LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Kendall Hunter continues to impress

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ers_4ever:
Wow. How long has it been when Our Beloved Team is SO DEEP that our entire draft class does not need to take the field? Think about it. Already ready for the future. This coaching staff is nothing short of amazing.

I honestly do not think very many people appreciate that aspect of this team. We used to have 7th round picks getting major clock...now 1st rounders have to prove they even deserve to be active on gameday. I, for one, am loving the hell out of it.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Wow. How long has it been when Our Beloved Team is SO DEEP that our entire draft class does not need to take the field? Think about it. Already ready for the future. This coaching staff is nothing short of amazing.

I honestly do not think very many people appreciate that aspect of this team. We used to have 7th round picks getting major clock...now 1st rounders have to prove they even deserve to be active on gameday. I, for one, am loving the hell out of it.

Could be holding a bust... Won't know?
Originally posted by reasonable1:

Count me among those people.

I see posters getting mad that AJJ and LMJ have yet to see the field.

I say that is a testament to how crazy our depth is.

Enjoy it niner fans!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Could be holding a bust... Won't know?

I happen to think the "bust" label is a bit easier to avoid when a player has the luxury of learning the NFL game. Especially from players who have played at an all-pro AND pro bowl level. Jenkins has a rare opportunity to redshirt at a position where help is normally asked for immediately.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
He'll be a 1200yd / year back once Gore retires.

Doubt they would ask him to carry the ball that much.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Doubt they would ask him to carry the ball that much.

almost 800 touches in 3 years at Ok State in a pass happy offense. You never know...they might.
[ Edited by reasonable1 on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM ]
Kendall starts next year.

As long as Frank is still producing, I can't see Kendall starting over him. If anything Frank will remain the starter next season with Kendall and LMJ coming off the bench........

What about Jacobs? His roll on this roster is the real mystery.............
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kemp_j:
As long as Frank is still producing, I can't see Kendall starting over him. If anything Frank will remain the starter next season with Kendall and LMJ coming off the bench........

What about Jacobs? His roll on this roster is the real mystery.............

At this point, its hard not to jump right into the bust conclusion with Jacobs. I think he's A gap insurance, if Frank goes inactive. A week 16 hero. Nothing more, nothing less.
I think it would be great if they used Hunter a bit like Darren Sproles some more. I like seeing both of them in the backfield together (Hunter and Gore), and if they spread Hunter our in the slot or wide sometimes just to add a new look for defenses I think it would work out well.
They have been in the backfield together a few times a game and it gives the D something to think about. Gore's receiving is better this year, fewer drops, so the two are really double threats that should free up Crabtree and the other receivers. Screens to both sides would be an interesting design...throw to the guy most open.

The running game is great, but there's room for improvement. Frank and Hunter get good chunks of yards, but neither is a constant threat to break long runs for TDs. Frank doesn't have top speed and Hunter is too easily brought down. A runner that combines Frank's force with Hunter's speed is rare. I don't know that it's LMJ.

Also, I like the suggestion of two running backs in the backfield together ala Rathman and Craig or Wendell Tyler and Craig. The Niners used that against the Cards with Frank as the FB. Hope to see more. Also, maybe with Dixon/Jacobs as the FB and Frank as the HB.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CityKing415:
If he bulks up a little bit I dont see why he cant be our feature back. reminds me of MJD..but quicker.

He already has. It was reported that during this past offseason he cut even more fat off and gained back more muscle mass and weighs in at 204+ which is 5 pounds heavier then his rookie weight of 199.

MJD's listed height / weight is 5'7" 210

Hunter's reported height / weight after this off season is 5'7 205

Kendall is the next coming of MJD. He's the same size, he's stronger then MJD was as a rookie, he's "quicker" and more agile then MJD and he's got better core and lower body then MJD did as a rookie. These aspects are the one reason the combine drills are worth it, the only thing MJD did better then Hunter in was the 40 otherwise Hunter is a better athlete / stronger / more explosive then MJD.

MJD Hunter
40 4.39 4.46
3 cone 7.08 6.74
20 shuttle 4.41 4.21
Bench 18 24
Vertical 36 35
Long jump 116 122

the tool announcers jinxed it last night but in 1.5 seasons of carries Hunter has only lost yardages on 5 or so carries, this kid always finds a way to get something. Give him the rock for the majority of the night and he will run wild.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Honestly I expected him to be a little better and look better than Gore this year and so far it hasn't happened. Franky G is still the man, and when Kendall is running the ball the difference is definitely noticeable.
Kendall starts next year.

Getting ahead of yourselves
Hunter is impressing me but the Seattle game showed that Gore has the abilty to still be considered the team's lead RB. The future looks bright though with Hunter and James and I wouldn't rule out the Niners taking a RB high in the draft the year they think Gore is done.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Kendall Hunter continues to make the LMJ pick look like the second coming of the Dexter Carter pick!

Now there I disagree with you.

LaMichael will be just fine and he will know the offense backwards and forwards before he gets his first snap. He's gonna get his chance and reporters around the league will say stuff like, "woah, where did HE come from!?!"

Just watch. His time will come.

EDIT: oh yeah...and Dexter was a FIRST round pick.

IF, and that's a big if, LMJ adds some bulk maybe he'll pan out but he didn't look very good in preseason, Dexter at least got on the field with a very talented team!

LMJ may be better suited to slot receiver, ala Kyle Williams, if LMJ could return kicks, we could save money and roster space, by dumping williams and finn, that would be huge for this team, IF LMJ can up his kick return and receiving game.

Kendall is a much more complete back, running and blocking like he is twice his size!

Dexter was drafted to be a Dave Meggett/Eric Metcalf type player, just come in on 3rd downs and return kicks. Roger Craig got hurt in his rookie year so he ended up getting the ball much more than they intended.

The 49ers are much deeper at Halfback than that team was. That team didn't have Kendall Hunter and Brandon Jacobs sitting between Craig and Carter.

LaMichael will be just fine and he'll have a "redshirt" year to bulk up and learn to block.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone