There are 168 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our Defensive Line Depth

Given the almost certain departure of either Isaac Sopoaga or Ricky Jean-Francois and the need to draft a DE that can replace Justin Smith in a few seasons, does anyone know what we have in Demarcus Dobbs, Ian Williams, and Will Tukuafu? My thought is that the drop off is that steep considering you see them more on offense than you do on defense.
Yeah, I am very uncomfortable with our defensive line depth. We passed on a lot of good DL prospects last draft...not really sure what the plan is.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Nov 11, 2012 at 5:32 AM ]
The drop-off may seem steep, but that's really a testament to just how good the starters really are. Still, we don't have to put all our faith in Dobbs, Williams, Tuku, or any other youngling on the depth chart. We have the draft pick firepower.. so if there's a BPA defensive lineman we covet? Then fine by me. Still no need to force an early pick to a DL, but hey, great if he falls to us.

I do like Dobbs and Williams a lot. Quality starters? Eh.. can't say that.. but they are every bit as promising as most draft picks coming out in the late 1st and throughout. I really don't see us letting Sopo AND RJF walk.. so we'll still be in pretty good shape. Draft a promising rookie to compete with Dobbs and Tuku though.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
The drop-off may seem steep, but that's really a testament to just how good the starters really are. Still, we don't have to put all our faith in Dobbs, Williams, Tuku, or any other youngling on the depth chart. We have the draft pick firepower.. so if there's a BPA defensive lineman we covet? Then fine by me. Still no need to force an early pick to a DL, but hey, great if he falls to us.

I do like Dobbs and Williams a lot. Quality starters? Eh.. can't say that.. but they are every bit as promising as most draft picks coming out in the late 1st and throughout. I really don't see us letting Sopo AND RJF walk.. so we'll still be in pretty good shape. Draft a promising rookie to compete with Dobbs and Tuku though.

Would Dobbs. Williams, or Tuku be starting on any team in the NFL?

I doubt it
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Would Dobbs. Williams, or Tuku be starting on any team in the NFL?

I doubt it

Whatever u say, man... Not here to argue. I don't really think those guys have had a chance to really showcase whether they could start on other teams.. but they have looked good when they have seen some snaps.

What you said above is like saying "I doubt Daniel Kilgore could start for any team." Maybe he could.. maybe not.. just not enough information to say for sure.
They don't need to start. But lets say RJF is the starting NT next year or he walks and we have Sopoaga as the starter again. Can Dobbs or Tukuafu come in and fill the role RJF has now?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
They don't need to start. But lets say RJF is the starting NT next year or he walks and we have Sopoaga as the starter again. Can Dobbs or Tukuafu come in and fill the role RJF has now?

Unless I am not understanding your question...

No, we do not want Tuku or Dobbs playing NT... at all. That's not where they belong. Ian Williams would likely be retained if and when we lose one of RJF/Sopo. That still doesn't mean we can't draft a later round NT to compete with Ian as the backup though.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Whatever u say, man... Not here to argue. I don't really think those guys have had a chance to really showcase whether they could start on other teams.. but they have looked good when they have seen some snaps.

What you said above is like saying "I doubt Daniel Kilgore could start for any team." Maybe he could.. maybe not.. just not enough information to say for sure.

Kilgore was drafted
Tomsula got this. Best D-line coach in the NFL
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Whatever u say, man... Not here to argue. I don't really think those guys have had a chance to really showcase whether they could start on other teams.. but they have looked good when they have seen some snaps.

What you said above is like saying "I doubt Daniel Kilgore could start for any team." Maybe he could.. maybe not.. just not enough information to say for sure.

Kilgore was drafted

Boone undrafted. I like Dobbs, Williams and Tuku. My money is on Dobbs. Looks really good in his first preseason games. These are good prospects. With Tomsula we wil get starter contribution out of all three in rotation.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 11, 2012 at 8:08 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Boone undrafted. I like Dobbs, Williams and Tuku. My money is on Dobbs. Looks really good in his first preseason games. These are good prospects. With Tomsula we wil get starter contribution out of all three in rotation.

Stop. Boone was an alcoholic first round draft pick
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Boone undrafted. I like Dobbs, Williams and Tuku. My money is on Dobbs. Looks really good in his first preseason games. These are good prospects. With Tomsula we wil get starter contribution out of all three in rotation.

Stop. Boone was an alcoholic first round draft pick

Funny. I trust the ability of this coaching staff to develop players into starters. But I understand what you are saying. We need 1-2 high talent on the line, which we may still get. I think out of the 3 backups at least 1 of them will be a starter.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Given the almost certain departure of either Isaac Sopoaga or Ricky Jean-Francois and the need to draft a DE that can replace Justin Smith in a few seasons, does anyone know what we have in Demarcus Dobbs, Ian Williams, and Will Tukuafu? My thought is that the drop off is that steep considering you see them more on offense than you do on defense.

Hard to outguess Baalke! He has done a great job of keeping people together while dumping less productive players. Examples: Morgan vs Manningham/Moss, Baas vs Goodwin, Spencer vs Rogers, Boone vs Snyder/Rachal, TKO vs Bowman...these were all slightly different situations but they all worked out to strengthen the niners. Dobbs, Williams and Tukuafu are all reasonably inexpensive (dirt cheap?) players who are at least good team players. As Mac says--who knows if they can start?

The key on a team like the 9ers is to have solid players at every position and to be able to replace great players with strength somewhere to balance the loss. For instance, when Justin Smith retires will the team find another Justin? Not likely, but they may be able to upgrade two other front seven spots so the loss isn't quite as disastrous. They are hoping Aldon is the first part of that if he develops into a true super star...then they will need perhaps a NT who can collapse the pocket from the next draft.

Certainly can't complain with what they have accomplished over the past two years!
I hope Soap realizes his role on the team. There have been several games this year where he hasn't received many snaps, because of the schemes the other offense is running. So, to expect a large salary just isn't going to happen. He and RJF do have value, in that they can play end, as well. They do well in keeping people off Bowman and Willis, but they're not going to get superstar salaries.

The priority will be deciding what to do with Bowman and Goldson.
Every once in a while I've seen comments that JH/Baalke are impressed w/Dobbs, Tukuafu & Williams. I haven't seen anything to be impressed or unimpressed.

Frankly, I don't recall seeing them play very much to have an opinion.

One thing for sure, if we want to keep major pressure on QB's, we will need an impact DLine person to eventually replace Justin. I think he's 33.

If he were to go down w/an injury how far would the DLine's performance slip?