There are 169 users in the forums

Which was your "false dawn" moment during the dark years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
OK, it's bye week and therefore slow. Furthermore, both our record and the way we've dominated most opponents so far show that last year wasn't a flash in the pan and that we're definitely back among the elite where we belong. So, why not have a bit of idle reminiscing?

My question is basically to pick the ONE moment during the bad years when you thought that we either turned the corner or that in the very least we would go on a dark horse rampage that year. Let's make it a bit more specific and (1) Define the dark years from 2003 and after, and not since Young retired; (2) Define the false dawn moment as a time within a season, and not e.g. when we apparently had a nice draft or when we "won" the FA in 2007. After all, the Bills this year prove what "winning" the FA really means. Zippo.

I suspect most people will either say the 2-0 start in 2007 or the 3-1 one in 2009. Some will even say the Denver win in the 2006 closer, which was followed by "winning the FA" that following offseason. But my moment was also in the 2006 just after we beat the Seacocks at home 20-14, playing a beautiful first half in glorious sunshine with a mix of nice offensive drives and a couple of nice turnovers . The score didn't really indicate how much we dominated what was then considered the class of the NFC West (for what that was worth a the time ). I really liked that 2006 team despite its flaws. They were inexperienced and, frankly, not very talented overall, but they had some great players coming into their own: Frank obviously, but also Walt Harris and even Bryant up to the Seattle game; and Alex actually looked like a decent NFL QB. That little 3-0 run vs Minny, Detroit (away) and Seattle, after some terrible losses at SD and KC, suddenly got us to 5-5 and hoping. Even ESPN had a tiny article that week titled "Are you surprised at the turnaround of the 49ers?"

And then of course it all went pear-shaped. Bryant got arrested that same night for speeding under DUI, then suspended for substance abuse, then we stupidly gave the game away at STL after running all over them but getting stopped at that infamous "4th and a half inch - take the FG" moment... and that was the end of the false dawn. We lost the next two as well, and despite the victory away at Seattle (Smith's naked bootleg and all that) I never felt the buzz again that season.
I thought Troy Smith was gonna take us to the play offs in 2010 after the win in London VS Denver.
I thought Nolan was gonna work out... I mean Turner?
That incredible left handed miracle catch from Brandon Lloyd via Ken Dorsey.

And of course, there was a penalty on us
[ Edited by JerryRice1848 on Nov 2, 2012 at 5:39 PM ]
When I started Rollin with Nolan
In 2006, the Thursday night game in Seattle. Although when norv left so late in the off season, I knew 2007 wasn't going to be good. Then it became worse than I imagined.
2006 Thursday night in Seattle

then again in 2009 after we stomped the Rams 35-0 only to get stomped by the Falcons a week later IIRC
when the suit made its debut on the sidelines
When we should have beat the Vikings in 09' and then Brett Favre struck...once again
To me, the most recent was the game a couple of years ago against the Texans when Alex Smith replaced Shaun Hill at half time. That was IMO the first time in a while where our team looked good (offensively anyway). Even though we lost that game, Alex Smith and the team looked pretty damn good. I remember how so many people on here were so excited. Then the offense just kinda sputtered back down to reality.
[ Edited by BloodWolf209 on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM ]

Originally posted by jcashen87:
When we should have beat the Vikings in 09' and then Brett Favre struck...once again

Yup. I thought coach singleterry had our guys bringing it and came out 3-0 THen lost to Favre and collapsed. Kind of how AZ fans must be feeling now haha.

False hopes.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM ]
Originally posted by KegBert:
I thought Troy Smith was gonna take us to the play offs in 2010 after the win in London VS Denver.

I thought singletary was going to take us to a SB. Lol
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

DAMN KWAME HARRIS
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Axl49:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

DAMN KWAME HARRIS

Im pretty sure the qb was cody pickett
Share 49ersWebzone