There are 251 users in the forums

Week 10: Thoughts after rewatching the Rams game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ercrusher:
Beating green bay at lambeu, beating Detroit,,,,and not be able to beat the rams.....I try to understand it...but I cant maybe opponents have realized already that. We rely in running , passing no more than 10 yards..and using one of the best TE in the NFL as lineman what a waste...I tought mike martz was gone.....

Not at all a Martz trait to use a TE...for blocking or anything else. He liked to split WRs out and let the D kill the QB.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
2) Kaepernick: he needs alot more work

3) Run D: I'm seeing a trend.

CK is not starter material at this point and his future and his development remain to be seen.
Willis failed on Run D. Enough said.
And obviously ST and ST coaching failed.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Good analysis. I don't know if I was just imagining things, but I saw Moss out there more when Kaep was out there. I wonder if they did that specifically because Kaep has a bigger arm than Alex. I remember Kaep looking deep on a couple of plays and not seeing anything open, I wonder if he was trying to find Moss?

(This was a post about Moss, please don't take this as a Alex/Kaep response)

I noticed this too....
What I think it is to be honest, is that Alex is a trust/ rhythm/ time in offense kind of guy. He throws a lot more to guys when he gets comfortable with their speed, thought process etc... You see it this year with Crabtree, they are on the same page and he is getting a lot more looks from Alex. Vernon has been the main beneficiary of this kind of thinking for years now. Its not a good or bad thing, it just is. Alex throws you the ball more once he "gets" you.

Kaep on the other hand has fewer reps with everybody, there is no pre-disposition. Infact he was having some trouble with his reads period. A guy in that situation isnt taking the time to look at jersey numbers or trying to predict where a guy is going to break...he is just trying to get through his progression and get the ball out to the guy who looks open.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Nov 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM ]
I think you saying you almost wish they lost instead of tied is tongue in cheek. Anything above a L is better than a Loss. This tie, which was a GIFT in my opinion could be the difference in the NFC West.
Sopoaga is getting owned on running plays and has done a terrible job in general this season. Watch this game and count the number of time Sopoaga is getting blown off the ball or lying on his back after a pancake block.
Gore showed up.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
A bit late on this one.

1) Alex Smith running tally: Stats after Eagles game in 2010 (Monday Night "We Want Carr" game). 34 Games, 910 Att, 583 Comp, 6710 Yards, 46 Tds, 13 INTs, 97.09 QB Rating. He currently has a 104.1 rating on the season, 3rd best in the NFL behind only Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers. He's completing 70.0% of his passes. He has twice as many TDs in his last 2 games as incompletions. Can we give the guy a break? Now all I keep hearing on talk radio is about Colin Kaepernick. Look, I like Kaep and all, but lets get real here for a sec. Alex was getting them back into this game before he got hurt. He was 7 of 8 with a TD when he left. Alex was NOT the reason they were losing...that was the defense playing poorly. Kaep may be the future, but Alex is having a GREAT season right now. If you don't see it then you really don't want to.

2) Kaepernick: On the subject of Kaep, I do like what I saw. He was hesitant at first, he made some mistakes, and he needs alot more work, but that game made me confident for the future. I'm not entirely convinced Alex isn't around for the long haul, but if he's not then Kaep will be a very attractive option.

3) Run D: I'm seeing a trend. The Niners are having issues with stong, violent backs. We've seen it with Adrian Peterson, Ahmad Bradshaw (not big, but violent), Marshawn Lynch, and now Steven Jackson. I hate to put it this way, but it's almost like those guys soften them up. Perhaps there is an issue with being undersized? I don't think so, but it makes me wonder. Also, this isn't a huge issue, they just aren't dominating in this category as they have in the past with the same players.

4) Aldon: Great game, but something the announcer said bugged me at first...until I realized he might be right. He was saying that 80% of Aldons sacks came on that Justin-Aldon stunt they run. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it was true. He got both of them in this game in that same play and one of them against Arizona. It's not really a concern so much...I'm just curious what happens when Justin's not around anymore. Hrmmm.

5) Akers: Grrr. Enough said.

6) Crabtree: I can't say this enough. I think Crab is FINALLY becoming the player we all hoped he would be. He's getting open. He's breaking tackles. He's making moves in space. Very happy with him this year. I also liked his standing there talking with Alex and Harbaugh when Alex was experiencing blurry vision. Thats not me first attitude.

7) Gore: DAMN. I don't think I've ever seem him so determined to not get tackled. He absolutely refused to go down on several occasions. Love it.

8) Defense in general: Very dissappointing game. Gave up TDs on two long possessions to start the game. Gave up another when it really mattered. Yeah, the fake punt helped the Rams, but the Niners KNEW they needed a TD and they simply couldn't stop them when it really counted. That concerns me. The lack of pressure is a concern as well. Yes, teams are getting the ball out quickly and the Niners aren't giving up huge plays, but some teams have been able to nickel and dime them to death.

9) Special Teams: That fake punt was a killer. I dunno how you defend that. Without that play the Niners win. We have one of the best ST Coordinators in the NFL so it seems odd to see them get caught twice. Something is up there. The Rams clearly saw something on tape to exploit.

