There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

Would it be crazy to trade Novarro Bowman?

I know it may sound crazy, but I think that trading Novarro Bowman after the season would be a wise move for Baalke.

I say this for two reasons:

1. Bowman will demand all-pro ILB money, and there's no way we're going to pay willis and bowman that kind of money. As a result, he'd probably leave after next year.

2. Competing needs - we have looming salary cap issues because, well, we have drafted extremely well. Goldson is an elite FS and will be somewhere else after the season if we can't pay him. Justin Smith, Tarrell Brown, and Donte Whitner are all also free agents after 2013; Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean-Francis are free agents after this season, and we could be left with zero depth on the Defensive line

Bowman is only 24, and will have (presumably) two all-pro/pro-bowl titles under his belt through two starting seasons. As a result, I would expect him to clearly fetch a first round pick (maybe extra picks too. Its probably the homerism talking, but we could end up drafting Shayne Skov in the 2nd or 3rd round and starting him as a rookie at the will position...we could also give Grant a 2-year contract extension as insurance.

Of course, we could also give Goldson the long-term deal he deserves as a result.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by nickbradley on Nov 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM ]
Goldson is more important. We already got Willis. So a 2nd ILB who is playing elite is greate but redundant. Lose Goldson and we are screwed. Lose Bowman and we have a 5% overall dropoff.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Goldson is more important. We already got Willis. So a 2nd ILB who is playing elite is greate but redundant. Lose Goldson and we are screwed. Lose Bowman and we have a 5% overall dropoff.

I half agree. I think having two all-pro ILBs is a historical strength that's rarely been matched. It allows us to do special things on defense.

That being said, if we spend $20m a year on inside linebacker, other positions would fall apart. In addition, trading Bowman could give us the flexibility to switch to a 4-3 in the future...not that I'm advocating that.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Nov 9, 2012 at 8:55 PM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I half agree. I think having two all-pro ILBs is a historical strength that's rarely been matched. It allows us to do special things on defense.

That being said, if we spend $20m a year on inside linebacker, other positions would fall apart. In addition, trading Bowman could give us the flexibility to switch to a 4-3 in the future...not that I'm advocating that.

There was not a big dropoff with Larry Grant playing 1 of 2 LB slots last year. 1 great ILB is enough. 2 is a luxury. A lot of salary is allocated to Willis already. Does anybody remember our defense against Dallas last year without Goldson?..... If people can't see the difference without him I don't know what to say. We just went to 10 years or so of absolute clowns at Safety. Now we have 2 good ones and 1 great one. You keep that together.
Having said all that I'd rather not trade him. I want to keep him. We paid Willis $17 million this year. It flips to $3 million next year. So we save $14 million. We have decisions to make on Jacobs, Sopoaga and even Alex Smith. We can probably get to $17 million cap room easily. Restructure a few and we get to maybe $20 million. If we don't retain Alex we could have more. It would depend how this season plays out. But I don't think our cap is as bad as it seems. We can probably keep both Goldson and Bowman.
There was not a big dropoff with Larry Grant playing 1 of 2 LB slots last year. 1 great ILB is enough. 2 is a luxury. A lot of salary is allocated to Willis already. Does anybody remember our defense against Dallas last year without Goldson?..... If people can't see the difference without him I don't know what to say. We just went to 10 years or so of absolute clowns at Safety. Now we have 2 good ones and 1 great one. You keep that together.

Before this season, I thought Goldson was overrated in pass coverage.

I think he has stepped his game up big time and The Hawk is now an elite safety.

So you're down with the trade then?

Before this season, I thought Goldson was overrated in pass coverage.

I think he has stepped his game up big time and The Hawk is now an elite safety.

So you're down with the trade then?

Not necessarily. Read the previous post.
Having said all that I'd rather not trade him. I want to keep him. We paid Willis $17 million this year. It flips to $3 million next year. So we save $14 million. We have decisions to make on Jacobs, Sopoaga and even Alex Smith. We can probably get to $17 million cap room easily. Restructure a few and we get to maybe $20 million. If we don't retain Alex we could have more. It would depend how this season plays out. But I don't think our cap is as bad as it seems. We can probably keep both Goldson and Bowman.

This one.
Not necessarily. Read the previous post.

yeah, I didn't see that when I replied
I'm just saying the priority order is this.

1) Goldson
2) Bowman

I saw no real dropoff with Larry Grant holding down 1 of 2 ILB spots. Whoever is injured or out. Doesn't really matter. Willis and Bowman are both good. There was a huge dropoff without Goldson in early 2011 with injuries. That's obvious. How anybody could doubt Goldson at this point is abusrd. He's not only top 5 (Goldson). I think he is top 3. Way elite. We can't lose him.

Also, I find it interesting that you'd cut our starting QB that has a QB rating of 102 to keep a will linebacker...
haha...wtf..its only you two talking to each other...lol

but yeah its tough man... I love Dashon...I'm ready to get his jersey....but I also love Bowman... I know replacing an ILB in the 3-4 would be easier if need be....but man I LOVE Bowman's ability to get to the Qb for an ILB. His speed and agility are just ridiculous when does get back there. Watching those replays of him doing it, it looks special.

I think the team will resign Goldson...either this season or next....I think they are going to franchise Bowman for as long as they need to....with hopefully a miracle of us being able to retain both of these studs.
Originally posted by Marsh:
Depends how much we could get

Assume a mid-first rounder. or, a late first rounder and a 4th.

Hypothetical: Novarro Bowman replaces a retiring Ray Lewis in Baltimore. Let's say we trade him for the 22nd and 120th overall picks.

I bring up BAL because they have absolutely no depth at ILB, all undrafted guys.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Nov 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
haha...wtf..its only you two talking to each other...lol

but yeah its tough man... I love Dashon...I'm ready to get his jersey....but I also love Bowman... I know replacing an ILB in the 3-4 would be easier if need be....but man I LOVE Bowman's ability to get to the Qb for an ILB. His speed and agility are just ridiculous when does get back there. Watching those replays of him doing it, it looks special.

I think the team will resign Goldson...either this season or next....I think they are going to franchise Bowman for as long as they need to....with hopefully a miracle of us being able to retain both of these studs.

1. This thread is 30 minutes old

2. Hoping for a miracle is not a plan

Also, I find it interesting that you'd cut our starting QB that has a QB rating of 102 to keep a will linebacker...

I didn't say I would do that. But it's something the team could or will look it if they don't feel he is the future. We probably don't have to. But if we did we get another $10 - $11 million of cap room.