There are 194 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are the Niners better than they were last year?

  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,743
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
We are winning games and overcoming other teams and our own mistakes. Good enough for me.
we are 5-2 and in first place, good enough for me
Run D - Slightly Worse, Still Top 10
Pass D - Better, 1st in League
Turnovers - Not as good but hard to do what we did last year
Sacks - Much worse than last year...

ST... Kicking - Worse, Akers was 44/52 last year, 13/18 this year
ST... Punting - About the same... maybe not as good but we were outstanding last year
ST... Punt Coverage -Slightly Worse than last year, still pretty good
ST... Kick Coverage - Much worse than last year
ST... Kick Return - Slightly Worse, not as many big plays, not as good of a starting average... too many starting out at 15 or so
ST... Punt Return - Slightly worse, a few big returns...not bad but we should see it improve

Run Game - much much much better.... we are just as creative but our OL is 10x better... Boone over Snyder is like worst OG to one of the best OG...Goodwin and Davis also playing much much better this year...

Pass Blocking - better but still have our bad games

Pass Game - We have more weapons... we are a bit inconsistent but we show a lot more talent and potential than last year

Turnovers - We are still doing pretty good. Not too many fumbles, ints are on a higher rate but hard to top the record (tie) last year of 5

Coaching - We seem to be doing better with game plans and adjusting. The 2 games we lost we outsmarted ourselves. Still some blunders and timeout management to fix.

I think we are about as good as we were last year overall but have more potential. We have had a tougher schedule and teams aren't taking us lightly anymore. We haven't surprised anyone and they all seem to be giving us their best shots.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM ]
Way better running team! On pace to break NFL record for team yards per carry!
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Run D - Slightly Worse, Still Top 10
Pass D - Better, 1st in League
Turnovers - Not as good but hard to do what we did last year
Sacks - Much worse than last year...

ST... Kicking - Worse, Akers was 44/52 last year, 13/18 this year
ST... Punting - About the same... maybe not as good but we were outstanding last year
ST... Punt Coverage -Slightly Worse than last year, still pretty good
ST... Kick Coverage - Much worse than last year
ST... Kick Return - Slightly Worse, not as many big plays, not as good of a starting average... too many starting out at 15 or so
ST... Punt Return - Slightly worse, a few big returns...not bad but we should see it improve

Run Game - much much much better.... we are just as creative but our OL is 10x better... Boone over Snyder is like worst OG to one of the best OG...Goodwin and Davis also playing much much better this year...

Pass Blocking - better but still have our bad games

Pass Game - We have more weapons... we are a bit inconsistent but we show a lot more talent and potential than last year

Turnovers - We are still doing pretty good. Not too many fumbles, ints are on a higher rate but hard to top the record (tie) last year of 5

Coaching - We seem to be doing better with game plans and adjusting. The 2 games we lost we outsmarted ourselves. Still some blunders and timeout management to fix.

I think we are about as good as we were last year overall but have more potential. We have had a tougher schedule and teams aren't taking us lightly anymore. We haven't surprised anyone and they all seem to be giving us their best shots.

Id like to add to the coaching part also, that until the Seahawks game, I hadn't noticed us make any real significant gameplan changes in the second half, that was something I had to applaud, because even against the Vikes and Giants we seemed to come out with the same gameplan we finished the first half with, Same with the rest of the teams we played.
I'll let you know after the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Id like to add to the coaching part also, that until the Seahawks game, I hadn't noticed us make any real significant gameplan changes in the second half, that was something I had to applaud, because even against the Vikes and Giants we seemed to come out with the same gameplan we finished the first half with, Same with the rest of the teams we played.

We haven't really had to adjust besides the two losses because we had the right game plans to begin with. The Vikes and Giants games we obviously should have ran more. I'm not saying Alex can't lead us to a victory passing but the odds are better running the ball. We are a lot more creative this year. Roman looks like a genius at times and a moron at others though. I wish his red zone play calling was better. The difference between this offense being a good and great one is just us converting in the red zone. We get enough chances with the d, st and our o but obviously aren't scoring enough tds. The offense has much more potential and much better players this year. We have had some outstanding games on offense we just have to be more consistent (as does alex, the o-line, roman, etc)
Originally posted by Gore_21:
We haven't really had to adjust besides the two losses because we had the right game plans to begin with. The Vikes and Giants games we obviously should have ran more. I'm not saying Alex can't lead us to a victory passing but the odds are better running the ball. We are a lot more creative this year. Roman looks like a genius at times and a moron at others though. I wish his red zone play calling was better. The difference between this offense being a good and great one is just us converting in the red zone. We get enough chances with the d, st and our o but obviously aren't scoring enough tds. The offense has much more potential and much better players this year. We have had some outstanding games on offense we just have to be more consistent (as does alex, the o-line, roman, etc)

I agree, he really showed his brilliance going run run run after the huge kickoff return by Kyle Williams
Our running game has gotten better. #1 in the league.

Defense is probably a wash. Less turnovers but #1 in yards per game, #1 passing D and #2 PPG.

Special teams regressed. Akers missed a few kicks already after a great start and the coverage has been sketch.
I'm really suprised this thread isn't getting more love.



P.S. I can't believe the SF Giants totally...........just kidding.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM ]
We're just about the same, specially on offense. -There's no forwards or backwards when your QB throws check-downs, when 70% of his throws over 30+ yards are either overthrown, or intercepted.
i think last years niners were a little better. i dont know why but they just were. defense came up with hella turnovers, VD went off, Gore was Gore. this year Gore is still himself, VD has disappeared and we went from having nameless receivers who do nothing to big name receivers who do nothing. defense is still excellent but last years just seemed like it was a little better
Part of the reason last years niners look so much better is because last year it was totally unexpected. They set the bar pretty high fr themselves this year.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think last years niners were a little better. i dont know why but they just were. defense came up with hella turnovers, VD went off, Gore was Gore. this year Gore is still himself, VD has disappeared and we went from having nameless receivers who do nothing to big name receivers who do nothing. defense is still excellent but last years just seemed like it was a little better

Yet one constant remains......
  • obx49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,172
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
They have improved in some areas, however keep in mind that the competition has also improved. In addition, the 49er's are NOT going to surprise anybody this year as they did last, therefore it would seem that they have regressed in some areas.

Keep in mind also that they have a tougher schedule than they did last year, the price of being in the playoffs.

^
This
I'd like to remind everyone that our offensive players didn't get in sync with the play book until late in season.

Also the pass rush wasn't violent until late in the year. Recall just one sack against Eli in regular season and 0 against Flacco.

I want excellence like everyone else. I think the biggest concerns for us going forward is developing the passing game, good game plans to maximize Smith's comfort level, and just staying healthy.

Bottom line is if we go back to playoffs, can we guarantee never to see that stinker like we saw against NYG (last years playoff game not so much this last one)? We need to make sure that cannot happen again.

All the sacks, turnovers, etc will come on D when the stakes are high. Believe it. Defenses show up more as the season progresses and playoffs.