There are 395 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are the Niners better than they were last year?

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Idiotic.

Do you know that we're the best rushing team in over 25 years??? and you want to look at how many passing yards we have? Alex Smith is throwing for 14% more yards per attempt and we're rushing for 31% more yards per carry!!!

WTF is your point? And are you calling me idiotic? I said that we are better on offense
Originally posted by Joecool:
Defense is better. Our points per game allowed 7 games in is lower than last year. This year: 14.3: las year 15.3.

Our offense may have gotten worse:
2011 ppg: 26.7 (this includes the ST and Defensive TD's)
2012 ppg: 23.6

No. We're scoring 13.5% more points per drive on offense, while allowing 7.5% more points per drive on defense. You could also factor out ST points if you wanted to.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Thanks for posting. Kind of what I thought. Our defnese is allowing less yards, with less sacks. They are blitzing a lot less this year I think and keeping more in coverage. And, if you are giving up less points and less yards you can't argue with that formula.

Identical opposing QB rating (2012 vs. ALL of 2011). 73.6.

30% fewer sacks per passing play, same result.

No, not the same result. Fewer POINTS (thats what matters, not stupid a55 QB rating) and fewer yards. This matters. Step your game up and worry about the numbers that matter.
No. We're scoring 13.5% more points per drive on offense, while allowing 7.5% more points per drive on defense. You could also factor out ST points if you wanted to.

Your meaningless percentages...

Every game is different and you can't rely on meaningless percentages like 7.5% more per drive. Give us your data and methods if you are throwing out numbers like this also. Get off your pedestal too.

Total points and yards per game is what matters.
WTF is your point? And are you calling me idiotic? I said that we are better on offense

You brought up yards per game as an alternative to QB Rating. And that's just dumb, particularly because its not true. We're putting up 380 yards a game vs. 300 per game through seven games last year.

55% of the additional yards are on the ground, which is really, really hard to do. "Hard Yards"
Your meaningless percentages...

Every game is different and you can't rely on meaningless percentages like 7.5% more per drive. Give us your data and methods if you are throwing out numbers like this also. Get off your pedestal too.

Total points and yards per game is what matters.

Its all on footballoutsiders.com
No, not the same result. Fewer POINTS (thats what matters, not stupid a55 QB rating) and fewer yards. This matters. Step your game up and worry about the numbers that matter.

Yeah, we're BETTER in 2012. 107 points allowed through 7 games last year, 100 this year. AND, we allowed a punt return (technically, it was BS) against the Packers, so our defense has allowed 93 points in 7 games.

15% more more defensive points allowed per game through 7 games last year, bro. We're better on D.

And on offense, we scored two special teams TDs vs Seattle last year. So, our offense only scored 5% more points per game last year. That EVAPORATES if David Akers makes the same Field Goal % as last year. 15/17 through 7 games last year, 13/18 this year. ** If Akers had the same FG% through 7 games this year as he did through 7 games last year, offensive points scored would be IDENTICAL -- 165 points through 7 games.

*** We lack consistency.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
we know for a fact our special teams coverage units are much much worse than last year. i still quibble a bit about our pass protection at times and i have issues with the coaching at times. we got outcoached in two losses and with the supposed wonder boys we have as coaches, that should not happen. i have some mild concerns about a back up outside linebacker but overall no real b***hes other than the special teams. tough tough scedule 5-2 in first place is ok with me

We're still the 10th best in field position.
i guess i am just upset about some of the returns we are giving up. if that is my only legit b***h,, things are not tragic
You brought up yards per game as an alternative to QB Rating. And that's just dumb, particularly because its not true. We're putting up 380 yards a game vs. 300 per game through seven games last year.

55% of the additional yards are on the ground, which is really, really hard to do. "Hard Yards"

No, I didn't man. I don't use it as an alternative. The rating is equal and we are giving up less yards and points. Therefore, I'm saying our D is at least as good if not better. I think your incoherent point is that our D is worse? Is that what you're trying to say?