10) A freakin' Tie: I almost wish they had lost. Almost. It just makes things more difficult when the playoffs role around. With the exception of Seattle, every team the Niners could have wanted to lose lost yesterday. With a win they could have put themselves in the drivers seat for the #2 seed. The D playing poorly, Alex getting hurt and David Akers missing that kick cost them that opportunity. After loses we all like to hope it was a learning experience. I think we have already had a few too many of those this season. The good news is that all those teams losing means that the Niners didn't LOSE any ground to anyone but Seattle. Anyway...Heres
hoping for a better performance on Monday Night.

Aldon Smith does get alot of pressure and sacks on stunt plays were Justin takes on two blockers. First of Aldon Smith played inside on passing downs in college and accelerates really well on these type of stunts. Props to coaching staff putting players in the best position to make plays.

Kaepernick performance was not perfect but if you remember Alex Smith in his early years then it is clearly obvious that Kaeper is better at this point in his carear than Smith was. Alex was given the starting job, Kaepernick get little playing time so Alex is currently the best option for the team.

As for run defense, I think that Soapoga is not playing well and Ricky Jean may need to become the starter real soon.
I gotta tell you guys, just watched the game again and here are my concerns:
  • Carlos Rogers - I have not seen a guy half-azz it more all season since Ahmad Plummer. Amendola could have had 200 yards against him alone if not for the Ram penalties. Ahmad Brooks saved Rogers 3 times on critical 3rd downs by batting down passes going his way. Each time his guy was wide open for the 3rd down and one of them was a FB! Another pathetic play is he has a WR wrapped up 5 yards short of the 1st down on 3rd and long and just two-hand taps him = easy first down. QB's are picking on him big time. He got his $ so sit his azz until he's ready to earn it. QB's have a 90+ QBR against him for the season. No excuses.
  • Defensive scheme - I have not seen such soft coverage in general on 3rd and VERY longs since the Manusky days. Absolutely pathetic coverage schemes. It was so bad at one point we weren't even set. Bowman was reaching down to pick up his mouth piece while his guy ran right by him for a critical 3rd and long conversion on the go-ahead TD. And TD's? Is it me or is just about every single passing TD in the RZ thrown right down the middle of the field with either Whitner/Goldson or Willis/Bowman trailing. How about get a freaking jam boys or maybe crouch down so you can get off the LOS quicker in coverage. This is the 4th time this year we faced a premier, BIG RB. How about a 4-man DL and force Bradford to throw in 3rd and longs.
  • Team tackling - there was none. It was two-hand touch if anything, tackling high on big backs, poor angles, 1/2 effort, standing around, etc. Zero passion on the field save for Amendola and Jackson. Jackson pwned Willis all game and even blocked out him badly on a blitz on the Rams final TD pass (wide open).
  • ST - still poor in coverage (thank you penalties), mentally burned (that 2nd one didn't even look like a punt formation so I don't know why we were so fooled; it looked like a simple shot gun play from the start. Ginn couldn't look slower but they did get the one strip that immediately lead to a Gore 20+ yard go-ahead TD. Well done.
  • Kaep - mixed. I love how he stood in there and took a hit while delivering (and completing). He has a strong arm, throws well left, decent pocket presence, made plays with his legs (TD, first downs, etc.). I liked (a lot) on the FG to tie-drive, his throws were quick and to the outside so his WR's could get out of bounds. That said, on the same drive he put the ball on the ground twice. He was VERY lucky b/c that was game if we had a TO there. Thank you Miller/Gore! He obviously missed a couple big plays including a wide open Williams for a TD. Mental mistakes as expected, none of his pre snap reads worked (kill/roll with it).
  • Penalties - once again we come out flat, pay uninspired football and absolutely kill ourselves with STUPID, rookie-like penalties. This is on coaching now starting with Harbaugh b/c this is a clear trend now.
  • OL - horrendous pass protection and they too, on many run plays just flat out got pwned, stood there, whiffed on guys, penalties, etc. Their DL played in our backfield all game long. The trend continues where they block their initial man for a second or two and then just stop and stand there and not play through the whistle. Terrible game.
  • Coaching - trends continue as do the vanilla schemes, no playing to our strengths, getting your playmakers free, penalties, uninspired play at home and AFTER a bye-week, etc. Fischer, their OC, DC & ST coaches all out-coaches us. Not good. The trend is when we win, we win as a team but man, when we lose, it's a collective fail from Harbaugh down to the water-boy. And that has to stop during a very tough upcoming stretch!
  • MVP - Gore, Aldon, Brooks, Miller and McBath/Grant (?) for the strip recovery.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
7) Gore: DAMN. I don't think I've ever seem him so determined to not get tackled. He absolutely refused to go down on several occasions. Love it.

When he scooped up that fumble, he ran with it like a man possessed. Can't wait to rewatch it. I was there and that run sparked the crowd.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

When he scooped up that fumble, he ran with it like a man possessed. Can't wait to rewatch it. I was there and that run sparked the crowd.

Absolutely critical play!

Originally posted by NCommand:
Absolutely critical play!

definitally saved us

cant believe he got a 10 yard game as well
A bit late on this one.

