There are 222 users in the forums

Myth of the "300 yd passer" ...to be a "great" QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
As I recall, GB was a couple of throws from tieing that game. Did you see what SEA did to Rodgers but they still couldn't hold Rodgers down throughout the game. How many times was he sacked in that 1st half. Very difficult for a Defense to sustain a high level throughout a game. We learned that in the Saints game. These are the QB's where even if you are playing great defense, can kill you if their team keeps the game close or if our team cannot separate no matter how great of a defense we are playing.

In the NFCC, Eli Manning played like crap but he also made an AMAZING play that helped his team win: the chinstrap to his nose sideline pass to his RB of all people. Don't forget some of the plays he made in the Superbowls.

These QB's find a way and they usually find it outside the scope the design. In an era of so many even matchups, a play or two is all that's needed and these guys are extremely difficult to plan for or overcome a perfect plan.

Yea, Eli and his "amazing" decision making has the Giants on a two (and soon to be three) game losing streak. And over those two games, he didn't even hit 400 yards passing COMBINED.

It seems to me that fantasy football is seriously warping people's idea of how the game should be played. If I were a coach, I could give a damn if my QB threw for 100 yards a game.

If he's WINNING, that trumps in my mind any "amazing" play he'll have to make for stinking the joint up earlier.

Being an elite QB doesn't necessarily mean lighting up the stat sheet.
Why do people have such a hard time understanding that more yards = more first downs = more time with the offense on the field = more points scored?

The fantasy football excuse is such garbage.
I'm old enough to remember when 200 yard games were the gold standard, sigh...
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Why do people have such a hard time understanding that more yards = more first downs = more time with the offense on the field = more points scored?

Ohh so a perfectly good run game doesn't do the same? Last I checked running the ball eats more clock time then passing.

Probably for the same reason that people think every game should be an offensive shoot out. A strong running game accomplishes exactly the same result (greater time of possession), and more importantly if a WIN is the result, why is it so important for the QB to rack up a bunch of passing yards?

Matt Schaub is using this same formula to great effect with the Texans and I don't see anyone clamoring for him to be benched because he isn't throwing for 300 yards and 4TD's every game.

Why? Because he is WINNING games.

The idea that the QB is not doing something right because of a (perceived) lack of passing stats, even though he is winning games is the only thing absurd here.
[ Edited by baltien on Nov 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM ]
Kap debunked this myth by only passing for 200+ and having greatness.

When you have a great RB you dont throw 40 times a game.
Originally posted by jreff22:

When you have a great RB you dont throw 40 times a game.

Agreed.

Also, high YPA >>> yards

First, your logic is flawed. The first three do not necessarily lead to more points. But since 2009 300 yard games do generally lead to more wins.
Prior to 2009 a QB who threw for 300 yards won slightly less than 50% of the time. With all of the rule changes favoring the offense it has changed.
Still, winning is more important than statistics.
To add to Jreff, not only do we have a great RB, we have a terrific running game. Put hunter in, we still power on, tho he looks a bit quicker, not nearly as strong. Still the two, with the OL( incl 3 1st rd picks), makes this if not THE most lethal running game in the league, it is sure is tied for first. Texans have a hot shot running game also, but I like ours better incl OL and Hunter. Also have to include Miller in the running game, with his crushing 2nd level blocks.

And with a running game like ours, to pass for 300 yds/game would be goofy.

Share 49ersWebzone