just a bump in the road. I think this team has problems and as they keep happening it tells me either the coaches are clueless, which i do not think they are,, or they have ZERO idea how to fix it.the common factors in 3 losses( Yes i know what the score was sunday)
defense getting owned at the the end of the game when we are supposed to be unbeatable with a lead late in the game
pass protection horrid
all those things came to a head sunday in that fiasco. our defense is soft vs good teams and is soft to often early in a game and at crunch time sunday they just faded away, willis allowed himself to be owned by jackson, no pressure on the quarterback and as a result the secondary gets burned plus rogers has been a bum .
You think I LIKE to list this stuff? I look at that list, I see those SAME things happening in very loss we have had this year, I SEE no improvement in kickoff and punt return coverage. I see two games in a dome coming up where we are horrid at. I see a team who will win ten at best, 9 is more realistic in my opinion, we either host a wildcard team or we are the wildcard team, we lose and thats it. I do not think our defense is elite, i think our special teams are horrid and can not be fixed. I saw the losses we had last year and saw that different little non tragic things led to a loss in each one of them during the regular season,,,, THIS year i see the SAME things happening over and over and THATS why i no longer think this is an elite team and whats more I worry the coaches know it and have no idea how to fix it
...."You think I like to list this stuff?" What stuff? All i see is barrage of sensationalist unsupported opinion.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
pass protection horrid
...."You think I like to list this stuff?" What stuff? All i see is barrage of sensationalist unsupported opinion.
so you have seen
great special teams play
great defense vs good teams
the team always ready to play
no silly stupid drive killing penalites
great pass protection
pro bowl pass coverage
constant pressure on the quarterback
the team not caving in at the end of the game on defense

we must be looking at different games. you are telling me with a straight face the things i have listed are a figment of my imagination? wow. denial. the things i have listed are "unsupported? the words,"have you seen those games and those losses" just want to leap off the keyboard , but i will restrain my self
The cup will either be half-Full or Half-Empty.

We are a VERY solid team and like every team that has ever played - Mistakes will happen. Get over it!

And save the woulda-coulda-shoulda crap.

We still haven't lost 2 in a row, our D is a top 3 D, we have 2 solid playmakers in VD and Crabs, our runnuning game is top-notch, our OLine is best it's been in 10+years.

Do we need to improve - absolutely!

Is the sky falling? Only in a hater world.
There is pessimism about Smith b/c some have unrealistic expectations for the type of offense we run orchestrated by HaRoman.

Aside from that, all I see is real concerns based on trends we've seen over the past 1.5+ years re: coaching, game plans, offense, defense and now ST.

B/c we are Niner fans with a rich tradition, are exposed to way more media (including FF/Madden sadly), games and game tapes and b/c this is such a team game, there will always be concerns and holes noted in our team...even if we win the Superbowl.

You are always improving or getting worse...you never stay the same.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
2010 Green Bay Packers (6-3) after nine games ... ended up 10-6
2011 New York Giants (6-3) after nine games ... ended up 9-7
1988 San Francisco 49ers (6-3) ... ended up 10-6

All those teams had elite QBs our's does not

Our defense and special teams play has tailed off, our offense can't take up the slack. That is enough reason for pessimism.

His post was bang on accurate.
Share 49ersWebzone