1) Alex Smith running tally: Stats after Eagles game in 2010 (Monday Night "We Want Carr" game). 34 Games, 910 Att, 583 Comp, 6710 Yards, 46 Tds, 13 INTs, 97.09 QB Rating. He currently has a 104.1 rating on the season, 3rd best in the NFL behind only Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers. He's completing 70.0% of his passes. He has twice as many TDs in his last 2 games as incompletions. Can we give the guy a break? Now all I keep hearing on talk radio is about Colin Kaepernick. Look, I like Kaep and all, but lets get real here for a sec. Alex was getting them back into this game before he got hurt. He was 7 of 8 with a TD when he left. Alex was NOT the reason they were losing...that was the defense playing poorly. Kaep may be the future, but Alex is having a GREAT season right now. If you don't see it then you really don't want to.

2) Kaepernick: On the subject of Kaep, I do like what I saw. He was hesitant at first, he made some mistakes, and he needs alot more work, but that game made me confident for the future. I'm not entirely convinced Alex isn't around for the long haul, but if he's not then Kaep will be a very attractive option.

3) Run D: I'm seeing a trend. The Niners are having issues with stong, violent backs. We've seen it with Adrian Peterson, Ahmad Bradshaw (not big, but violent), Marshawn Lynch, and now Steven Jackson. I hate to put it this way, but it's almost like those guys soften them up. Perhaps there is an issue with being undersized? I don't think so, but it makes me wonder. Also, this isn't a huge issue, they just aren't dominating in this category as they have in the past with the same players.

4) Aldon: Great game, but something the announcer said bugged me at first...until I realized he might be right. He was saying that 80% of Aldons sacks came on that Justin-Aldon stunt they run. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it was true. He got both of them in this game in that same play and one of them against Arizona. It's not really a concern so much...I'm just curious what happens when Justin's not around anymore. Hrmmm.

5) Akers: Grrr. Enough said.

6) Crabtree: I can't say this enough. I think Crab is FINALLY becoming the player we all hoped he would be. He's getting open. He's breaking tackles. He's making moves in space. Very happy with him this year. I also liked his standing there talking with Alex and Harbaugh when Alex was experiencing blurry vision. Thats not me first attitude.

8) Defense in general: Very dissappointing game. Gave up TDs on two long possessions to start the game. Gave up another when it really mattered. Yeah, the fake punt helped the Rams, but the Niners KNEW they needed a TD and they simply couldn't stop them when it really counted. That concerns me. The lack of pressure is a concern as well. Yes, teams are getting the ball out quickly and the Niners aren't giving up huge plays, but some teams have been able to nickel and dime them to death.

9) Special Teams: That fake punt was a killer. I dunno how you defend that. Without that play the Niners win. We have one of the best ST Coordinators in the NFL so it seems odd to see them get caught twice. Something is up there. The Rams clearly saw something on tape to exploit.

10) A freakin' Tie: I almost wish they had lost. Almost. It just makes things more difficult when the playoffs role around. With the exception of Seattle, every team the Niners could have wanted to lose lost yesterday. With a win they could have put themselves in the drivers seat for the #2 seed. The D playing poorly, Alex getting hurt and David Akers missing that kick cost them that opportunity. After loses we all like to hope it was a learning experience. I think we have already had a few too many of those this season. The good news is that all those teams losing means that the Niners didn't LOSE any ground to anyone but Seattle. Anyway...Heres
hoping for a better performance on Monday Night.

I don't think Alex getting hurt cost them the win. It was Akers blowing an easy field goal. The defense playing poorly is what got them there in the first place, but bottom line: if Akers doesn't choke, we win. Kaepernick led them to the comeback Brady-style (letting the kicker win the game) and our kicker couldn't get it done.

Akers has been terrible this year outside of that 63-yarder. Just awful.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I gotta tell you guys, just watched the game again and here are my concerns

Great and troubling post, NC...

As is my SOP, I am focusing first on offense... slowly.. and am not excited to re-visit the D side of the ball. All that you stated fits with my recollection though.

We simply HAVE to do something different with Rogers. No sense in paying him top dollar to do what any UDFA CB could do out there.

I don't think some people are being fair to Sopoaga about his season play.. but I will say I think he hasn't been as clearly dominant as he was last year.

People hate reading this... but I am saying it anyway. I am not liking the 3-4 for us. I know it is probably not wise to switch mid-season.. so I am not endorsing that... but in the offseason? Hmmmmm....
Someone should pay you for this Marvin because your posts are worth it.

We could easily have lost and we could easily have won. But a tie is far better than a loss when we get to playoff seeding.

I would really like to see Alex versus the Bears' D. I am afraid that CK does not have the experience to handle that and we would lose due to multiple turnovers.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
why the heck are you guys re watching it lol

Rams came out to kick ass while the 9ers were sleeping after a bye

When Smith went out you lose prob half the playbook so that is what it is

Far too many mistakes on D and ST.

Rams going for it at their own 10 on the fake punt took major ballz was a game changer and they did it TWICE

9ers better kill the bears of Harbs head might explode
Share 49ersWebzone