And I said I think our offense is better. So why the hell you bringing up the yards per game stat with me? It's extrmely hard to tell what your point is man. Stick to a few strong stats and make your points clear.
Yeah, we're BETTER in 2012. 107 points allowed through 7 games last year, 100 this year. AND, we allowed a punt return (technically, it was BS) against the Packers, so our defense has allowed 93 points in 7 games.

15% more more defensive points allowed per game through 7 games last year, bro. We're better on D.

And on offense, we scored two special teams TDs vs Seattle last year. So, our offense only scored 5% more points per game last year. That EVAPORATES if David Akers makes the same Field Goal % as last year. 15/17 through 7 games last year, 13/18 this year. ** If Akers had the same FG% through 7 games this year as he did through 7 games last year, offensive points scored would be IDENTICAL -- 165 points through 7 games.

*** We lack consistency.

Dude, your stats don't tell the entire story. Who did we play the first seven games this year and last? Our schedule is much more difficult. What was the context of each game (i.e. garbage time TDs?). Teams actually get up for us this year. When talking football, stats don't always give you the entire picture. That is what you think and it ain't true. There is some color outside of the grey area. Maybe your football bars aren't on point to realize this stuff.

Again, on offense I said we are slightly better. So, what is your point?

And, just to let you know, not saying your stats and numbers are wrong but I don't know if they are completely right cause I have to take your word for it.
i guess i am just upset about some of the returns we are giving up. if that is my only legit b***h,, things are not tragic

Well on punts, throw out Cobb's erroneous 75 yard punt return for a TD. that puts us at 6.2 yards per return, better than last year's season average and better than we allowed through 7 games!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Well on punts, throw out Cobb's erroneous 75 yard punt return for a TD. that puts us at 6.2 yards per return, better than last year's season average and better than we allowed through 7 games!
ok, good points, i will try to keep an open mind but am still concerned about bad tackling and dixon on special teams
No, I didn't man. I don't use it as an alternative. The rating is equal and we are giving up less yards and points. Therefore, I'm saying our D is at least as good if not better. I think your incoherent point is that our D is worse? Is that what you're trying to say?

And I said I think our offense is better. So why the hell you bringing up the yards per game stat with me? It's extrmely hard to tell what your point is man. Stick to a few strong stats and make your points clear.

My argument is that we are better in every facet of the game except for kicking -- this is objective fact. Even with punt coverage, we're just as good as last year if you exclude Cobb's BS return that should have been called back.

We're allowing 10 more yards per KO return and missing an extra field goal out of every 6 attempted. That's awful.

*** We lack consistency.

Dude, your stats don't tell the entire story. Who did we play the first seven games this year and last? Our schedule is much more difficult. What was the context of each game (i.e. garbage time TDs?). Teams actually get up for us this year. When talking football, stats don't always give you the entire picture. That is what you think and it ain't true. There is some color outside of the grey area. Maybe your football bars aren't on point to realize this stuff.

Again, on offense I said we are slightly better. So, what is your point?

And, just to let you know, not saying your stats and numbers are wrong but I don't know if they are completely right cause I have to take your word for it.

hahaha, i think Nick Bradley thought you were saying our offense was worse ebcause of yards per VS QBR, honestly think you guys are going toe to toe for no reason. In fact sac was talking about how our DEFENSE was better for giving up less yards and points etc. Kind of a hostile mis understanding, and to call his post idiotic was just crazy, everyone can make a point and they dont have to sit and collect more exotic stats to do so. just watch the games and you will know what you need too. and focus on points allowed VS points scored mostly.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

My argument is that we are better in every facet of the game except for kicking -- this is objective fact. Even with punt coverage, we're just as good as last year if you exclude Cobb's BS return that should have been called back.

We're allowing 10 more yards per KO return and missing an extra field goal out of every 6 attempted. That's awful.
lucky that lee was able to punt and hold with a broken thumb. sounds like that is ok now. i am sticking my head in the sand about our field goals we have missed. i do not want to face a possible decline by our kicker