There are 259 users in the forums

46 actives vs BJacobs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Trying to figure out why Jacobs isn't active - yes, I know ADixon is the 3rd RB for special teams. (Does Jacobs refuse to play ST? Or probably just not passionate about it?) There appears only about 5 spots BJacobs could replace on the 46:

1. Dixon - doubt BJ can displace him on ST
2. Celek - with Dobbs as a BU TE, this might work.
3. Robinson - Spillman would be the only BU safety, may work
4. Brock - Would we go with only 4 CBs? If Spillman or Robinson could play CB in a pinch maybe.
5. Tukuafu - but BJ can not replace him as the heavy FB - could Dobbs?

Actives:
1. ASmith
2. CKap
3. Goodwin
4. Boone
5. Iupati
6. ADavis
7. Staley
8. VDavis
9. DWalker (2nd TE and ST)
10. Celek (3rd TE and ST)
11. Moss
12. Crabtree
13. Manningham
14. Williams (4th WR and ST)
15. Gore (why doesn't he play ST - KIDDING!)
16. Hunter (does he play ST? KO returns?)
17. ADixon (3rd RB and ST)
18. Miller (FB and ST)
19. Ginn (5th WR and ST)

20. Soap (NT and ST)
21. RJF (DL and ST)
22. RMcDonald (ST?)
23. J Smith
24. PWillis
25. NBowman (ST)
26. Brooks
27. ASmith
28. Haggans (3rd OLB and ST?)
29. Grant (3rd ILB and ST)
30. Brown
31. Rogers
32. Whitner (Safety and ST?)
33. Goldson (Safety and ST)
34. Culliver (3rd CB and ST)
35. Cox (4th CB and ST)

36. Lee
37. Akers
38. Jennings

Back-up and ST Actives:
39. LDavis (RG and T)
40. Kilgore (C)
41. Dobbs (TE and DL)
42. Gooden (LB and ST)
43. Spillman (S and ST)
44. Tukuafu (FB and ST)
45. Robinson??
46. Brock??
good list. I wonder about it too. Robinson has been inactive past few weeks, McBath has been active every game this season, playing most snaps on STs.

Brock has been a ST guy too. The only one would be Celek. But they have used at TE so maybe they want to develop him to replace Delanie.

I wish Ian Williams would be active, but keeping all 7 DL active isn't possible on a 3-4 team I guess with Aldon and Brooks capable of playing DE at times.

Ginn as been the Returner for a few weeks now, both Punt and Kick. I think they took Hunter off the return duty, maybe still on STs kickoffs for blocking.
Id activate him over McBath, thats for sure. I think Robinson has only been active for one or two games so far. I like Celek for some reason but I really dont think Dobbs adds much for us.
I know, I know everyone seems to love the guy because of one good preseason and he plays two different positions. But he doesnt play either of those as well as Jacobs plays his.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Jacobs is not agile enough to replace Dixon, Robinson, McBath, or Brock on ST. its as simple as that, even he is willing to play ST his body type/speed and agility wont allow him to replace any of those players

Three of them are gunners for our punt coverage and Jacobs simply cant be a gunner for our team. Not fast enough, not agile enough, probably doesn't have the endurance for it either.

Tukuafu is too important for our defensive line, even though we've moved away from using him as fullback for the most part, we've finally started rotating our D-Line and Tukuafu is seeing the field more.

There could be an argument for benching Celek but I think we are trying to minimize the time that players like Dobbs and Tukuafu have to spend learning the offensive game plan while working on ST and defense. Plus Celek for the most part has done a great job in spot duty, he's dropped a couple of passes but we saw in the preseason how good his hands CAN be.

Right now Jacobs simply doesn't offer anything besides the short yardage power back role. Until Hunter or Gore gets hurt he wont see the field, simple as that.
I see no reason to try and fit this dude into the lineup.

Seems like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Why are people so anxious about Jacobs (or James) not seeing the field? It's not as if our running game is having problems... Short yardage success depends as much on scheme and OL play as in trucking RBs.
People continually fail to understand that Jacobs will only play if Gore is injured and misses time. That's it.
i'd rather activate before jacobs.
If LMJ could return kicks, and line up in the slot, we could sit Ginn, and Kyle Williams!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
If LMJ could return kicks, and line up in the slot, we could sit Ginn, and Kyle Williams!

lol - but in all seriousness I've said it in other threads that LMJ is probably going to be a Spiller(not so much anymore since he has finally shown up as a RB)/McCluster/Sproles role player that can line up as RB and a slot WR. I have a feeling he will be replacing Ginn in that aspect next year.

Jacobs wont be active unless there is an injury to Gore, Hunter, Dixon, or even Miller. There is simply no one else on the roster that Jacobs can replace in an "eye for an eye" capacity.

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
i'd rather activate before jacobs.

Yeah. is like a ghost on the field.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

lol - but in all seriousness I've said it in other threads that LMJ is probably going to be a Spiller(not so much anymore since he has finally shown up as a RB)/McCluster/Sproles role player that can line up as RB and a slot WR. I have a feeling he will be replacing Ginn in that aspect next year.

Jacobs wont be active unless there is an injury to Gore, Hunter, Dixon, or even Miller. There is simply no one else on the roster that Jacobs can replace in an "eye for an eye" capacity.

Yeah, he simply is insurance and we have to get used to that fact, really the only difference between this years roster and last, is we lost Castanzo, and replaced Morgan with Maningham...
Im starting to think the only reason we signed him was so giants didnt have him in the playoffs this year and to get info on the giants
dude who cares about Jacobs. Are we not leading the NFL in rushing?
Share 49ersWebzone