There are 263 users in the forums

What is wrong with our pass rush?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They played very well.

Brooks is really coming on.

The only stat that matters in the end is "WINS"
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
I thought our pressure up front was the best its been all year. I probably won't rewatch the game until the coaches film is uploaded to game rewind, but our entire front was collapsing the pocket consistantly. Even the ilb's were getting in the mix, which is a not of a rarity for us.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
you know i have been b***hing about our pass rush all year but then you look at the stats, what we have done, cept for the giants in recent games and i feel really stupid for yelling at our defense,. I think we are at the top or near the top in every category? i am going to stop this gobble gobble stuff about our defense
Originally posted by defenderDX:
No rotation duh

I disagree, when the Niners started rotating in the second half, that is when the qb pressures and sacks started happening. When Dobbs, Tukuafua and Haggans gave the starters a rest, the starters came in with fresh legs and got to the qb.

Not to underestimate the future competition, but when the team is winning by more than 3 TD's, rotating in the back ups ( to give the starters a rest and give the back ups valuable game experience) is a must to prepare for a push in December and January.

Gore- Should be relieved by Hunter/jacobs/James
Sopoage- RJF and Ian Williams
Ray McDonald- Tukuafu
Justin Smith- Dobbs
Aldong Smith- Haggans
Willis- Larry Grant
Alex Smith- Colin Kaepernick
VD- Delanie Walker/Celek

Notice I do not have them substituting OL, as they are gelled. Also no subbing for WR's, as they have depth if the starters go down. Also they rotate in WR';s all game anyways.

I think rotating is the key to the niners making a run in January. They need Gore/Justin Smith/Ray McDonald/ Sopoaga/ Willis/ Aldon Smith- all with fresh legs.
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Move out of the spotlight Gire, Aldong has arrived!

PS. Aldong autocorrects to sodomy... seriously!?!?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
No rotation duh

I disagree, when the Niners started rotating in the second half, that is when the qb pressures and sacks started happening. When Dobbs, Tukuafua and Haggans gave the starters a rest, the starters came in with fresh legs and got to the qb.

Not to underestimate the future competition, but when the team is winning by more than 3 TD's, rotating in the back ups ( to give the starters a rest and give the back ups valuable game experience) is a must to prepare for a push in December and January.

Ray McDonald- Tukuafu
Justin Smith- Dobbs
Aldong Smith- Haggans
Willis- Larry Grant
VD- Delanie Walker/Celek

Notice I do not have them substituting OL, as they are gelled. Also no subbing for WR's, as they have depth if the starters go down. Also they rotate in WR';s all game anyways.

I think rotating is the key to the niners making a run in January. They need Gore/Justin Smith/Ray McDonald/ Sopoaga/ Willis/ Aldon Smith- all with fresh legs.
did haggans hold his own at least? I still think we are razor thin there but if haggans did a good job, then i feel better
Every team we face is hitting our defense with quick passes. Its all they can do. Our pass rush hasn't had as many opportunities as last season. Teams know that there will not be a pocket for them to step up into so they rarely try. Quick hitters and believe it or not running the ball is the only way to attack this defense and that is borderline futile. This defense is just unreal and at this point I'm praying we get the Giants in the playoffs. This defense is better. I don't care what anyone says. The giants were better on the Sunday they played the 49ers this season but alot of that had to do with our offense being complete garbage that day. Any other day, and I'm taking this defense without thinking twice. GO NINERS!
Originally posted by 9erred:
No rotation duh

Ray McDonald- Tukuafu
Justin Smith- Dobbs
Aldong Smith- Haggans
Willis- Larry Grant
VD- Delanie Walker/Celek

we had no rotation in the beginning exactly
I agree, the hurry up, quick hitters on the outside (w/ or w/o the blitz) is very effective as are TE's in the middle of the field and RZ (for whatever reason) and running b/c this DL can wear down with little to no rotation. These are our weaknesses.

The quick hitters can be thwarted by tighter, more physical play by the CB's up at the LOS (rather than playing deep). Rogers made a living last year doing that and getting picks by jumping routes. The DL, no doubt and esp. the OLB's need a rotation. Aldon needs better play recognition in passing plays. The middle is always the weakness of any 3-4 defense but I have no idea why TE's have success against us and always seem to make, one-handed circus catches. LOL
Originally posted by dtrain2011:
What in the world is wrong with our pass rush, I mean I love the win, but we gave up to many pads yards

Are you serious???? Anytime that throws the ball 55 times is going to get lass yards. Come on!!!! Stop reading into stats and watch the game.

Originally posted by NCommand:
I agree, the hurry up, quick hitters on the outside (w/ or w/o the blitz) is very effective as are TE's in the middle of the field and RZ (for whatever reason) and running b/c this DL can wear down with little to no rotation. These are our weaknesses.

The quick hitters can be thwarted by tighter, more physical play by the CB's up at the LOS (rather than playing deep). Rogers made a living last year doing that and getting picks by jumping routes. The DL, no doubt and esp. the OLB's need a rotation. Aldon needs better play recognition in passing plays. The middle is always the weakness of any 3-4 defense but I have no idea why TE's have success against us and always seem to make, one-handed circus catches. LOL
Because no defense will shut down every play completely. So when a lower team is playing the Niners they try to put their best foot forward like Minnesota did. They try to play the best because they are playing the best. So sometimes professional players display professional skills on the stage of the football game. Some times better teams get beat by inferior teams, but not usually.

I think one of the goals of the Niners is that they do not worry so much about sacks, although they are nice. They are content to beat up the QB and win in the fourth quarter. Now I think it would be nice if our sacks and turnovers would skyrocket, but in the end the issue is did we win or did we lose regardless of what the stats say.
Share 49ersWebzone