There are 157 users in the forums

Carlos Rogers really is less then average

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by nannite:
He is among the top players in the league in passes deflected in the three years before he came to the 49ers. In 2008, he was #1 in passes deflected. His problem in Washington was that he couldn't catch them. Last year was an aberration for him because he was able to hold onto them.

In general, I believe passes deflected is a better coverage stat than interceptions.

Is that why WAS allowed him to walk and he took a pay cut to sign a one year contract with us?

This seems accurate but he wanted to walk and was saying that all season that year. He was truly tired with that franchise and its ways, he came here to be a champion.
Rogers shouldn't be the slot guy when it's guys like Cruz and Amendola. He should move to the outside and Culliver (or Brown) should move inside. He is still solid (maybe a little overpaid) but he is older and slowing. He isn't quick enough to cover those guys who are 2 of the better WRs in the NFL. Amendola would replace Welker if he was in NE. He would have huge numbers.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Rogers shouldn't be the slot guy when it's guys like Cruz and Amendola. He should move to the outside and Culliver should move inside. He is still solid (maybe a little overpaid) but he is older and slowing. He isn't quick enough to cover those guys who are 2 of the better WRs in the NFL. Amendola would replace Welker if he was in NE. He would have huge numbers.

Why Culliver though? He's in the same mold as Rogers. Taller, and lacking in ideal balance and foot quickness.

Our only shot looks to me like Tarell Brown. That lil dude is shifty and quick.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Why Culliver though? He's in the same mold as Rogers. Taller, and lacking in ideal balance and foot quickness.

Our only shot looks to me like Tarell Brown. That lil dude is shifty and quick.

Yeah, when I was writing it I was thinking Brown as well because he is smaller and quicker. Either one would be better than Carlos. Either way you get the point and would you disagree I am wrong? I really wish the coaches would do that. Problem is those guys are so use to playing their own sides since they never switch it might be awkward for Brown when the slot guy is lined up on the left side since he is always on the right side.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM ]
Yeah, when I was writing it I was thinking Brown as well because he is smaller and quicker. Either one would be better than Carlos. Either way you get the point and would you disagree I am wrong? I really wish the coaches would do that. Problem is those guys are so use to playing their own sides since they never switch it might be awkward for Brown when the slot guy is lined up on the left side since he is always on the right side.

Ideally you'd like to have Culliver outside on bigger TE's and WR's that split out wide with Brown outside as well but playing his man tighter up at the LOS. IMHO, Rogers got his pay day and has been playing 1/2 speed and soft all year. He's now becoming THE target for QB's esp. on 3rd downs it appears. Pretty simple, just look to see which CB is playing the furthest off and it's usually Rogers.

Would I disagree... about... ?? Culliver being better in the slot than Rogers? Because I already firmly agree that Brown would be better in the slot. Culliver? Eh... not sure he's be any better than Rogers has been. I think NC nailed what Culliver does well.

Rogers just doesn't seem prepared, if I am honest... so maybe the $ has affected his preparation level. He also looks stiff and lacking in recovery burst.
Would I disagree... about... ?? Culliver being better in the slot than Rogers? Because I already firmly agree that Brown would be better in the slot. Culliver? Eh... not sure he's be any better than Rogers has been. I think NC nailed what Culliver does well.

Rogers just doesn't seem prepared, if I am honest... so maybe the $ has affected his preparation level. He also looks stiff and lacking in recovery burst.

That either one would be better in the slot than Rogers on 3rd down but I do agree if it's a smaller slot WR than Brown is more fit to cover. We don't mix things around like some teams where our best CB follows their best WR no matter where he goes. Brown is on the right, Carlos on the left and then in nickel Culliver goes to left and Carlos goes inside.

As for Rogers he gave up yards last year to it's just that the ball found him at times last year. Anyone thinking he would repeat 6 ints was crazy. It's not like he was lock down last year either. He's a solid corner, you could tell he's slowing and older though. I'm not so sure he's let down because of the money. You have to remember too guys that we play soft coverage and off and we are willing to give the underneath throws. We just don't want to get beat deep. The stat said we were the only team to not give up a 20 yarder pass play (up until yesterday). That's our formula. A lot of teams play off; if we played up in their face we'd eliminate those dink and dunk stuff but you have the risk of what happened on the 36 yard td where one guys misses on a tackle/jam, etc and he's gone. With playing off a bit you keep everything in front of you and make them earn their way down the field and then tighten up in the more compact end zone area. I will say though we have to draft a CB this year. Move Cox to #5... upgrade and make the whole position that much better.
he just needs to hold more like revis does all of the time
That either one would be better in the slot than Rogers on 3rd down but I do agree if it's a smaller slot WR than Brown is more fit to cover. We don't mix things around like some teams where our best CB follows their best WR no matter where he goes. Brown is on the right, Carlos on the left and then in nickel Culliver goes to left and Carlos goes inside.

As for Rogers he gave up yards last year to it's just that the ball found him at times last year. Anyone thinking he would repeat 6 ints was crazy. It's not like he was lock down last year either. He's a solid corner, you could tell he's slowing and older though. I'm not so sure he's let down because of the money. You have to remember too guys that we play soft coverage and off and we are willing to give the underneath throws. We just don't want to get beat deep. The stat said we were the only team to not give up a 20 yarder pass play (up until yesterday). That's our formula. A lot of teams play off; if we played up in their face we'd eliminate those dink and dunk stuff but you have the risk of what happened on the 36 yard td where one guys misses on a tackle/jam, etc and he's gone. With playing off a bit you keep everything in front of you and make them earn their way down the field and then tighten up in the more compact end zone area. I will say though we have to draft a CB this year. Move Cox to #5... upgrade and make the whole position that much better.

... not at all sure why you are stating the obvious, but oookay.. you do have it right. I get it.. have always got it. I just don't like it in some situations that we do it.

... not at all sure why you are stating the obvious, but oookay.. you do have it right. I get it.. have always got it. I just don't like it in some situations that we do it.

Get it...esp. with our laterally slow S's...hate it. Seattle certainly has no issue playing ultra physical as have others this year. If the refs don't call it... And we wonder why our TO's have dropped dramatically. We are not making a play on the ball. We are making a play on the RECEIVER after he catches it. No tips, INT's, jumping routes, disguising coverages, coming off men, etc.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Get it...esp. with our laterally slow S's...hate it. Seattle certainly has no issue playing ultra physical as have others this year. If the refs don't call it... And we wonder why our TO's have dropped dramatically. We are not making a play on the ball. We are making a play on the RECEIVER after he catches it. No tips, INT's, jumping routes, disguising coverages, coming off men, etc.

yep.. HEAR OUR CRIES, VICTOR !
Oldman, you have been on here long enough to know a lot of people on here don't know the obvious. I guess it was quoted at you technically so I don't have to because you and NCommand are two of the more knowledgeable posters on here. But when I quote someone I am still expecting everyone to read it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Can we cut him after this without a major salary cap hit ???
Originally posted by blm7754:
Rodgers sucks. It was stupid to resign him. We should have let him go and drafted a replacement in the first round. Hopefully we do get a replacement this offseason and cutting Rodgers won't be too big of a cap hit.

would cost us nearly 4 million in dead cap...

... BUT, we would still save 1+ million due to not paying out his 5.5 base salary... so there is that..

( not that Iike the idea of cutting him yet anyway )

for susweet ^
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
thank you sir
Share 49ersWebzone