There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
- Would have NEVER been drafted IMO -

I state that for several reasons... I'll start with my MAIN thought process, and end it there.
The San Francisco 49ers, under "Eddie D", and whom ever was in charge of the team, would
have Never, Eva' Eva' Ever, been a position to have the Number 1 Overall pick of the NFL
draft in 2005

Just my .02¢

Exactly.
  • DRnSFw
  • Veteran
FVCK NO!
Originally posted by CollgeBoyWithaSS:
I say yes. He would have hired a coaching staff that knows how to develop a QB. Not throw him into the fire at 21 years old with the worst team in history.

I doubt this. Harbaugh is a coach with a staff that knows how to develop a QB and Alex's play this year wouldn't be good enough to make Eddie D. keep him around. He had a great QB rating because he plays cautious and takes very little risk, which usually leads to other parts of the team having to carry the load. It's unlikely he would be fooled by that statistic.

Anyone who is not looking for bullet points in an attempt to argue Alex's case can see he doesn't have what it takes to carry his team on his shoulders the way championship-caliber QBs routinely do in the NFL. Sure, he'll give you a brilliant play here and there, but it's so inconsistent that most unbiased fans (fans from pretty much any other team) won't recognize the argument his supporters will use.

I support the guy, but I also acknowledge his limitations. I don't see any way Eddie would have kept him around.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I say yes. He would have hired a coaching staff that knows how to develop a QB. Not throw him into the fire at 21 years old with the worst team in history.

I doubt this. Harbaugh is a coach with a staff that knows how to develop a QB and Alex's play this year wouldn't be good enough to make Eddie D. keep him around. He had a great QB rating because he plays cautious and takes very little risk, which usually leads to other parts of the team having to carry the load. It's unlikely he would be fooled by that statistic.

Anyone who is not looking for bullet points in an attempt to argue Alex's case can see he doesn't have what it takes to carry his team on his shoulders the way championship-caliber QBs routinely do in the NFL. Sure, he'll give you a brilliant play here and there, but it's so inconsistent that most unbiased fans (fans from pretty much any other team) won't recognize the argument his supporters will use.

I support the guy, but I also acknowledge his limitations. I don't see any way Eddie would have kept him around.
how much of that is conditioned from the early years?
Originally posted by jreff22:

Doesnt change the facts though. I doubt Eddie D would buy that argument. Nor does it excuse Alex's "hesitancy" with our current scheme.
Originally posted by Faraz80:

Doesnt change the facts though. I doubt Eddie D would buy that argument. Nor does it excuse Alex's "hesitancy" with our current scheme.

Eddie wouldn't have let that scenario happen. You think he would make a rookie play with 0 talent and then have his starting QB play with a f**ked shoulder? This come from years of issues, it wasn't an overnight thing.

Eddie wouldn't have let that scenario happen. You think he would make a rookie play with 0 talent and then have his starting QB play with a f**ked shoulder? This come from years of issues, it wasn't an overnight thing.

He would've addressed the coaches first, coaches would've said "we don't block well", Eddie D. would've got the talent to block for our young QB and go from there.

Doesnt change the type of player Alex is, though, IMO. If you're trying to allude that by surrounding Alex with the right players/system/coaches from day 1, we would be seeing a completely different Alex right now....in terms of being elite...then I disagree. I dont think he could or would have ever achieved elite status. What we're seeing now is basically his ceiling, and I dont think Eddie D. wouldve accepted it, regardless of what year this was in Alex's career.

Doesnt change the type of player Alex is, though, IMO. If you're trying to allude that by surrounding Alex with the right players/system/coaches from day 1, we would be seeing a completely different Alex right now....in terms of being elite...then I disagree. I dont think he could or would have ever achieved elite status. What we're seeing now is basically his ceiling, and I dont think Eddie D. wouldve accepted it, regardless of what year this was in Alex's career.

Confidence comes from building trust over time with guys, Joe and Jerry were on the same page for years, YEARS. Alex had a crap coaching staff and little to no help which put him in the be super safe mindset because 1 error could lose a game easily. Eddie wouldn't surround his guys with 0 talent and idiot coaches. Alex is not elite I agree but many of his issues are from the Nolan/Sing years of f**kups.

Confidence comes from building trust over time with guys, Joe and Jerry were on the same page for years, YEARS. Alex had a crap coaching staff and little to no help which put him in the be super safe mindset because 1 error could lose a game easily. Eddie wouldn't surround his guys with 0 talent and idiot coaches. Alex is not elite I agree but many of his issues are from the Nolan/Sing years of f**kups.

But would he have been any better than he is now ? And this is assuming that Alex "now" is just a little better than a game manager. Serviceable to good, at best. Most likely ranked 10-15 in the QB caroussel.

I still dont think Eddie D would accept that on this team.
Alex Smith sucks so bad. I can't believe he had an incomplete pass last night! Loser!!!
Based on the fact that Alex is rated a top 10 QB, it's pretty safe to say that Eddie wouldn't have said much to Walsh...and Walsh would have kept him.
Alex Smith Thread #4...ready, set, go!

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Based on the fact that Alex is rated a top 10 QB, it's pretty safe to say that Eddie wouldn't have said much to Walsh...and Walsh would have kept him.

Why dude....... Why?
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
- Would have NEVER been drafted IMO -

I state that for several reasons... I'll start with my MAIN thought process, and end it there.
The San Francisco 49ers, under "Eddie D", and whom ever was in charge of the team, would
have Never, Eva' Eva' Ever, been a position to have the Number 1 Overall pick of the NFL
draft in 2005

Just my .02¢

DeBartolo overspent and backloaded a ton of contracts leading up to his departure in 2000. His final two years with the team had them produce records of 4-12 and 6-10. He spent money and didn't make personnel decisions. Once the salary cap hit in '94, his value as a unique individual diminished. Erickson and Donahue might have been horrible decisions, but they both came at the recommendation of Bill Walsh.