Carlos Rogers really is less then average

They need to take him of the slot.
he has issues with the little fast twitch guys....he's fine
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
He sux. I hope Culliver takes his job next year.

You mean the same Culliver that tripped over himself and allowed an easy TD throw to Quick?

Not bashing Culliver, I like him a lot, but it just shows how fickle we fans can be sometimes. Rogers wasn't great today, but neither were any of the other 10 starters.

Aldon and Brooks did well today. So did Justin Smith.

Just because the overall defense looked like crap doesn't mean every one of them played like crap.

So true.

I tend to think that when a team performs like the 49ers did today after a bye week, some of blame, perhaps much more than some, can be put on the coaching staff.

Originally posted by nickbradley:
yep. One good season in his NFL career.

He is among the top players in the league in passes deflected in the three years before he came to the 49ers. In 2008, he was #1 in passes deflected. His problem in Washington was that he couldn't catch them. Last year was an aberration for him because he was able to hold onto them.

In general, I believe passes deflected is a better coverage stat than interceptions.
So is your grammar.
Originally posted by susweel:
They need to take him of the slot.

this needs too happen this week because i believe teams are game planning against him every week.
specially teams with good slot WRs
He should not be covering the slot WR. He gets owned buy quick footed WR's. He needs to stay on the outside and defend a portion of the field instead of being exposed to the entire field...
Originally posted by jays9ers:
He should not be covering the slot WR. He gets owned buy quick footed WR's. He needs to stay on the outside and defend a portion of the field instead of being exposed to the entire field...

Definitely this. I am so sick of watching Rogers try and make quick cuts and failing miserably. Dude plays like he is 6' 2" (think: Mike Rumph) and shows poor balance and burst when changing directions in the open field. HUGE, HUGE mistake by Vic Fangio... Problem is, how long would it take Brown (who is about the only CB we have with the foot quickness and COD skill) to learn how to play the slot? Answer likely = .
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Nope. The help is from the safeties on the outside. The slot is man-to-man, which is why Rogers was important last year. He did a great job in the slot without help. He isn't doing so well in that role this year so they should look at Brown or Culliver instead. They seem to be goinf with what worked last year. It might be time to make a change.

This. Rogers isn't all of a sudden a bad corner. It's just very clear that he has a weakness against certain types of receivers. We need to figure out who of Culliver, Brown, Rogers, and Cox is best suited to cover those guys one on one.
Originally posted by nannite:
He is among the top players in the league in passes deflected in the three years before he came to the 49ers. In 2008, he was #1 in passes deflected. His problem in Washington was that he couldn't catch them. Last year was an aberration for him because he was able to hold onto them.

In general, I believe passes deflected is a better coverage stat than interceptions.

Is that why WAS allowed him to walk and he took a pay cut to sign a one year contract with us?
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Don't be so quick to judge, Rogers didnt have a bad game. Its easy to assume that Rogers is in coverage on Amendola all game, but that wasnt the case. Even that 80 yard bomb in OT was well covered, it was just an amazing throw. Thank god it was called back
Originally posted by Ruhl:
Don't be so quick to judge, Rogers didnt have a bad game. Its easy to assume that Rogers is in coverage on Amendola all game, but that wasnt the case. Even that 80 yard bomb in OT was well covered, it was just an amazing throw. Thank god it was called back

I actually was stunned they went to Amendola deep. He's more of a possession WR than a vertical threat.
[ Edited by SFrush on Nov 12, 2012 at 6:43 AM ]
^ Amendola could do no wrong yesterday. Was crazy to see how well the Rams played... feels like every opponent plays their best football against us... then plays some other week like inept fools where I am left wondering how they beat us r gave us a run at all...
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Definitely this. I am so sick of watching Rogers try and make quick cuts and failing miserably. Dude plays like he is 6' 2" (think: Mike Rumph) and shows poor balance and burst when changing directions in the open field. HUGE, HUGE mistake by Vic Fangio... Problem is, how long would it take Brown (who is about the only CB we have with the foot quickness and COD skill) to learn how to play the slot? Answer likely = .

I don't know how long it would take, but I bet the end result would be better than watching Rogers get owned....
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

I don't know how long it would take, but I bet the end result would be better than watching Rogers get owned....

Yeah, these guys are veterans.. so Fangio shouldn't have to simplify our scheme too much to accommodate the change. Maybe I am wrong.. but Brown just looks like the best CB on our roster to play the slot. He's quick and shifty.. stays low and balanced. That is what Rogers lacks. He.. like Culliver... are the big bodied CBs you want on the outside. Another problem is... for as big as Culliver and Rogers are? They are not very skilled with press coverage. Ever see Brown play press coverage? For a smaller guy, he is pretty good at it.