LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Rice's greatness in RAC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ubaisore:
Originally posted by Ether:
Why is Montana in the HOF? That was a 5 yard pass, max. Joe Cool? More like Joe Checkdown.
OK, I support Alex...but it is kinda sacralidge to speak of #16 that way....

Seriously, comparing Smith's short passes to Montana's short passes
I meant that in the Zone, saying someone checked down is used as a negative term.... i realize it was tongue in cheek, but some things just arent funny
  • Ether
  • Veteran
I meant that in the Zone, saying someone checked down is used as a negative term.... i realize it was tongue in cheek, but some things just arent funny

Did he or did he not check down to Rice? Did Rice take a 5 yard pass 70 yards or did Montana throw a deep pass and hit Rice in stride for the TD?

Did he or did he not check down to Rice? Did Rice take a 5 yard pass 70 yards or did Montana throw a deep pass and hit Rice in stride for the TD?

Guess i should have used a smiley.... this is why the Zone turned bad now... usually saying not to use a commonly negative term about one of the GOATS is not taken as you are... I happen to think checking down is fine...
[ Edited by ubaisore on Nov 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I thought a "check down" was a dump off pass to a back or tight end off a blitz. If Rice lined out wide and the play was designed for him to run a 6 yard slant, that isn't a check down it's simply his route.
Alex Smith would have taken the sack....

Jeez wasn't like he made a joke about children getting raped or something
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

Jeez wasn't like he made a joke about children getting raped or something

Alright already :) I was just defending Joe.... sorry if i ruffled feathers... I guess i need to leave the zone for a bit cause the endless "turning every thread into an Alex thread" is obviously getting to me
Man this brings me back. We had such great players for years! But most of the credit goes to Bill Walsh. You play how you practice!
Why is Montana in the HOF? That was a 5 yard pass, max. Joe Cool? More like Joe Checkdown.

the creativity of Ninertalk

I love how Rice never went for the elaborate celebrations you see now after a TD, it was always act like you've been there before.
I have come into a Jerry Rice thread where Montana is getting bashed? Stave thy tongue you Kerr! Blasphemous vandals spreading that filth!

Jokes aside love every winning Niner qb. Joe took us there as a West Coast Master, Alex can do the same if he's shifty enough.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Stupid check down. Joe was just a game manager.
LOL @ people who think check downs are to wide receivers.....
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
LOL @ people who think check downs are to wide receivers.....

Why is it funny? Most of the time it's to a RB but if a WR is the shortest route in the play, isn't he the check down?
Share 49ersWebzone