LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Interesting

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/11/03/no-sure-thing-49ers-will-re-sign-fs-goldson

What's concerning with this article is that the new stadium may cost us players? I don't think so. The problem is we have to sign our young guys now. Chris Culliver is a probowl corner. He could see a contract at 10-15 million per year soon. I don't want to think about Bowman's contract number. What we can't do is what we did in the 1990s and early 2000s: not get compensation for our players. Owens was worth at least a second round pick. Julian Peterson had minimal compensation. And now third round late choices which are basically 4th round picks are not good enough. We let Grbac a starter in the Nfl go for nothing. I think our GM and coach are better at managing the team, but we have serious issues coming.
Probably shouldn't respond at all with what I am thinking.. but for me, it just comes down to passivity. I'm comfortable letting Baalke and Marathe do their jobs and make the tough decisions. Of course, I want to keep all of our stud players... but hey, it's understandable that we can not.

The decisions to keep or not keep players like Goldson, Bowman, Sopo, etc. have pros and cons on both ends. Kinda glad these decisions are not up to me. Bowman is still making chump-change... so it would be cool if he were willing to sign an extension that is feasible for us and would triple/quadruple his income. Or will he wait it out and cash in grand fashion 2 years from now? Sopoaga may stay for less.. but is RJF good enough to throw a deal to him that is half as much in cost of Sopo? Goldson is definitely making it hard to let him walk away.. but he will be free to test the market, unless we can afford to tag him again. Little too soon for me to worry about Culliver. I do think Justin will be happy to sign an extension.. which would save us a few million heading forward. Gotta be time to part ways with Haralson's contract... might have to consider Goodwin too.

So far, the F/O has earned my trust in respect on.. well.. nearly everything.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Probably shouldn't respond at all with what I am thinking.. but for me, it just comes down to passivity. I'm comfortable letting Baalke and Marathe do their jobs and make the tough decisions. Of course, I want to keep all of our stud players... but hey, it's understandable that we can not.

The decisions to keep or not keep players like Goldson, Bowman, Sopo, etc. have pros and cons on both ends. Kinda glad these decisions are not up to me. Bowman is still making chump-change... so it would be cool if he were willing to sign an extension that is feasible for us and would triple/quadruple his income. Or will he wait it out and cash in grand fashion 2 years from now? Sopoaga may stay for less.. but is RJF good enough to throw a deal to him that is half as much in cost of Sopo? Goldson is definitely making it hard to let him walk away.. but he will be free to test the market, unless we can afford to tag him again. Little too soon for me to worry about Culliver. I do think Justin will be happy to sign an extension.. which would save us a few million heading forward. Gotta be time to part ways with Haralson's contract... might have to consider Goodwin too.

So far, the F/O has earned my trust in respect on.. well.. nearly everything.

Agree. I feel just fine in letting the front office handle all of these tough decisions for this team. Would love to keep all our players, but we all know in reality that just can't happen. They have done a very good job and hopefully will continue to do the same in the future.
What do you mean heavy payments for the new stadium? We f**king paid for that thing. I thought with the new CBA you needed to spend a certain amount of the cap, like 98% or something.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
What do you mean heavy payments for the new stadium? We f**king paid for that thing. I thought with the new CBA you needed to spend a certain amount of the cap, like 98% or something.

Yep! Ticket prices are probably going to double/triple for us! Those $10 beers just went up to $12 in 2014, $13 in 2015...If or when we resign Bowman/Culliver, that ticket price just went up again...and so did those beers. These corporate wizards aren't idiots & they didn't get to the top being an idiot...i'm sure all these contracts have been accounted for and plugged into their budgets.
Originally posted by Chico:

Yep! Ticket prices are probably going to double/triple for us! Those $10 beers just went up to $12 in 2014, $13 in 2015...If or when we resign Bowman/Culliver, that ticket price just went up again...and so did those beers. These corporate wizards aren't idiots & they didn't get to the top being an idiot...i'm sure all these contracts have been accounted for and plugged into their budgets.

It doesnt matter how much they charge for tix or beers or whatever, point is that there is a salary cap for players. And there is a 3 year freeze on ticket prices for the first three years of the new stadium
That is BS. PFT is not reliable anymore. What team insider was this? Give me a break. They will resign him and the building of the stadium will not have an impact on that. The niners want a good team to open the new stadium. They don't want a crap product to open it up. They want a energized fanbase with a good team to make them money.

Also, I've never heard that we are high on Spillman being the future FS. Does he even play on defense? He is good on special teams, but I've never seen him on defense.
Originally posted by sacniner:
That is BS. PFT is not reliable anymore. What team insider was this? Give me a break. They will resign him and the building of the stadium will not have an impact on that. The niners want a good team to open the new stadium. They don't want a crap product to open it up. They want a energized fanbase with a good team to make them money.

Also, I've never heard that we are high on Spillman being the future FS. Does he even play on defense? He is good on special teams, but I've never seen him on defense.

I have heard that. They actually said it on Monday night football.

1 (defensive snaps)
2 "

no snaps in week 2 and 7.. the rest, obviously very minimal snaps on D

Really? I missed that.... I just heard them hyping his special teams play which is solid.

even though Goldson was voted a ProBowl starter by fellow coaches and players and fans through out the league, what has PFW's view been on him? Not good. I've always felt that they try to use him as an example of a player to drastically have a different opinion on to get hits...to sound different.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran

Really? I missed that.... I just heard them hyping his special teams play which is solid.

Re-watched the game late last night...the only thing I heard was Chucky saying Spillman "can fly"...

Starting in 2013 It is 89.5% If I remember. Anything left is able to carryover to next season.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
interesting....
Will still go to opening day
Share 49ersWebzone