There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

For WZ members that have been following football 35 + years

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by cciowa:
is it a fair statement to say alex has been pummeled into submission over the years before jh came to town? maybe instead of all this comparing alex to aikman stuff maybe the plunkett comparison to alex is more favorable?? or at least his situation?

That is a comparison I really think is apt. I watched Plunkett drop back and before he could reach his set point he was being hit. That really destroys a QB after a while. I give Flores all the credit in the world to realize he needed time to sit and get his bearings again. SF just put him in and hoped he could win. 13 TDs, 16 Ints and 9 TDs, 14 Ints in his two years with the 9ers.

Not sure I've ever seen a QB shake off multple hard hits over numerous games without being affected. Even YA became a bit shell shocked the last year of his career--something my father couldn't believe...10 TDs and 22 Ints...and numerous ducking downs.
While I don't have the memory of how individual QB's played, the situation for both are similiar. We had a horrible offensive line during Plunketts years while Oakland had that great offensive line. I've mentioned this in other threads.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Born49R:
is it a fair statement to say alex has been pummeled into submission over the years before jh came to town? maybe instead of all this comparing alex to aikman stuff maybe the plunkett comparison to alex is more favorable?? or at least his situation?

That is a comparison I really think is apt. I watched Plunkett drop back and before he could reach his set point he was being hit. That really destroys a QB after a while. I give Flores all the credit in the world to realize he needed time to sit and get his bearings again. SF just put him in and hoped he could win. 13 TDs, 16 Ints and 9 TDs, 14 Ints in his two years with the 9ers.

Not sure I've ever seen a QB shake off multple hard hits over numerous games without being affected. Even YA became a bit shell shocked the last year of his career--something my father couldn't believe...10 TDs and 22 Ints...and numerous ducking downs.
While I don't have the memory of how individual QB's played, the situation for both are similiar. We had a horrible offensive line during Plunketts years while Oakland had that great offensive line. I've mentioned this in other threads.
our offensive line when plunkett played was very good in the run and average in pass protection. just like this year. when plunkett played we rode delvin williams to over 1000 yards and wilbur jackson to about 800 which was good then in the 14 game scedule. that is why i compare that team to this years, ,
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the same can be said for montana and young in thier last years. I know i had a heart attack when i saw young and montana get hit in thier last years,,, i remember never having that feeling when they were younger

The thing I like least in football is seeing a guy take an unseen hit. Montana took some hits that just made me sick...and now he and the other retired QBs are paying for it. Same with other positions. Hope they can figure out a way to limit concussions...I advocate leather helmets...no more using the helmet and head as a weapon. Rugby is still a rough sport but they don't stick their heads in front of knees to make a tackle!
you could still not stop conrad dobler from biting people
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
in my opinion the kids tuning in today could learn something from this thread

Good old Doberman! What a crazy guy...but the DL were always watching for him first and the RB second.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

I think a person even gets a better perspective from playing the game in the bygone era and then watching through the years. Played in High School and D-3 College in the 70's. Played linebacker, it is amazing how the rules have evolved to favor the offense. In the 60's and 70's I would say the rules almost unfairly favored defensive players and guys liked to play defense. It has now done a 180 switch to favor the offense. Most coaches in High School and College steer their best athletes toward playing offense. The offensive explosion is in a large part due to rule changes, but also to positions the better athletes are steered to and want to play when they are younger. As for stats they don't tell the whole story, there are many fallacies from trying to determine what happened in a game just looking at a box score.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Good old Doberman! What a crazy guy...but the DL were always watching for him first and the RB second.
which may explain why terry metcalf was so good, that was a great offensive line the cards had. i remember when thier line went up against our gold rush in a great great matchup in that 1975/76 season i have made reference to today. we beat them but it was a war. perhaps the two best lines in the history of the game went toe to toe.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:

I think a person even gets a better perspective from playing the game in the bygone era and then watching through the years. Played in High School and D-3 College in the 70's. Played linebacker, it is amazing how the rules have evolved to favor the offense. In the 60's and 70's I would say the rules almost unfairly favored defensive players and guys liked to play defense. It has now done a 180 switch to favor the offense. Most coaches in High School and College steer their best athletes toward playing offense. The offensive explosion is in a large part due to rule changes, but also to positions the better athletes are steered to and want to play when they are younger. As for stats they don't tell the whole story, there are many fallacies from trying to determine what happened in a game just looking at a box score.
you could head slap back then
  • BobS
  • Veteran

you could head slap back then
Head slap while the lineman trying to block you could not extend his arms trying to block, kind of like hitting a punching bag. The good old days.
Head slap while the lineman trying to block you could not extend his arms trying to block, kind of like hitting a punching bag. The good old days.

Somehow, being an OLineman...I had a different perspective!
That leather helmet idea is interesting to say the least. When you think of the size of these guys, the speed they are traveling at, etc..bad things happen when they collide.

As for people knocking the comparisons, you have to go back to the original question in the thread. We are comparing skill sets. Not what they actually produced. It's like the scouting combine. All you are doing is looking at skill sets and looking at how they project into certain offense, how they fit a team, etc.

Since Plunkett got brought into the discussion, what did Flores do with him? What kind of weapons did he have? What offense did they run and why did it work better there than it did in NE and San Fran?
Originally posted by 1For13On3rdDown:
Why are people in this thread comparing Alex Smith to successful quarterbacks? Why?

You know who Alex Smith is? Alex Smith is Trent Dilfer. Alex Smith is Neil O'Donnell. Alex Smith is that mediocre, unproductive starter who hands it off and is just safe enough to not ruin everything for his defense.

great username
Originally posted by jreff22:
Why are people in this thread comparing Alex Smith to successful quarterbacks? Why?

You know who Alex Smith is? Alex Smith is Trent Dilfer. Alex Smith is Neil O'Donnell. Alex Smith is that mediocre, unproductive starter who hands it off and is just safe enough to not ruin everything for his defense.

great username

If looks like a troll, speaks like a troll, well, it's probably a troll.
If the point of this thread is to compare Alex's skill set to past Super Bowl champion QB's, I'd compare him most to Mark Rypien.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by jreff22:

great username

If looks like a troll, speaks like a troll, well, it's probably a troll.
Is troll a new kind of offense ??