LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

What is wrong with our pass rush?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What in the world is wrong with our pass rush, I mean I love the win, but we gave up to many pads yards
The pass rush has not been great but it did get better tonight. Also most of those pass yards were in garbage time, much of it when we were playing with a big lead and giving their WRs cushion, allowing the clock to run down. We were still stout whenever they were near our red zone.
umm what? BRB
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
umm what? BRB

TBPH, IDK either
Originally posted by dtrain2011:
What in the world is wrong with our pass rush, I mean I love the win, but we gave up to many pads yards

We were rushing four and playing soft coverages. You notice that we didn't give up that many yards deep? The whole idea was to make the Cardinals have to dink and dunk their way all the way to the end-zone. They had to burn so much of the clock. In the second half, we didn't really need to do too much because of that style of play.

Perfectly called defense by Coach Fangio.
the cards were 2-14 on 3rd downs.
only had 265 net yards on offense
they had 3 tackles for a loss of 10 yds

now skelton went 32-52 for 290yds and was sacked 4 times for -32(and once for +1yd)

i do not know how many times he got hit, but it was often enough. they had a passing yardage net of 258yds that is 4.6yds per passing play and often they rushed for with the cards blocking with 6.
I have a question for the veterans. I know the pass rush is not there because teams are using a three step drop most of the times. But why is the corner or comeback route so successful against our corners? I just don't get why they are not jumping those routes.
Originally posted by JCStormbringer:
I have a question for the veterans. I know the pass rush is not there because teams are using a three step drop most of the times. But why is the corner or comeback route so successful against our corners? I just don't get why they are not jumping those routes.

THANK YOU! This play drives me nuts...it works almost 100% of the time. Fangio loves to play his outside CB's a mile off so it's simple 8-10+ yard catches on us every time. I don't understand it. We'll play deep balls tight but allow simple pitch-and-catches EVEN when we bring the blitz. Hello...THAT is the time to jump a route (or at least contest a throw) b/c the QB has to throw quickly d/t the pressure.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by JCStormbringer:

THANK YOU! This play drives me nuts...it works almost 100% of the time. Fangio loves to play his outside CB's a mile off so it's simple 8-10+ yard catches on us every time. I don't understand it. We'll play deep balls tight but allow simple pitch-and-catches EVEN when we bring the blitz. Hello...THAT is the time to jump a route (or at least contest a throw) b/c the QB has to throw quickly d/t the pressure.

Yup i 100% agree. If you give that much cushion, the 3 step drop is unstoppable. They need to make the pass catchers work like dogs to get open and free! Let the CB's beat em up on LOS so they can run with em step for step instead of being on their heels and guessing all day. You feel me!

Oh and the Defensive front is getting alittle worn down, we need to rotate more backup guys in on early downs sometimes so our studs can be fresh on 3rd and important.
[ Edited by Bleed49ers4Life on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:31 AM ]
Originally posted by dtrain2011:

We gave up nothing in the pass game. They threw the ball 50+ times. You guys expect our defense to give up zero yards. Ridiculous

Skelton was under pressure all night. very good pass rush last night
Originally posted by Bleed49ers4Life:
Yup i 100% agree. If you give that much cushion, the 3 step drop is unstoppable. They need to make the pass catchers work like dogs to get open and free! Let the CB's beat em up on LOS so they can run with em step for step instead of being on their heels and guessing all day. You feel me!

Just beat em up at LOS and then just run stride for stride like it is nothing
Originally posted by SportsFan:
We gave up nothing in the pass game. They threw the ball 50+ times. You guys expect our defense to give up zero yards. Ridiculous

YES!!!!!!!,

my problem is that the Giants had the same play and we know the story then.
No rotation duh
Really people are upset about the yards given up? I could watch the game only followed updates on my phone. In the second half I knew fangio was letting them gave the short stuff to eat the clock.

It was part of the game plan. There was plenty of cushion.

Our D held up just fine. Two red zone appearances and only three points to show for it.

Ill take that every game.
Share 49ersWebzone