There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by kray28:
We can't continue to have a play it safe QB and win under adverse conditions. It's a matter of adaptability....sometimes your defense will slip up, or special teams will give up a play, or your kicker will miss (we've seen it happen already). When you have a QB like Alex, you can't comeback....so for all his statistics, and low number of mistakes....it all boils down Alex not taking the chance to make a big play, because he's afraid of making a big mistake.

Bottomline, either Alex needs to figure out how make plays with his arm, or we need to go in another direction. We will not win a Superbowl playing scared, or playing the percentages etc.

this
what have you seen to make you think ck can do what you say alex can not do? or are just willing to say,, well i think and hope he can so that is good enough?

I've seen enough of what Alex cant do for 8 years to make me wonna see what the alternative is.
Alex Smith is the starter for this year and Kaepernick is a valuable back-up that we can't afford to lose. It's good to have depth on our team! A trade is not out of the question as long as the Niners received a deal that they couldn't pass up in 2013. (Smith or Kaepernick)

I feel that Alex Smith has to take us to the Superbowl this year. If he falls short again, then I feel that the Niners have no choice but to give Kaepernick a shot at the starting job in 2013. Many Niners fans would like to see what CK7 brings to our team, even if it's from a curiousity stand point. We currently don't have that answer, but we all can prognosticate with the best of them.

I support both qb's on our team. The bottom line is that the 49ers want to be the super-bowl champion. I trust that Harbaugh will make the right decision to get us there.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,007
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by kray28:
We can't continue to have a play it safe QB and win under adverse conditions. It's a matter of adaptability....sometimes your defense will slip up, or special teams will give up a play, or your kicker will miss (we've seen it happen already). When you have a QB like Alex, you can't comeback....so for all his statistics, and low number of mistakes....it all boils down Alex not taking the chance to make a big play, because he's afraid of making a big mistake.

Bottomline, either Alex needs to figure out how make plays with his arm, or we need to go in another direction. We will not win a Superbowl playing scared, or playing the percentages etc.

this
what have you seen to make you think ck can do what you say alex can not do? or are just willing to say,, well i think and hope he can so that is good enough?

I've seen enough of what Alex cant do for 8 years to make me wonna see what the alternative is.
ok,, as i say i respectfully and fondly disagree with you!! by the way are you starting to be ok with crabs and moss esp after monday or still concerns with them? that is just you and i having a cup of coffee and talking niner stuff
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by kray28:
We can't continue to have a play it safe QB and win under adverse conditions. It's a matter of adaptability....sometimes your defense will slip up, or special teams will give up a play, or your kicker will miss (we've seen it happen already). When you have a QB like Alex, you can't comeback....so for all his statistics, and low number of mistakes....it all boils down Alex not taking the chance to make a big play, because he's afraid of making a big mistake.

Bottomline, either Alex needs to figure out how make plays with his arm, or we need to go in another direction. We will not win a Superbowl playing scared, or playing the percentages etc.

this

it reminds me of those old Matt Cain memes....just replace Matt Cain with 49ers defense. For those who are not Giants or Baseball fans..Matt Cain used to never get offensive support.








  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,007
Originally posted by fugus1:
Alex Smith is the starter for this year and Kaepernick is a valuable back-up that we can't afford to lose. It's good to have depth on our team! A trade is not out of the question as long as the Niners received a deal that they couldn't pass up in 2013. (Smith or Kaepernick)

I feel that Alex Smith has to take us to the Superbowl this year. If he falls short again, then I feel that the Niners have no choice but to give Kaepernick a shot at the starting job in 2013. Many Niners fans would like to see what CK7 brings to our team, even if it's from a curiousity stand point. We currently don't have that answer, but we all can prognosticate with the best of them.

I support both qb's on our team. The bottom line is that the 49ers want to be the super-bowl champion. I trust that Harbaugh will make the right decision to get us there.
i disagree with the smith has to take us to the super bowl or he is gone. i know we got to the nfc title game but it is just illogical to set that as your "ceiling". lots of quarterbacks take thier teams deep into the playoffs without a threat of being cut if they do not make it. not sure why there are different sets of rules for alex as compared to other quarterbacks
keep grooming him.

let him push alex
keep open minded to trade options (depending on how tolzien progresses)
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by kray28:
We can't continue to have a play it safe QB and win under adverse conditions. It's a matter of adaptability....sometimes your defense will slip up, or special teams will give up a play, or your kicker will miss (we've seen it happen already). When you have a QB like Alex, you can't comeback....so for all his statistics, and low number of mistakes....it all boils down Alex not taking the chance to make a big play, because he's afraid of making a big mistake.

Bottomline, either Alex needs to figure out how make plays with his arm, or we need to go in another direction. We will not win a Superbowl playing scared, or playing the percentages etc.

this
what have you seen to make you think ck can do what you say alex can not do? or are just willing to say,, well i think and hope he can so that is good enough?

I've seen enough of what Alex cant do for 8 years to make me wonna see what the alternative is.
ok,, as i say i respectfully and fondly disagree with you!! by the way are you starting to be ok with crabs and moss esp after monday or still concerns with them? that is just you and i having a cup of coffee and talking niner stuff

Im not a big fan or Crabs or Moss but I sure do cheer them when they are making good plays for us.
keeping him as the #2, gives us alot of options in creative play calling
This is a phony question. A modern NFL team needs at least one good backup QB or they risk disaster. The worst potential single injury that the Niners could suffer would be AS out for the year. Whether or not they can win a SB with him is an open question, but they sure as hell can't without him. CK is a second round pick and thus a long shot to ever make it as a star QB. Keep him, try to improve him, and Tolzien too.
It's trade time, Alex is our guy like him or not, and he is coming back next year Too many teams need QB help and we can always find a late rounder to hold the clip board. He is worth more to us as draft picks down the road
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
keeping him as the #2, gives us alot of options in creative play calling

Notice how he was watching from the sidelines this last week. That gimmick is done
cciowa
You might want to go back and read my post again. I didn't indicate that Smith would be gone if he didn't lead us to the Superbowl. Let's be honest now.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
keeping him as the #2, gives us alot of options in creative play calling


wildkap.......
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
keeping him as the #2, gives us alot of options in creative play calling

Notice how he was watching from the sidelines this last week. That gimmick is done

The coaches mentioned that they let it go overboard and they want to get other players involved. To me that means in order to get other players involved they need to keep him on the bench. Instead of wasting plays and being limited with the few plays Kap knows well (along with the rest of the league knowing now too). The Arizona game showed that we were more effective with that mindset (keeping Kap on the bench).
Let him call the passing plays for Alex while Roman calls the run plays - win-win!