There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Growing Pessimism

Playcalling is holding the offense back.

The pass rush is simply not good enough on defense.

We have a good team but will need to greatly improve in both of these area's to win a Super Bowl.
Good thread and many good posts! The niners are one of the elite teams in the NFL but that doesn't mean them steam roll all the other teams as if they are Woody Hayes' Ohio State teams.

They are growing through the process of adapting to the new systems and the offense is beginning to catch up to the defense. Part of growing is accepting the highs and lows of the season, just as NYG did last year before they geared up for the playoffs. Our team played last year as if every game was the Super Bowl but they finally ran into some bad luck, lost and had to regroup.

Now I hope they have matured to the point where they can summon up the A game for the playoffs. Hope they are treading water a bit, learning new things, getting them ready for a higher high level of play.

STs are my only real disappointment...and I believe letting Costanzo go may have been a huge error. Last year he made almost every tackle on kick coverage...he was maniacal in his dedication. Who has replaced him? I do not see a single guy who stands out on these teams...punt and kickoff. So they had better find someone or develop a better scheme, quickly. Akers is having a down year as well but that happens and he still has time to turn it around. Does he have an injury? Possibly, as he doesn't look as confident even in warm-ups.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and the playoffs and hope this team is just going through growing pains on their way to a Super Bowl victory!
Shoot didn't the rams beat the pats?....oh no my bad it was the cards that beat the pats but eather way. Same point.
[ Edited by bluecoller49ninerfan on Nov 15, 2012 at 7:47 AM ]
If you were to analyze any of the teams with a high probability of making the playoffs you'll find glaring problems.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
This team is eerily reminiscent of the Jets 2 years ago. Brash new coach with creative schemes, dominant defense and running game covering up an average QB that came this close to going to a SB. It's not exactly the same but that team went downhill in a hurry, somewhere deep down I'm starting to fear this happening. I'm not worried about this year, we'll be in the playoffs, but so were the Jets those 1st 2 years.
Did y
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Playcalling is holding the offense back.

The pass rush is simply not good enough on defense.

We have a good team but will need to greatly improve in both of these area's to win a Super Bowl.

Well I sure hope you call jh and tell him cuzz I wanna see my niners in the bowl.....cmon man...these are the kind of post this post is talking about..who's to say that your idea of play calling would work I have faith in are coaches that they are making the best choices for watever they are facing...pls let us have one pos. Thread thx
Originally posted by ninermedic:
49ers never lost a single game under Walsh or Seifert. Simple fact. Not a single loss ever in between 1979 and 1996. That's why everyone is freaking out, how are we supposed to get to the playoffs if we lose any games during the regular season?

Never lost a single game from 1979 - 1996???? Then why are the '72 dolphins celebrating each year still?
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
49ers never lost a single game under Walsh or Seifert. Simple fact. Not a single loss ever in between 1979 and 1996. That's why everyone is freaking out, how are we supposed to get to the playoffs if we lose any games during the regular season?

Never lost a single game from 1979 - 1996???? Then why are the '72 dolphins celebrating each year still?

It's a reach...but...do...I...detect...a...tiny...bit...of...sarcasm...?
Nice post. But we haven't had a Superbowl in how many years now? And now that we have a team that knocked on the door last year, and arguably even better this year, it's Superbowl or bust.

But when you have a QB that gets exposed by a good defense it becomes frustrating, and that will be a glaring weakness in the playoffs that could possibly cost us a trip to the Superbowl. The defense came back in tact from last year for this opportunity (which is rare) and this year they're going to need help from the QB to get us over the hump.

If Alex Smith comes up short, it will be very heartbreaking.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
I hear ya but i'm not gonna sit here and ignore our glaring weaknesses. CB position is a glaring weakness. We don't have consistency at this position and thats essential. Our LB's are horrible in pass coverage. That is something that smart coaches expose and destroy us with. Soap is a great line plugger on the run, other than that our pressure is inconsistent on passing plays. Our Offensive tackles- Get embarrassed and only look good on the run. In order for our QB to perform at his full potential he needs more time. I'm not even gonna start a wildfire with QB talk. Just my opinion. Call me what u want.

we are like the number 4 rated pass defense,,, Actually are pass rush isn't as consistent other than Aldon Smith, which leads to the Secondary left one on one for longer periods of time.....Pass D is better this year
  • fip24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
This team is eerily reminiscent of the Jets 2 years ago. Brash new coach with creative schemes, dominant defense and running game covering up an average QB that came this close to going to a SB. It's not exactly the same but that team went downhill in a hurry, somewhere deep down I'm starting to fear this happening. I'm not worried about this year, we'll be in the playoffs, but so were the Jets those 1st 2 years.

I posted the exact same thought a few days ago and the post was not received well. Again, my main concern is that the team seems to show up to games feeling like the other team is going to be scared and lay down.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Nice post. But we haven't had a Superbowl in how many years now? And now that we have a team that knocked on the door last year, and arguably even better this year, it's Superbowl or bust.

But when you have a QB that gets exposed by a good defense it becomes frustrating, and that will be a glaring weakness in the playoffs that could possibly cost us a trip to the Superbowl. The defense came back in tact from last year for this opportunity (which is rare) and this year they're going to need help from the QB to get us over the hump.

When you have a defense that get's exposed because they are on the field all game it shows. Vikings, offense couldn't get into a rythym defense struggles. Giants- offense turns the ball over, defense struggles. St. Louis offense cant maintain TOP, defense struggles.

Could it be said that maybe our defense is so amazing because they are not on the field very much. Offense moving the chains giving them a rest? Is our offense getting exposed or is it our defense? Are we getting the turnovers like last year? We are right up there in t.o.p which shows that the offense is staying on the field. WHat if it's because our defense is out there more and more? What if they are getting exposed? Danny Amandola(sp) goes wild on us, Stephen Jackson goes wild on us, Bradford sits in the pocket for how long? How is it Alex's fault or Kaeps fault that Minnesota, Giants, and now St. Louis were able to move at will? Taking time off the clock and putting points on the board.

So how is that the QB's fault? Yeah sure they could play better at times. But so could our defense... This is a team game, we don't only lose because our QB is limited(even though he's top 5 in many important statistical categories. I don't know how that is "being exposed", especially with QB ratings of 100+ 3 out of his last 5 games.
We would have won if your starting QB didn't get hurt last week and would have been 7-2... 6-2-1 is still good. We'll win the superbowl, book it
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

When you have a defense that get's exposed because they are on the field all game it shows. Vikings, offense couldn't get into a rythym defense struggles. Giants- offense turns the ball over, defense struggles. St. Louis offense cant maintain TOP, defense struggles.

Could it be said that maybe our defense is so amazing because they are not on the field very much. Offense moving the chains giving them a rest? Is our offense getting exposed or is it our defense? Are we getting the turnovers like last year? We are right up there in t.o.p which shows that the offense is staying on the field. WHat if it's because our defense is out there more and more? What if they are getting exposed? Danny Amandola(sp) goes wild on us, Stephen Jackson goes wild on us, Bradford sits in the pocket for how long? How is it Alex's fault or Kaeps fault that Minnesota, Giants, and now St. Louis were able to move at will? Taking time off the clock and putting points on the board.

So how is that the QB's fault? Yeah sure they could play better at times. But so could our defense... This is a team game, we don't only lose because our QB is limited(even though he's top 5 in many important statistical categories. I don't know how that is "being exposed", especially with QB ratings of 100+ 3 out of his last 5 games.

Perhaps you can make an argument for that this season. But once we get to the playoffs, I expect it to be the same scenario like last season. The 49ers defense will zero in on stopping the opposing offense, and Alex Smith is going to have to outplay the other QB to get us over the hump. It's always like that in the playoffs, defenses tighten up, and it comes down to the QB's outplaying the other, that's the only way to get to the Superbowl and win it imo.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Perhaps you can make an argument for that this season. But once we get to the playoffs, I expect it to be the same scenario like last season. The 49ers defense will zero in on stopping the opposing offense, and Alex Smith is going to have to outplay the other QB to get us over the hump. It's always like that in the playoffs, defenses tighten up, and it comes down to the QB's outplaying the other, that's the only way to get to the Superbowl and win it imo.
Stopping the opposing offense?! Can you name when our defense did that in the playoffs? I don't get how

462 yards 4 td's, by Brees
and
316 yards 2 t.d's by Manning

How is that stopping the offense? Nearly 800 yards passing including 6 passing t.d's in two playoff games? Thats buckling down? Sorry buddy but that is not buckling down. Excuse me "zeroing in".
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Nov 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM ]