There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should the 49ers sign T.O to a one day contract and allow him to retire a 49er?

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by cciowa:
good god no. good god. let him retire as a cowboy. i have x ed him out of my niner memorys. yes even the catch 2. he is a disgrace to our franchise.

Agreed.

Did TO do something to you or your family? Geesh!

You may not like him, but guess what? There has only been one WR in 49er history that was better than TO....and he wore #80.

This is a remarkably foolish comment. Try to understand that people can have an opinion differing from yours. There may have been only one receiver better than him, but ability alone is not the only factor here.
TO can go f*** himself. He bashed the team/players/coaches that made him a big name from the second he left. I hate TO with a passion
I just wanted clarification as to why someone is calling an all time great 49er a disgrace. There has to be some sort of personal vendetta to call him a disgrace.

Personal vendetta? C'mon dude.. You and I both know there are MANY people that view Owens as a disgrace. I seriously doubt anyone needs to wonder how others come to such a conclusion by now. Owens' actions are well documented and we all know why some see him as such.
Maybe but not until the off-season!

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
I just wanted clarification as to why someone is calling an all time great 49er a disgrace. There has to be some sort of personal vendetta to call him a disgrace.

Personal vendetta? C'mon dude.. You and I both know there are MANY people that view Owens as a disgrace. I seriously doubt anyone needs to wonder how others come to such a conclusion by now. Owens' actions are well documented and we all know why some see him as such.

Most of the people who view Owens as a disgrace have been brainwashed by the media. What most believe and what actually happened arent one and the same.

But you guys have fun ripping TO in this thread, while I continue to view him as one of the best 49ers to play the game.
He hurt the franchise. Hell no
Can we try not to get this one locked as well? Bear in mind this decision is not with us and what we think makes no difference. So lets just post our opinion and walk away.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
was it necessary to get personal about this with him, just because you passionately disagree?

he did worse. he ripped apart the niner family. of course it is never his fault but if you can not see he is a team wrecker who has to have the spotlight on him,, well i do not know. and if you want to start in who is second and third best. i would take john taylor, freddie soloman and gene washington over owens any day of the week

There is no doubt that TO likes the spotlight. That I can agree with you on. Team wrecker is something that I dont. Its all about how you perceive his situations, rather than what actually happened.

As far as taking John Taylor, Freddie Soloman or Gene Washington over Owens.......TO is a surefire Hall of Famer, while the three you mentioned arent even close. So the fact that you would take an inferior WR shows your bias and dislike for the guy overshadows everything.
ok,, you really want to go down this road... You tell me why he all of a sudden decided to imply garcia was gay? did he just wake up and decide to do it? you think he did not know how that would affect his relationship with garcia? why did he do it? right there he started a ripple and then when he decided he was bigger than the team, the star , the sharpie, it was clear he was the inmate trying to run the asylum. in our history few players put themselves above the team. john taylor freddie soloman and gene washington were not inferior wide outs so please do not let your blind loyality to your love for owens make you sound foolish. they did more for thier team than any glittering stat owens could ever trot out. they would never put themselves above the team, they were wonderfull in thier time with us. they never threw thier quarterback under the bus, they never split the locker room. they did alot of little things very well that in my opinion trumphs or overshadows any pretty stats owens every had.. by the way when owens pleaded to come back to the bay area, i note the niners did not even sniff on that one. they think the way i do, which they should..
Hell No. Would and should get Boo'd in SF
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
and he NEVER took responsiblity for his drops,, sure he like to throw garcia and any one else who f**ked up under the bus,,, but if he would drop a pass in a key spot,,, you never heard him stand up and take responsibility,NEVER, its always the fault of someone else, the media is a nice target
was it necessary to get personal about this with him, just because you passionately disagree?

he did worse. he ripped apart the niner family. of course it is never his fault but if you can not see he is a team wrecker who has to have the spotlight on him,, well i do not know. and if you want to start in who is second and third best. i would take john taylor, freddie soloman and gene washington over owens any day of the week

There is no doubt that TO likes the spotlight. That I can agree with you on. Team wrecker is something that I dont. Its all about how you perceive his situations, rather than what actually happened.

As far as taking John Taylor, Freddie Soloman or Gene Washington over Owens.......TO is a surefire Hall of Famer, while the three you mentioned arent even close. So the fact that you would take an inferior WR shows your bias and dislike for the guy overshadows everything.
ok,, you really want to go down this road... You tell me why he all of a sudden decided to imply garcia was gay? did he just wake up and decide to do it? you think he did not know how that would affect his relationship with garcia? why did he do it? right there he started a ripple and then when he decided he was bigger than the team, the star , the sharpie, it was clear he was the inmate trying to run the asylum. in our history few players put themselves above the team. john taylor freddie soloman and gene washington were not inferior wide outs so please do not let your blind loyality to your love for owens make you sound foolish. they did more for thier team than any glittering stat owens could ever trot out. they would never put themselves above the team, they were wonderfull in thier time with us. they never threw thier quarterback under the bus, they never split the locker room. they did alot of little things very well that in my opinion trumphs or overshadows any pretty stats owens every had.. by the way when owens pleaded to come back to the bay area, i note the niners did not even sniff on that one. they think the way i do, which they should..

Thank you for proving my point. (bolded)

I said it before, and it is very apparent. People's (including yours) dislike for TO has clouded their memory and opinions of the guy. TO's comment about Garcia started a ripple effect that affected our team? Oh really? If this was anywhere close to being true, this would be the first time in the history of professional sports that a player was able to rip a team apart while playing for a different team.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Nov 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM ]

Most of the people who view Owens as a disgrace have been brainwashed by the media. What most believe and what actually happened arent one and the same.

But you guys have fun ripping TO in this thread, while I continue to view him as one of the best 49ers to play the game.

It wasnt the media that forced the trade to philly for a 4th round pick and a injured Brandon Whitting

the media didnt cause trouble for the locker room and coaching staff ......he was a selfish, immature little brat , and IMO , that overshadows all the good things he did for the franchise, he turned his back on us , dont know why anyone that remembers the trouble he caused us could defend him
No.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
It wasnt the media that forced the trade to philly for a 4th round pick and a injured Brandon Whitting

the media didnt cause trouble for the locker room and coaching staff ......he was a selfish, immature little brat , and IMO , that overshadows all the good things he did for the franchise, he turned his back on us , dont know why anyone that remembers the trouble he caused us could defend him

You mean how he wanted to sign an extension with us? And how it wasnt until after there was a paperwork/contract error that he asked for a trade?

Once again, what happened with TO on the 49ers is remembered differently than what actually happened. He didnt cause trouble for when he was a 49er. Well, unless you consider his over the top touchdown celebrations as trouble.
For clarification, there are players that I wish the team to have nothing further to do with. Charles Haley is one, although I recognise him as a great player. Bill Romanowski is another, though I recognise him as a very good football player.

There is no hate in my heart for TO. But I don't see why he should wish to retire as a 49er. Had we brought him back for a final year I may have felt differently but we didn't.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home