LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Are the Niners better than they were last year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
We are winning games and overcoming other teams and our own mistakes. Good enough for me.

problem is that' we're making more mistakes this year..............

i dont understand, we ahve a top tier overall team...and fans are "OMG i just so happy we won"

Hello !?! we are a top tier team who is suppose to be laying out MFKRS !!!!
More fun:

In the first 7 games last year, we faced QBs who had an average season-long QB rating of 84.75...we held them to a QB rating of 80.

In the first 7 games last year, we faced QBs who had an average season-long QB rating of 86.65...we held them to a QB rating of 73.6.

2011 - opposing QBs under-performed by 5.6%. This year? they've under-performed by 15.05%!
Originally posted by cciowa:
sac and nick are both good guys, i hope they call a truce

Thanks cc... Honestly, I have no idea what our debate was about or what is going on so I will just back away...
Originally posted by sacniner:
Thanks cc... Honestly, I have no idea what our debate was about or what is going on so I will just back away...

misunderstanding post language? Arguing over semantics.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Oh, okay. I thought we were saying the same thing, lol.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Easy...don't all comment at once now.

We are the same, Our Offense can get shut down by a good defense

Our primary concern, how we respond to serious defenses.

Our defense will carry us as long as we put points on the board, NO MATTER WHO WE PLAY.
They are that good, just our lack of execution on offense might distract us from their importance in someone else eyes', since they're on the field more often and are being given bigger and bigger burdens every time we don't score/convert.
[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Oct 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM ]
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:

Our defense will carry us as long as we put points on the board, NO MATTER WHO WE PLAY.
They are that good, just our lack of execution on offense might distract us from their importance in someone else eyes', since they're on the field more often and are being given bigger and bigger burdens every time we don't score/convert.

Seattle is the only team with a Top 3 Pass D and Rush D, according to footballoutsiders (DVOA). Chicago is close.

I am worried about the game vs. Miami. They have a brutal Run D that would force us to pass.

Seattle is the only team with a Top 3 Pass D and Rush D, according to footballoutsiders (DVOA). Chicago is close.

I am worried about the game vs. Miami. They have a brutal Run D that would force us to pass.

I always forget that statline about SEA since I've become accustomed to Frank tearing them up every time we play.

And if MIA does hold our run game down, that'll be another test to our offense to see how we respond, but in this case, not with cute play-calling, rather smart game-planning with counters to their sets. If we're forced to pass, at least set up the big plays with a couple slants here, curl routes (which have REALLY been efficient for Alex's sake, except on 3rd down) just to get Alex and our offense in flow. Then maybe pound the ball to really open them up so now they're all out of sorts on what we're gonna do,

the icing on the cake is the PA Bomb to VD. Of course, the chances of this actually happening exactly as portrayed is very little, but this is just more of a sense of how I feel we should play. Teams that beat us HAVE to have patience, which is what we need to beat teams w/ good defenses.
I always forget that statline about SEA since I've become accustomed to Frank tearing them up every time we play.

And if MIA does hold our run game down, that'll be another test to our offense to see how we respond, but in this case, not with cute play-calling, rather smart game-planning with counters to their sets. If we're forced to pass, at least set up the big plays with a couple slants here, curl routes (which have REALLY been efficient for Alex's sake, except on 3rd down) just to get Alex and our offense in flow. Then maybe pound the ball to really open them up so now they're all out of sorts on what we're gonna do,

the icing on the cake is the PA Bomb to VD. Of course, the chances of this actually happening exactly as portrayed is very little, but this is just more of a sense of how I feel we should play. Teams that beat us HAVE to have patience, which is what we need to beat teams w/ good defenses.

Yes, but we ran fine vs. the Giants and Vikings...when we wanted to. Roman just thought we should air it out for no real reason.
On paper yes, but they don't seem to be on the field...like they are getting soft...

Remember that the knock on our offense was that we were only scoring because we got short fields, whether because of turnovers by the defense or returns by special teams. We all knew the crazy turnover margin wouldn't hold up, so could the offense improve enough to drive down the field and put up points?

In 2011 our turnover margin was +28; in 2012 it's +2.

In 2011 we averaged 23.8 points a game while the offense gained on average 310.9 yards a game.

In 2012 the offense is gaining 376.4 yards a game (much greater than last year) and scoring 23.6 points--nearly the same as last year, points-wise--showing that the offense has improved enough to score in spite of not getting those short fields consistently. And that's including a couple of real stinker games, too.

The major questions this offseason were about our offense. As a whole they aren't an "elite" unit but they have improved enough to not rely solely on the defense to put them in scoring position, which is something we can agree is a good thing.
[ Edited by ninermedic on Oct 26, 2012 at 7:04 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

when i play the peacekeeper around here we have indeed entered a surreal part of the web zone
More fun:

In the first 7 games last year, we faced QBs who had an average season-long QB rating of 84.75...we held them to a QB rating of 80.

In the first 7 games last year, we faced QBs who had an average season-long QB rating of 86.65...we held them to a QB rating of 73.6.

2011 - opposing QBs under-performed by 5.6%. This year? they've under-performed by 15.05%!

I know this is petty, but can you edit this to correct years indicated? I believe you meant the second line to read this year?

Originally posted by ninermedic:
Remember that the knock on our offense was that we were only scoring because we got short fields, whether because of turnovers by the defense or returns by special teams. We all knew the crazy turnover margin wouldn't hold up, so could the offense improve enough to drive down the field and put up points?

In 2011 we averaged 23.8 points a game while the offense gained on average 310.9 yards a game.

In 2012 the offense is gaining 376.4 yards a game (much greater than last year) and scoring 23.6 points--nearly the same as last year, points-wise--showing that the offense has improved enough to score in spite of not getting those short fields consistently. And that's including a couple of real stinker games, too.

The major questions this offseason were about our offense. As a whole they aren't an "elite" unit but they have improved enough to not rely solely on the defense to put them in scoring position, which is something we can agree is a good thing.

Good point and this is why I like this year's team in the playoffs more than last year's. Overall more solid and much more depth.
Originally posted by ninermedic:

We have an elite running game. A historically elite one.
We have an elite running game. A historically elite one.

Agreed. I simply mean offense big picture, to include our inconsistent passing game.
Share 49ersWebzone