There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rice's greatness in RAC

Just happened upon this video....I remember watching this as a kid!!

The interesting thing when you watch the replay is how Rice sensed the blitz, stopped and took the ball the other way.
Then incredible ability to score, and awesome downfield blocking. For all the talk of great receivers today, I don't think you see plays like this too often.
He is still the standard by which all others are judged by, and probably will be for many, many years to come. Even with the rules changed to favor the offense his records can't be touched.
I miss Joe
Hell no, I hate dump offs!
YAC stat was created because of what Rice did.

I see all these WCO threads and how we dont go deep often enough and just laugh because the WCO I gre up watching lived off the short passing game.
Originally posted by kingairta:
YAC stat was created because of what Rice did.


This cannot be emphasized enough!
I don't think Rice 'sense' the blitz like Bradshaw said. He read it with Montana at the line. I'm pretty sure you don't guess anything in the Walsh offense. He recognized what was going on with the defense at the line, ran a shallow cross and stop in the middle, caught the ball in front of the 2 backers, then out run everyone to the end zone. Inside backers were slow back then by today's standard, so Rice and JT had ownage. The 90's Cowboys with their fast backers changed all that. Imagine Willis and Bowman on that play Jerry would be tackled where he caught the ball. There wouldn't be any YAC
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Just happened upon this video....I remember watching this as a kid!!

The interesting thing when you watch the replay is how Rice sensed the blitz, stopped and took the ball the other way.
Then incredible ability to score, and awesome downfield blocking. For all the talk of great receivers today, I don't think you see plays like this too often.

THat was sooo smoothe.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
THat was sooo smoothe.

Total body control. The reason he's so good at catching the ball. Slow or fast same body control so he can track the ball and make the catch. Same body control that let him run such good routes.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 871
#GOAT

Crabtree has the potential to master this aspect of receiving as well...I'm hoping he does
Originally posted by dcsham:
I miss Joe

Yeah, he was pretty good at checking down too.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
THat was sooo smoothe.

Total body control. The reason he's so good at catching the ball. Slow or fast same body control so he can track the ball and make the catch. Same body control that let him run such good routes.

Yup. He snatches the ball and takes a step before the defenders know whata going in.

He didntt wait for the ball. He grabbed that s**t and ran while the corners were still tracking the ball. GOAT
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by kingairta:
YAC stat was created because of what Rice did.

This cannot be emphasized enough!

Agreed. It was designed timing plays to get WR's in space and practiced to perfection. But it ALL started with the first step...beating the defender immediately off the LOS. THAT is what make Rice the GOAT (plus his hands and work ethic). He wasn't the faster, quickest or strongest but he WAS right off the LOS every time. He strived for that perfect game.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,494
Why is Montana in the HOF? That was a 5 yard pass, max. Joe Cool? More like Joe Checkdown.
Originally posted by Ether:
Why is Montana in the HOF? That was a 5 yard pass, max. Joe Cool? More like Joe Checkdown.
OK, I support Alex...but it is kinda sacralidge to speak of #16 that way....